cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Ask a Beauty Expert

Ask a Beauty ExpertAsk a Beauty Expert

If you know your way around the Beauty Insider Community, chances are you’ve seen a few of our Sephora Pro Artists sharing their looks on the Gallery and dropping their beauty routines in some of our favorite challenge threads.  @ElizaPRO@ShawnPRO, and @ProAmy are Makeup Artists with years of industry experience with a bounty of product knowledge to share. These beauty geniuses are subject matter experts and they give life-changing advice on how to build your basket and put your haul to good use!

We've created this thread to allow you all to better connect with our Sephora Pro Artists here in the BIC! This is a place for you to ask them ANYTHING beauty-related. Don't forget to bookmark this thread by clicking the bookmark icon at the top right of this thread. It will come in handy for those moments you wish you had a beauty expert on speed dial for questions like "is it a good idea to layer these skincare products?" or "what's the best brush for my foundation routine?"

Want to ask a question? Click the 'Reply' button below!

Re: Ask a Beauty Expert

Hello, so I purchased the Lancôme teint idole foundation stick but it goes on so dry and patchy. Is it just me ? I thought this would be a quick getting ready like in five minutes deal. I tried with the Estée Lauder new primer and the setting spray but it still showed up as patchy and polka dot pores. Please help. Should I exchange it and get the liquid version ?

@Serena72 I LOVE this formula and it totally can be a quick and easy routine. I do like to suggest a really good skin routine and moisturizer.

If you notice any texture at all take a look at what you are currently using for you skin routine. Sometimes an exfoliator is missing. check out Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Universal Daily Peel Pads  and a great mositurizer with spf. Always take a few moments to massage the serums/Moisturizer into the skin. Check out Dermalogica Dynamic Skin Recovery SPF 50 Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 

With primer i suggest something that is a bit thin in texture like the Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Mini Pro Filt’r Instant Retouch Primer 0.5 oz/ 15 mL 

Then yiu can apply the stick using a mapping technique in the t-zone. You can then pat and blend with fingertips (for the most natural look) Or build flawless quick coverage with a Beautyblender Beautyblender® pro one pro beautyblender 

Then you can lightly set with a translucent powder in tzone or for a glowing look use your setting spray:)

Hey beauties,

Estee Lauder is discontinuing my favourite foundation - again -, the Double Wear Light.

In a way, this is good for me because I prefer to buy from Cruelty-Free brands, but at the time that I found the Double Wear Light there just wasn't another Cruelty-Free brand that gave me the same coverage or shade. I also love that it's a LIGHT but buildable foundation and never felt cakey.

Would love your advice on which brands I can find the same shade colour (1N2 - ECRU) and buildable coverage in a matte-ish finish, not too cakey. Cruelty-Free is a must.

Hope that's not asking for a lot. lol

Thank you 🙂 

Hi SuperV83!

Based on the information you gave us, I would recommend the MILK MAKEUP Blur Liquid Matte Foundation Light or Golden Light 🙂

It's cruelty free, lightweight in feel, buildable coverage, clean, and matte! That would be my best recommendation as an alternative for your favorite! 

Let me know how it works out for you!

~Amy

Sephora PRO Artist

hey guys  I’m new to the makeup world and would like some advice 

What would you like to start with? We also offer Virtual Consultations! The bookings are available through the Stores and services tab at the top of the website! 🙂 But feel free to ask any questions here!

~Amy

Sephora PRO Artist

I have received the wrong order. Please suggest whom to contact and how can i receive my original order?

hi! 1-877-SEPHORA will help straighten that out for you!

Call customer service 

1. I’m looking for the best ever 🙂 evening moisturizer for very dry skin. I have tried various oils but am now looking for a cream and or gel type product,  The less fragrance, the better. 

2. I’ve never been a face mask chick but during the sale I’d like to purchase one. I’m not interested in sheet masks. Again - very dry skin and the less fragrance, the better. 

Hi Kristinafh!

I'm suuuuuuuuuper dry myself, so I will share what actually FINALLY worked for me.

Night Cream recommendations for nighttime:

Sunday Riley C.E.O Vitamin C Rich Hydration Cream(I actually use this during the day too haha)

JLo Beauty That Blockbuster Cream with Hyaluronic Acid 1.7 oz/ 50 mL  (seriously, so good)

I usually apply my oils under my nighttime moisturizer and massage them in completely until i am a little pink. Using a massage tool is even better. I use the Herbivore Rose Quartz Gua Sha becasue it's extra important for my dry skin to warm up with a good massage for better penetration of the moisturizer.

