cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Ask a Beauty Expert

Ask a Beauty ExpertAsk a Beauty Expert

If you know your way around the Beauty Insider Community, chances are you’ve seen a few of our Sephora Pro Artists sharing their looks on the Gallery and dropping their beauty routines in some of our favorite challenge threads.  @ElizaPRO@ShawnPRO, and @ProAmy are Makeup Artists with years of industry experience with a bounty of product knowledge to share. These beauty geniuses are subject matter experts and they give life-changing advice on how to build your basket and put your haul to good use!

We've created this thread to allow you all to better connect with our Sephora Pro Artists here in the BIC! This is a place for you to ask them ANYTHING beauty-related. Don't forget to bookmark this thread by clicking the bookmark icon at the top right of this thread. It will come in handy for those moments you wish you had a beauty expert on speed dial for questions like "is it a good idea to layer these skincare products?" or "what's the best brush for my foundation routine?"

Want to ask a question? Click the 'Reply' button below!

Re: Ask a Beauty Expert

@caniwatchu46 , what works for me is either:

I usually give my foundation a few minutes to set after using powder or a setting spray, then I go in with other products (blush/bronzer).  I work in to out, concentrating the highest amount of color on the apples of my cheeks and then blending out.

Or if the formula of the blush is a cream and goes on a little patchy, I'll use my index finger and tap some in as needed the go over my whole face with a clean blending brush, like Wayne Goss' airbrush.

Thanks for the reply. I use both powder and cream blushes but prefer the powder. I use the same technique you described, except I don’t wait a while before applying blush..so will try that. 

Ah,  @caniwatchu46 , great minds apply alike.  Hope waiting helps!

If not, I also forgot to take the brush shapes into account.  If the blush is really pigmented, a fan or tapered brush will work for me better than a round brush.

Hi! I burnt my cheek/jaw a couple months ago, with a curling iron, luckily it wasn’t painful at all. Unluckily, it has left a mark/scar that is sticking around much longer than I expected! It has faded some, but is still quite noticeable. 

Do you have any suggestions for how to help this scar fade? 

My skincare routine includes:

- inkey list and sephora brand gel cleansers 

- farmacy deep sweep toner in the AM and the ordinary glycolic toner in the PM

- farmacy or FAB ultra repair cream

- eradikate overnight lotion at night

- not daily, but in regular rotation: exfolikate, Orgins out of trouble and hello calm, other assorted hydrating masks  

Thanks!

Hi @freyamaclean ,

Happy New Year!

I recommend Topicals Faded Serum for Dark Spots & Discoloration 1.7 oz/ 50 mL to help with the lingering discoloration/scar. It contains Tranexamic and NIacinamide to fade spots and even out skin tone. The Azelaic acid will help improve skin texture and brighten the skin.

You would apply this after toners, before moisturizers. Start once a week and gradually use upto twice, then three times a week. You can use either day or night, but make sure to always use sunscreen in the morning. I recommend Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ 2.5 oz/ 73.9 mL ! 

I hope this helps - keep us posted in your skin's progress!

Best,

Shawn

Sephora PRO Artist

Thanks for the response! I should have mentioned I have a coconut allergy. Is there another similar product that you’d recommend as an alternative?

@freyamaclean 

The ordinary makes The Ordinary Azelaic Acid 10% Suspension Brightening Cream and I also love Hyper Skin Mini Brightening Dark Spot Vitamin C Serum 0.5 oz/ 15 mL that could work.  (The serum is coconut free but has a ton of other helpful ingredients, but you may want to double check for yourself.) Also, since you use the inkey list they also have The INKEY List Tranexamic Acid Hyperpigmentation Treatment 1 oz/ 30 mL 

I have really sensitive eyes after eye surgery. What's a good mascara for sensitive eyes

Hi @em131713 ,

Happy New Year!

I recommend ILIA Limitless Lash Lengthening Clean Mascara After Midnight  - this mascara is ophthalmologist-tested, safe for sensitive eyes, and safe for contact lens wearers!

Best,

Shawn

Sephora PRO Artist

Hi! I have very very sensitive skin and eczema, my eyes have the biggest dark circles youll ever see and my eye lids are so dry theyre sore. my doctor prescribed me a cortisone cream for when its extremely dry but Id like to use a daily cream for my eyes that would hydrate and treat my dark circles at the same time. I need suggestions, no fragrances. .... and again... very sensitive skin, please help 🥲

I’ve suffered from extremely dry skin - there isn’t necessarily a single solution product. I’d recommend looking at products for hydration (hyaluronic acid serums) and then an occlusive moisturizer over top (such as LANEIGE Water Sleeping Mask with Squalane 2.3 oz/ 70 mL). Moisturizers with ceramides will help rebuild your moisture barrier which is a good starting point (I like Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin ™ Moisturizing Cream). Once the hydration and moisture concerns are addressed, vitamin C is great for brightening skin (I like thOLEHENRIKSEN Banana Bright Eye Crème 0.5 oz/ 15 mL). Good luck!

I received the Tatcha eye cream and because the packaging is so slippery I cannot open the jar at all.... Suggestions???

@Stageright Hold it with a towel or washcloth. This will allow you to get a better grip. 

I bought sauvage eau de parfum.Is it for men or women?

@cchav Dior Sauvage is marketed as a men’s cologne fragrance.

Hello, Sephora used to carry a lip stain called Dark Berry - 07. It was discontinued. Do you know a similar or exact shade as that? It’s a perfect color for me and any help is greatly appreciated.

Hello! I know that lip product well as I used to use it! I replaced it with the ILIA Balmy Tint Hydrating Lip Balm in "Lady"

It's a similar pigment tone and product texture.

I hope this was helpful!!!

Amy

Sephora PRO Artist

Hi pls what primer and moisturizer can I use to achieve a flawless makeup look? I also need long lasting matte/dewy foundation. Thanks

Hi @vickypumpin ,

Thank you so much for asking for our advice! I always recommend moisturizers and primers that will complement your skin type and will address your skin needs. Also, tools are very important in achieving a flawless makeup look. A good universal moisturizer I recommend is Glow Recipe Plum Plump Refillable Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizer It's packed with hyaluronic acid and peptides for ultimate hydration and improve the texture and elasticity of the skin, which means your foundation will apply better giving you a flawless finish. A universal face primer I recommend is Fashion Fair Fabulous Face Priming Serum Peach-tinted - this also plumps the skin and will make your make up last all day and night.

I encourage you to book a Virtual Consultation appointment with the PRO Team so we can help you build a routine that is personalized to you - your skin type, skin concerns, and lifestyle. We can also assist to find your perfect foundation!

You can find it here:

https://www.sephora.com/happening/home?type=services

Hope this helps!

Best,

Shawn

Sephora PRO

Hi I would like to know my skintone color exactly..am I a medium to medium tan? And I took a undertone quiz. It says I'm a peach undertone. I have mainly green veing with small bluish purplish vein. So now I'm confused because other sites says I'm neutral. And if I am a medium warm or peach undertone.. what shade should I wear for tarte brand concealer the ceaseless. Thank you

Hello cathySengmyname!

Based on the information you provided, I'd guess you were a neutral undertone. I recommend checking out the  tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer 32N Medium Neutral or the tarte Mini Maracuja Creaseless Concealer 25N light-medium neutral 

Since I can't see you in person, it's a challenge to give you just one shade. Try each one and let us know if they worked! Also, attaching an unedited photo taken in natural lighting would also be helpful!

Hope this helped!

~Amy

Sephora PRO Artist

@_shookma

@amysuchma_proartist

testing