cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Ask a Beauty Expert

Ask a Beauty ExpertAsk a Beauty Expert

If you know your way around the Beauty Insider Community, chances are you’ve seen a few of our Sephora Pro Artists sharing their looks on the Gallery and dropping their beauty routines in some of our favorite challenge threads.  @ElizaPRO@ShawnPRO, and @ProAmy are Makeup Artists with years of industry experience with a bounty of product knowledge to share. These beauty geniuses are subject matter experts and they give life-changing advice on how to build your basket and put your haul to good use!

We've created this thread to allow you all to better connect with our Sephora Pro Artists here in the BIC! This is a place for you to ask them ANYTHING beauty-related. Don't forget to bookmark this thread by clicking the bookmark icon at the top right of this thread. It will come in handy for those moments you wish you had a beauty expert on speed dial for questions like "is it a good idea to layer these skincare products?" or "what's the best brush for my foundation routine?"

Want to ask a question? Click the 'Reply' button below!

Re: Ask a Beauty Expert

Hi @janiedee and @ShawnPRO ! Sorry, but I gotta butt in to clarify a few things: 

A chemical sunscreen doesn’t need to sink down into your skin to work. Neither does a mineral sunscreen. Chemical and mineral sunscreens form a protective barrier on the surface of your skin: the UV blocking ingredients in sunscreen sit on your skin surface. Both types of sunscreens work mostly by absorbing UV rays that hit your skin surface, converting those rays to heat, and then releasing that heat. Thats how sunscreens protect your skin from UV rays. 

(Yeah, I know weve all been fed the story about mineral sunscreens sitting atop skin and reflecting UV rays vs. chemical sunscreens penetrating skin and absorbing UV rays. But a chemist can tell you thats not true, despite what many sunscreen brands—including Colorescience, unfortunately—claim. Im picking on Colorescience because they make such good products, yet fear monger so much about chemical sunscreens. 🤦‍♀️

Whichever type of sunscreen you apply, you should wait 10-15 minutes for it to set up that barrier all across your skin before you apply anything over it. The exception is applying 2 or more layers of the same sunscreen: apply one layer, then immediately apply another layer. I always apply sunscreen in layers to make sure I use enough (theres no such thing as a little goes a long way when it comes to sunscreen) and dont miss any spots. But if youre applying 2 different sunscreens, then you should give the first one 15 minutes to set up before applying the second sunscreen over it. 

Moisturizers generally aren’t occlusive enough to stop other products from working: 
Spoiler
The Ordinary’s moisturizer isn’t nearly occlusive enough to block other products from penetrating your skin. It’s likely a very good hydrator (it contains lots of good hydrating ingredients) and probably a good moisturizer for some folks. But really, the only moisturizer that can block penetration of other ingredients is petrolatum (petroleum jelly), which is the most occlusive skincare ingredient available. And even petrolatum isn’t fully occlusive, so I can’t really say it can “block” other ingredients… it can buffer them though, and slow their penetration. That’s why dermatologists and medical estheticians often apply petrolatum-based balms (Vaseline, Aquaphor, CeraVe Healing Ointment, etc.) around patients’ eyes, noses, and mouths before applying in-office chemical peels: to protect those very sensitive areas. 

Anyway, my point is: even if chemical sunscreens needed to penetrate your skin to work (which they don’t), The Ordinary’s moisturizer wouldn’t prevent that from happening. 

Fun fact: you can wash your face, apply moisturizer (that’s not 100% petrolatum) to your damp skin, give the moisturizer a couple minutes to settle in, and then continue with the rest of your skincare routine. Heck, you can apply a leave-on AHA exfoliant over your moisturizer and it’ll still work. I’m not saying you MUST apply moisturizer before everything else in your skincare routine—I don’t do that myself—but it can help folks who have dry skin. 

Some dermatologists recommend patients with sensitive skin apply retinoids over moisturizers. This ensures skin is well moisturized and buffers some of vitamin A’s irritating side effects, which include excessive dryness. I used to always apply my vitamin A products after moisturizer. Now that my skin’s well adapted, I don’t have to do that anymore. 
Depending on your skin type/behavior, Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen can be used a moisturizer. It contains shea butter, dimethicone, and jojoba esters. Those are good moisturizing ingredients. So, you might be able to skip your usual moisturizer and just apply this sunscreen instead. Then Unseen Sunscreen will do triple duty: moisturizer, sunscreen, and makeup primer. In hot weather, I apply this sunscreen instead of my usual moisturizer and it keeps my mostly-dry combo skin happy. But in cold weather, I definitely need to use a moisturizer under Unseen Sunscreen. 

Hi @WinglessOne ,

No need to be sorry. We are a community and this is what I love about us!

Thank you for your comprehensive clarification!

Best,

Shawn

Sephora PRO Artist

Hi @janiedee ,

Yes, you are correct! I will add that chemical sunscreens have come a long way - and either way (before or after moisturizer) the Unseen Sunscreen will work just fine. Supergoop! added clean silicones to their Unseen formula to give it makeup-gripping power, designed to double as a primer for your foundation.

Please let us know how your foundation looks after trying out my recommendations!

Best,

Shawn

Sephora PRO Artist

First things first, I'd try DR. Jart color corrector to cancel out your red. Second Id use a primer that is extra hydrating, also id try the @fenty Hydrating foundation, when your using a beauty blender make sure it's damp before applying and your gonna Pat at your face with the product 🙂 

-Klarrissa ( Sephora beauty advisor 🙂 

I can confidently second the Dr Jart Color Corrector. It also has SPF,always a score.

