Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

cracking of outer corner of lips

hi dr murad What do you recommend for constant cracking of the outer corners of the lip. Your advice is appreciated.

cracking of outer corner of lips

I've had this happen once in a while and cortisone ointment in a small amount helped me.

Re: cracking of outer corner of lips

I would suspend whatever lip product you've been using and apply only vaseline or aquaphor to your lips until they are healed.

I was about to mention cheilitis actually, but someone beat me to it 🙂 Cheilitis can be due to bacteria or fungus.

Make sure you are kinda keeping up to date with the expiration day of your lipsticks. If it changes even a little bit, smell, color, texture just throw it out.

A few years ago I kept having cracked outer corner of the lips and a change of texture in the centre of the lips. I did go to the doctor and it was related to fungus. After it healed I went back on wearing my lip products and the condition returned. After I threw most of my lip stuff away (and repeated the treatment) it finally went away!

@ksanchez567Unidentified

I used to have constant cracking at the corners of my lips as well, and it turned out I was having sensitivity issues with the lip balm I was trying to fix it with (which was continually making it worse!). I was using Burt's Bees original (peppermint)...had been using it daily for years...and was mighty confused as to what was going on when I literally woke up one morning with the corners of my lips cracked so badly it hurt to breathe through my mouth. I tried all sorts of other balms, and even Abreva for cold sores, but the peppermint balm stayed in rotation because I didn't suspect it as the problem. Nothing helped until the day I finished it off and swapped to another flavor...that's when the light bulb went off. After a month of clear lips, I tried the peppermint again as a test, and sure enough, the corners of my lips were painfully cracked within a couple of days. I desperately miss mint lippies, but use them very sparingly now since I just can't handle them anymore ☹️

Since mint is the only difference between my old peppermint balm and my current Burt's Bees pomegranate, I know the mint itself is the cause for me. If you have any regular lip items, like a balm or a certain gloss you wear every day, etc, I'd recommend trying to swap up lip products and see if different ingredients make a difference...it could very well be a simple problem to clear up.

My favorite lip treatment for overall smoothness and less peeling is Clarins Lip Oil; used once a day, it's magic!

@RGbrown

That's some great advice. Who would have thought? 

@ksanchez567

To give another option, if this is still an issue (as I realize this was posted quite a while ago) you may want to see your doctor. It could be a condition known as Angular Cheilitis. 

I'm not Dr. Murad but I'm a fan of bold lipsticks but my lips do peel a little. I use a sugar scrub on them at night (I'm a fan of Lush ones because you can just lick it off) followed by LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask Intense Hydration with Vitamin C Original. In the morning I'll do the scrub again and then put on Anastasia Beverly Hills Lip Primer 0.16 oz before I put lipstick on. This seems to help me!

I hate to break it to you but Dr. Murad isn't actually a doctor that works at or for Sephora.  Howard Murad is a pharmacist and professor at UCLA college who founded the Dr. Murad brand.

But from my personal experience, I found to love using Vaseline on and around my lips.  It really helps moisturize my lips when they get dry.

@RAWRitsREDUnidentified

Dr Murad was hosting a live chat here on BIC on the date this question was originally posted. I'd assume the OP simply made a mistake by posting a new thread instead of posting their question in the chat thread. 

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Trending-Now/Live-Chat-with-Dr-Murad/m-p/3658848#M46166

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing