cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

We Belong to Something Beautiful.

Sephora Manifesto Text.jpg

On the morning of 6/5, every Sephora store, distribution center, and corporate office in the US will close to host inclusion workshops for our employees. These values have always been at the heart of Sephora, and we’re excited to welcome everyone when we reopen. Join us in our commitment to a more inclusive beauty community.

Re: We Belong to Something Beautiful.

@Indy701  Several companies—particularly the more established, been around forever companies—across all fields/industries have fallen into that trap. My former employer is still trying to “youth up” its brand. I remember trying to convince marketing and brand folks not to get super literal or disingenuous about it, lest they turn off the younger audience (millennials) and drive away the older audience (gen x and boomers; interesting how often I have to remind folks that we gen xers are gettin’ old now 😂). Even after a few rounds of usability/market research and interviews with clear data and read-outs, there are still some people who think it’s best to target younger generations to “stay relevant.” As if the older among us mean nothing anymore. Sheesh. 

One market research company (don’t recall which one) summed it up nicely: companies are trying too hard to make US millennials spend money a lot of them don’t have, when it’s gen x and boomers who can really make or break sales numbers. 

Anonymous Insider

I feel the same as user, speechl. The attention is never on us older people. How come we are not in ads? I believe if this demographic was studied, you would find we spend the most money.

It's well reported that the Boomer generation has far more wealth than GenX and Millennials. Seems to me the consistent marginalizing of older women in the fashion  and beauty industries are a clear case of sexism/ageism winning out over the almighty dollar.

I agree with other comments regarding terrible/no customer service if you are 40+. I am 60 yo and I would rather not step foot into an actual store because it is very frustrating to obviously look like I am seeking assistance with color suggestions/matching, etc. and am ignored. The specific stores I am referring to are both in Tucson, AZ. It is more "enjoyable" for me to just shop online, rather than be ignored. Customer service and KNOWLEDGEABLE customer service is very important to me. That is why I have found myself shopping more online with Dermstore and Nordstrom instead. I agree with other customers that have also mentioned terrible service to those of us that are 40+. And I agree with other comments that it would be very nice to see more "mature" sales associates.
Anonymous Insider

I just read my other comment, and I’m sorry that it contains errors in spelling! They were not there but were after. I hope it was clear enough for people to understand! 

Anonymous Insider

I didn’t get to read every single post, but I did see a few that are not me exactly, but closer than some others. I have had the super young person help me, but that experience was great because she spent time with me to pick out the things I was looking for, and helped me find what was best for me. She gave me tips! Overall, though, thrifts are those of us who have skin issues related to the medications we have to take or the chronic illness we have. They have effects that make finding the right foundation or other skin products of all kinds so frustrating! And the other issue is that I hope this inclusion is going to mean that you’re thinking about hoe those who need to use different ways to physically get around will be able to do so. I’m sorry that I don’t feel like I can shop in many stores even though the ADA has guidelines and laws. But I’m glad that I can purchase online, and I love the foundation and other “matches”. One other thing is that I just ordered something, and a free sample I chose was only shown as not available after my order was placed. I don’t usually do perfume samples because I have migraines in addition to my other health problems. I have selected a few over the years because I thought another person I knew might want to try it. But it is rare! I don’t do anything at all with hair products as I use something that I don’t stray from or it messes up my hair/scalp. Its the only thing that has helped me even after trying tons of things the dermatologist prescribed! So I guess I’d just like to be able to select something but not if it’s unavailable, or you don’t have to send me something else instead; something another person might really want to try! 🙂 Or maybe we could pick a backup? Just a suggestion. I hope you understand how much I want to be able to come to the store and be included—I love seeing the beautiful colors everywhere and seeing the employees wearing them! Thanks! 💜

@SephoraBIC wrote:

Sephora Manifesto Text.jpg

On the morning of 6/5, every Sephora store, distribution center, and corporate office in the US will close to host inclusion workshops for our employees. These values have always been at the heart of Sephora, and we’re excited to welcome everyone when we reopen. Join us in our commitment to a more inclusive beauty community.

RE: We Belong to Something Beautiful.

I have never worked for Sephora, but as Sephora is the company that i mainly buy my makeup from, i am so happy to hear this is happening. Makeup is for everyone!
Anonymous Insider

If you truly want to expand inclusion, what about expanding the availability of your classes you have for transwomen to *every* store/location? I have been told this isn’t available at my local Sephora. (Which is the *only* place I buy my makeup!)

I’m really happy you guys are doing this. I use to work for the company back in 2012. To see that you are taking this initiative is great. I know I practiced great customer service as best I could and never felt it was appreciated. Now it’s mandatory I hope these change. I have experienced bad customer service here and there. I hope this new change strengthens this company more.