A mask recommendation is Charlotte Tilbury Goddess Clay Mask 2.54 oz/ 75 mL !!! I can't live without it! I was hesitant at first to use a clay mask on my really dry ares but it doesn't harden and it is truly amazing! For elevated results: make sure your face is still damp from cleansing it, apply a sheer layer of either a serum or face oil, massage that in with the Gua Sha and then the mask right over it. Leave on for 15-20 mins. incredible!

Follow with the rest of your skincare routine!

Enjoy!

Let me know how it goes!!!

~Amy

Sephora PRO Artist

If you wanted a virtual face to face experience, we do offer Virtual Consultations, too! To book, they are at the top of our website under the Stores and Services tab! 🙂

220E3820-872D-4CFD-B164-B18CA24356A1.jpegI just bought this and it feels really thick and pasty, but I like the shade. Do you have recommendations for a more lightweight product?

4F0BEDE2-4081-464A-BC7A-498DC558B960.png Hi there! 

Check out this amazing formula! This one give really nice coverage and also provides SPF 30!

This one is easy to apply with fingers, sponge it brush and looks and feels good on the skin! I hope this is helpful for you! ❤️ 

Hi, I plan on buying YSL Nu skin tint but I can’t come personally to the store so I’ll buy it online. What would be the color match for it if I already use YSL All hours foundation in B40 and YSL touché eclat all in one glow also in B40? Thanks a million for your help 

Hi @barbarica !

Thank you so much for writing in! I know YSL very well and took a close look at your existing shade. 
Based on your specific depth and undertone, I would suggest The YSL NU 7 Light-Medium with Cool Undertones- I comparatively looked at models and foundation swatch to come to my suggestion! 
I know you will love this formula! I also highly suggest paring it with the YSL NU Glow in Balm! It’s a face priming moisturizer to perfectly prep the skin before applying tint!

I hope this helps make your purchase a little easier! 

Thank you so much. I was thinking shade 6 but I’ll listen to your advice 😉

Hi, I have dead and frizzy hair for the last 2 years since I got permanent straightening treatment done.They break a lot and look absolutely dull.is there any way to fix it without damaging it more.

Hello Taru1!

I am not sure what you ave tried so far so I will do my best to answer your question with the information you provided!

Most of the time when we receive chemical treatments in our hair, the bonds that hold our hair shaft together begin to break down. Then they become super dry and lack luster.This can include anything from straighteners, perms and hair color. Straighteners could be the most intense depending on what was used, because you are changing the structure of the hair from deep inside of the shaft.

First thing i recommend is to repair your hair with a weekly treatment like Olaplex No. 3 Hair Repair Perfector

Use once a week (in between the days you use the hydration mask below), after you shampoo, apply to damp hair. Leave on for 10 mins or more then rinse. Do this once a week for two months.

Then hydrate the living daylights out of your hair with a mask twice a week on alternating days of the week (like on Monday and again on Friday) with Fable & Mane HoliRoots™ Repairing Hair Mask 8 oz/ 237 mL start to apply the mask at the ends and work your way up to the root. If your scalp is more oily, then stop before you reach the root. If your scalp is normal/dry then apply all of the way to the root. You can do this step once a week after a month or two.

Repair then hydrate/nourish! That's the way to get the results you need. consistency is key!

When your are finished styling your hair, apply adwoa beauty Baomint™ Protect + Shine Oil Blend on the ends and work your way up the hair to the root. This will help to bring some beautiful shine back to your locks.

My last suggestion is to also get a hair trim to remove some of the damage at the very ends. It will help with the over all health of your hair and keep the damage on the ends from unraveling further up the hair shaft.

I hope this was helpful! And feel free to ask any more questions!

~Amy

Sephora PRO Artist

I work somewhere that is heavier labor but I love love makeup and need to wear it at work. My problem is that it comes off immediately when I start sweating then before I know it all my makeup is rubbed off in certain spots and i look like a hot mess! Suggestions please 😞

Hi @DOstrander86 ,

In addition to all suggestions by other Community members, I recommend trying out setting it with Fashion Fair Set It Loose Setting Powder  - this makes foundation transfer-proof.  Bonus, it protects you from blue light!

Best,

Shawn

Hello DOstrander86!

To make your make up last, make sure your skin is hydrated really well. this will help your makeup to adhere to your skin better! Also, applying a setting spray under your foundation then after your foundation should definitely help!

Spray foundations tend to transfer less. Dior Dior Airflash Spray Foundation is amazing to try out for that reason! Spray directly on the face or on a sponge or brush and apply it that way. Then set with a setting spray! Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray Jumbo Jumbo Size - 8 oz/ 236 mL 

I hope this helps!

~Amy

Sephora PRO Artist

1 Reply
testing