Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Weekly Beauty Challenge: Favorite Red Lipstick

Okay, okay, I know what you're thinking: "Candace, it is hot as the dickens outside, who in the world is thinking about lipstick?" Well, I am (I work at a beauty company, what do you want from me?) Because July 4th is rapidly approaching, and I always rock the "Red" in "Red, White & Blue" with a bold (and patriotic!) lip.

So for this week's Beauty Challenge, I want you to rep for your rouge: What's your favorite red lipstick? (Am I the only one who wears red lipstick on July 4th? I can't be the only one, right?) And because I love you and I know you mean well, if you name a brand Sephora doesn't carry, I won't hold it against you. Much.

Show & Tell in the comments below!

red lipstick 7.1.jpg

Shop red lipsticks: http://seph.me/19PhsyB 

Re: Weekly Beauty Challenge: Favorite Red Lipstick

Ooooo lala arielaaaaaaa looks so pretty 🙂

Nars Pure Matte Lipstick in Vesuvio (true red, looks good on everyone). Even if applied by itself it stays on well since it has a matte finish, but I line and then fill in with a nude lipliner to give the lipstick something to stick to (to improve the wear time).

@Meg82 Good tricks for keeping red lipstick in place (besides choosing matte finishes and using a nude lipliner, concealer/ foundation or lip primer all over first) would be of course to blot with a tissue, and then reapply. Using a lip brush may help, a lot of artists like to work from the center of the lip out to avoid unnatural looking lines. Maybe you are using too much product? You can also blot and then cover the lips with a tissue and dust a translucent powder to set, and then reapply a little.

I also recommend starting from scratch if you really need another application (and not just a touch up...say for your evening look or after lunch)...eye makeup remover tends to work well to remove long-wearing lipsticks, and you'll get a smoother application if you don't keep layering and layering.

Also not related to keeping the lipstick off your teeth, but just for a clean line overall, take a q-tip with either concealer or translucent powder and then go around the lipline (after finishing your lipstick application)...this works well to prevent bleeding.

I don't have a ton of experience wearing red, I've always felt like I wasn't bold enough or something.  But now I'm like eff that and I went to Sephora to have them teach me how to do the red thing.  I came away from that with two Too Faced products.  Their "perfect red" lip liner and their "stiletto red" lipstick.  I wear red all the time now, it's not super appropriate for my job so I just put it on when I get home.

Question about reds: I feel like they get on my teeth more than any other lipstick (though most lipsticks get on my teeth to some degree).  Do you have any tips to keep my teeth free of lipstick? (I already do the thing where you put your index finger in your mouth and pull it out)  Thanks for any advice.

The only red I have found so far that looks pretty good on me is Clinique's Intense Chubby Stick in Chunky Chili.

Thanks @Candacebt! Another Red i like is the Korres Mango Butter lipstick in Coral. It's a pretty bright red lipstick on me! Great for summer cause it's so moisturizing and light!

I don't know what my favorite is but I have SO many that Iove....

Lancome Color Design 'Red Stiletto' which sadly I think is no longer available! 

Buxom Full Bodied Lipstick in "Provacteur"

Buxom - Full Bodied Lipstick

MUFE Rouge Artist Intense "#43 Moulin Rouge"

MAKE UP FOR EVER - Rouge Artist Intense

and of course.. Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in "Cruella"

NARS - Velvet Matte Lip Pencil

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana

@Janine - omg I need a photo RIGHT NOW. (Or when you get home :)). That sounds amazing!

@arielaaaaaa - That's the same color the girl is wearing on the bottom left (kissy face)! You have excellent taste (and it looks great on you)!

Hourglass Opaque Liquid lipstick in Icon!! Beautiful Red and that stays all day!! I wear for special occasions cause it can be a bit much for me! I took this photo when i first got it!

photo.jpg

Anonymous Insider

Oh man...I have a makeup drawer dedicated JUST to red lipsticks. Hot or cold I don't think I can go more than a few days without rocking a red. 

My favorites are:

Kat Von D's Everlasting Liquid Love in Outlaw

NARS Pure Matte Lipstick in Mascate

Kat Von D's Painted Love Lipstick in Adora 

Conversation Stats
Photos9
  • red lipstick 7.1.jpg
  • photo.jpg
  • toofaced.jpg
  • th[1].jpg
  • ysl lip.jpg
  • nars heat wave.jpg