cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Weekly Beauty Challenge: Dry Lip Savers

dry lip.jpg

BT'ers, I admit it: Today's beauty challenge is ENTIRELY self-serving. We've already discussed my seasonal dry skin issues, and though I feel like I've gotten my skin under control (Algenist Advanced Anti-Aging Repairing Oil is a lifesaver), my lips are still dry and scaly and frankly, gross. So for this week's Beauty Challenge, I need to know, BT: What are your dry lip saving tips and tricks?

Show & Tell! (And HELP A SISTA OUT.)

Re: Weekly Beauty Challenge: Dry Lip Savers

I agree with @lylysa that WATER makes a huge difference! Keep a bottle of water with you all the time and drink, drink, drink.

I have lip balms and salves in every room in my house, and in my car.  I ALWAYS have it on when I'm home, and at night I slather it on right before bed. My husband thinks i'm crazy, but I never ever have chapped lips and rather love all the different tins of salve I have collected! I wear lipstick during the day at work, but when I'm home, it's balms and salves to the rescue!

Hydrating eye cream on lips

also going to agree with everyone suggesting the homemade brown sugar lip scrub!! and going to second the Smith's original rosebud slave! I never leave the house without it, and am on my 3rd tub of it! they also have a squeeze tube, but i prefer the tin!!!!!

What i usually do is just wear lip balm at night! When i wake up in the morning, my lips are soft! I also don't wear lipstick or lipgloss too much because i find that this dries out my lips no matter how moisturizing the formula is! When I wear lipstick or lipgloss, that night i scrub my lips, or when i feel that they are dry!

But it may become a routine for me especially that the winter will make it even more dry! lol

My lip scrub:
Superfine granulated sugar, manuka honey, walnut oil (I use it for salad dressings so it's around.) and a drop of vanilla extract. Massage with soft child's toothbrush. If I'm in a hurry, I'll just scrub gently with the toothbrush on wet lips. Otherwise my lips get scaly and peely from chapping.

Then this balm every night, applied heavily with a retractable lip brush. I keep the set by the bed on my night table. I have Clove Cigarette but I want a couple more now that I know it works for me. the texture is thick.

image.jpg

I should try brown sugar, great idea.

I swear by rosebud salve, I'm on my second tin and own the mint and strawberry one as well but as far as hydration is concerned, the original is the best. I put it on every night before bed and wake up with amazing super soft lips. I like to wear lipstick but cant if my lips are dry, flaky and hurting. Its a big tin that lasts awhile and its only 7 bucks.

I have a vitamin E stick it's a god-send.  My whole family actually requests them on a regular basis because they're so good.  Lip scrubs are awesome, I mix sugar and Tarte's Maracuja oil and it works great!  Lots of water of course!

Every evening before I go to bed, I put on some good old-fashioned vaseline. My lips are super soft in the morning.

Well I make my own Lip scrub, and use it a few times a week. And at night i usually put on some Argan oil on my face, I dab it on my lips as well. I've noticed it really helps! I also use the Josie Maran Infinity Cream  when they get wayy to dry and it works wonders on my lips. They are amazing when i wake up! 

1. WATER! Drink lots of it! Also, since it's winter time, hot drinks like coffee, tea, and hot chocolate can zap and dry lips out if they're too hot, so be careful.

2. Lip scrub, I'm with Beautytester on this one. Brown sugar is a touch less grainy than regular granulated sugar to me, plus it's more moist so it's easier to keep on lips. I tend to use honey or olive/sesame oil mixed along with it. Sometimes I'll just lick it off, but I use a soft, slightly damp towel to remove excess.

3. Lip balm!!!!!!!!! I like emollient lip balms that feel like they sink in but don't dissipate immediately. I avoid ones that are too thick as those don't feel like they sink in at all. I used to use the Jack Black one (original mint) but mint oil has a tendency to break me out now if I use too much regularly, so I switched to Anthony Logistic's lip balm in blood orange. Another lip balm I love is Napoleon Perdis' Auto Pilot, it's geared as a lip primer, but it's got a gel-like feel and gives lips a nice shine and looks great alone or under/over lip color. I use my Tokyo Milk Dark (La Vie En Rose) balm at night since it doesn't have SPF and my Anthony one does.

I got to **bleep** up some info lately in regards to dry lips, keep in find toothpaste formulas. Many of them contain sulfates and in the beauty world here we're all pretty keen in terms of avoiding sulfates in shampoos and cleansers since they strip natural oils and can dry hair/skin, so a toothpaste with sulfates can do the same thing. I know Sensodyne has some sulfate free formulas!

There's only 1 solution for me when I have super dry/flaky/scaly lips. Before I go to sleep:

1. lip scrub (vaseline+brown sugar or lip balm then rub with paper towel/cloth towel).

2. generous layer of Jack Black spf25

I usually wake up with nice soft plump lips. To keep them in good condition, I also apply lip balm before brushing my teeth or going to the dentist so the toothpaste/gloves pulling my lips won't dry them out. I also drink 1 cup of water before sleeping/right after waking up and use a humidifier.

Conversation Stats
Photos6
  • dry lip.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • th.jpg
  • cococare
  • rosebud
  • Mentholatum
testing