I have some redness in my cheeks as well and I use the Dr Jart daily to combat it with either Glossier Stretch Concealer lightly patted over or sometimes Pat McGrath concealer,always using fingers for all three.

Definitely try the small pot first as you only need a tiny bit of this color corrector and the smaller size lasts forever. 

Hi!

I recently ordered 2 items from glow recipe, the nicidamide drops and the hyluranoic acid serum. In all the pictures for the products, it shows a pump applicator. I’m writing this because I’m trying to figure out if I’m just being dumb and missing something, or if it was a package mistake. Both of my products came without pumps. So when you take off the lid, it’s literally just the inside of the bottle, so I have no clue how I should be putting it on. So I’m writing this trying to figure out if this is just a mistake on my end. Please let me know. Thanks!

I think I thought this too until I realized I wasn’t supposed to unscrew it rather just pull the cap off. 

Hi alyssaaa07! Call 1-877-SEPHORA if your ordered them online. Take them back to the store to exchange them if they didn't come with a pump. Some brands have refills and it is possible you could have purchased a refill instead of a full product. I would call to make sure that is the case and if so, proceed to exchange for the one you need.

I hope this was helpful.

~Amy

Sephora PRO

Oh no! That’s frustrating. 
I know glow recipe sells refill packaging ie you can buy the moisturizer in a package that you insert into the jar. I wonder if it’s similar for serums and you bought a refill? 

Hi, I have no idea what color foundation or concealer to try. I also have a lot of allergies to makeups. I was wondering if there's a way I can have samples of your foundation in regular and/or matte and if I could also get a sample of concealer as well before deciding which shade if like to purchase. 

The colors I'm thinking of are cream puff, pearl, nude, and taffy. 

Thank you,

Traci 

@tgibb Thank you so much for reaching our to us on here:) We want to suggest a couple of options for you:)

- With samples double check if your local Sephora is allowing them at this time. 

-Get a color match with MCIQ and communicate your need for a clean allergen free makeup. (they may what to know exactly what kind of allergy you hae)

-Alternatively you can book a session with a PRO artist via this link and we can answer all your questions and suggest the best products for you from the comfort of your own home!

https://www.sephora.com/happening/home

-With regaurd to shade it looks like you may be referencing Too faced? The MCIQ will help intuitively match you based on your preferences of coverage, finish and formula plus it will link directly with your beaut insider account.

Eliza, 

Please accept my apology for whining… 

I live in the Indianapolis area and I’ve visited 3 different Sephora’s - no one seems to know what the heck MCIQ is. This is frustrating for me. Every foundation shade I have tried this winter - none have been a good match for me. I realize that MCIQ isn’t the answer to world peace but when I had my color IQ back in the day, I had a baseline to start with. I would do a search on Sephora’s website and then find samples that aligned to the foundations I wanted to try.  

i now have 3 different foundations - my fault - that people shade matched for me in the stores and while they may have looked fine under their lights - not so much when I’m outside or in different kind of lighting. 

i looked into the appointment with the beauty pro from home however that doesn’t address the MCIQ and I don’t want to take a chance purchasing another foundation that doesn’t look good on me. 

Do you have a list of Sephora stores that do MCIQ? 

PS to everyone that has told me to go to findation - that would mean I’d have an idea of what already works for me….I don’t. 

Very beautiful 🙂

@glossfiend  YOU are very beautiful!❣️

I want to learn how to makeup. I never use makeup before. Where and how do I start? Does Sephora offer makeup classes?

Hello Katie2403!

Yes! We offer Virtual Consultations where a Sephora PRO will walk you through anything you want to learn with in an hour. 🙂 Go to the top of the website where you see "Stores and Services". Click on that and scroll down to Virtual Consultations and book what time is best for you!!!

https://www.sephora.com/happening/home

In the meanwhile, what is the one thing you want to learn first? We can do our best to answer your questions here, too!

Hope to see you soon!

~Amy

Sephora PRO Artist

My question is simple. Do I need an other brush to use the Translucent loose setting powder if I have the 196 synthetic slanted flat top foundation brush of MAC? If I can/need an other one what's your suggest?

Thank you!

Hi stephmalletC!

I got you 🙂

I recommend the SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Powder Brush #59  for sure. If I want a little more targeted control of my loose powder, I will sometimes use SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Contour Brush #79. It is a bit smaller but the same shape and more dense for more control.

Hope this helped!

~Amy

Sephora PRO Artist

Hi! I’ve been struggling to get rid of my blackheads and whiteheads on my nose and chin for my entire life. I’ve managed to tame all of my other acne issues except for this one. Do you have any product recommendations for oily skin?

thank you:)

Hi @celinayg  

Black heads are no fun! I want to suggest a product that you may not have tried yet. Its from Peter Thomas Roth Peter Thomas Roth PRO Strength Microdermabrasion Blackhead Eliminator 2 oz/ 57 mL  This is an intensive triple action rinse off treatment. It's going to help eliminate and treat the look of black heads and even white heads in the skin.

I would recommend using this 1-2x per week with your skin routine! 

Does Sephora still do skin consultations? I can't find anything about it at the locations near me. I need some skincare help and would love to go in and see what they can recommend based on my concerns. 

Anyone?? 

1 Reply
testing