Sephora, I really hope that you do take the comments about older customers seriously. I also have felt really disrespected in your stores, particularly my local store in Lincoln Park Chicago. From what I can tell, women over 40 are a fairly large part of your clientele, and you do not treat us very well. At all. A few weeks ago, I stood in line in Lincoln Park while two sales clerks waited on two customers in their twenties who were not even beauty insiders. The clerks took a lot of time with them and basically begged them to take samples. When I got up to the counter, I got nothing but brusque service. I asked if I was going to get samples like the others, and the clerk threw one item in my bag, a foundation that was not close to my skin color. This really burned me up because I am the one who is rouge (and has shopped at your stores since they opened in New York in the late 1990s). I cannot imagine any reason for the difference in treatment except my age. Also, your “Sephora Squad,” while diverse in many ways, was a huge disappointment. I applaud your decision to reach out to men and other people underserved by the cosmetics industry, but it seems like you are missing one group that is right under your nose — women between the ages of 40 and 80+. We spend a lot of money on cosmetics and hate shopping at department stores as much as anyone, so why do you regard our business as so unimportant?

Re: RE: We Belong to Something Beautiful.

Hi @maggiebaggie ,

I'm sorry to hear about this store experience and appreciate you for sharing this feedback with us. I will send you a private message requesting more information shortly. Thank you.

Warm regards,

Laurie 

@maggiebaggie I once walked around my Sephora for 30 minutes without anyone helping me.  Everytime since it has not been this way, but that that time, early this year when I was pretty new to Sephora, was wild.  I had so many questions about eye creams and skincare at the time, and no one looked to be my age to help. 

I figured things out now, but because my store doesn't have foil samples, I rarely shop instore- I mostly shop online for selection (and samples).  Do you know how many full-size items I've bought due to gwp or foil sample?  Quite a few.  Why don't all stores have gwp or foil samples? So weird.

@l8totheparty My local sephora has had a couple GWP in-store promos lately! I found it in the "happening at sephora" bit in the app, but you do have to mention it to get it. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it's because it's new to them, but I also have started getting foils with purchases again lately so shopping in store has been a much bigger draw for me lately

You are lucky, @Brutalitops !  I'd shop more in-store with foils and gwp.

@l8totheparty It literally just started in the last two weeks, so it may be coming to you soon! Though I know some of you gals in Canada frequently get the short end, hopefully this isn't one of those times

@Brutalitops fingers crossed!

@maggiebaggie  I’m in Chicago and turning 48 this year. The other 3 Sephoras are closer to me than the Lincoln Park store, but I occasionally go there (usually when I’m also visiting The Container Store or Crate & Barrel). I recently went there during my “omg Commodity’s shutting down, gotta buy all the perfumes” spree. That visit went great: 2 different SAs approached to offer assistance, and one of them re-checked when I was elsewhere in the store; I got no attitude from any SAs; and the SA who rang me up couldn’t have been friendlier—in fact, we had a nice chat about perfumes and she offered some samples and recommendations of other brands. 

Having said all that: I know what you mean about that store. I’ve never gotten truly bad service there, but I usually feel like I’m at an Ulta where I need to chase SAs down if I need help. The SAs there do seem more eager to approach and help younger clientele—or younger looking clientele. I wish you had a better experience there. 😞 Sounds like the kind of service I used to get at the Michigan Ave store (as recently as last summer), before they greatly stepped up their customer service game. 

A few years ago, I visited a Sephora in another state. An SA saw my grey hair and blue lipstick, and decided to steer me toward “more mature” makeup shades. Before I could start my ageism lecture—and man, I was ready to go all kinds of off on her—another SA swooped in to save the day. 😂 I haven’t had a blatant “grey hair = old lady who has no business looking at all the fun ‘young’ colors” experience in a Sephora since then. But yeah, our demographic tends to be underrepresented and very misunderstood. 

Hi @maggiebaggie !  I am a long time member of the Beauty Insider Community here and also an inaugural Sephora Squad member.  I thought you’d be happy to know that out of 24 selected Sephora Squad members, 3 of us are over 40!!!!💗💗💗

The diversity of the Squad is awesome and I am learning so much from my new “family”.  I am also excited to see representation of the over 40 demographic in the squad because I agree that we are underrepresented in the industry.  

One thing I want to see changed in the industry  is the perception that women “over a certain age” (whatever the heck that means) can’t wear certain colors of lipstick or shouldn’t wear highlighter or have to wear age-appropriate makeup.  Well, I think age-appropriate makeup is whatever a woman at any age wants to wear!

I would also love to see the catch-all phrase of “mature” skin disappear.  My skincare needs in my 40’s are different from those of my mom in her 60’s or my grandma in her 90’s.  Everyone over 35 is not the same and should not be lumped together.

I am sorry to hear you have had bad experiences in store - that is never acceptable.  I haven’t really experienced that, but the only time I really ask for help in store is when I can’t find the product I am looking for out on the shelf - I don’t really ask for product recommendations because I spend a disproportionate amount of my free time researching new products (ask my poor hubby!) so I usually know what I’m looking for.  Hopefully this initiative will change things so that you have a better experience in-store going forward!!!! 💗

@maggiebaggie  This is terrible to hear. I haven't been to the Lincoln Park store. The one on Michigan Avenue (not the Water Tower Place). The service at Michigan Avenue is really excellent. But I'm 34 and I'm a very different demographic. I would be pretty frustrated if I was you. I'm sorry you've experienced this.

Given the lack of Sephora response to this thread so far,...

Given the lack of Sephora response to this thread so far, I'm guessing they don't care. They're happy to take our money online and keep the stores hostile for 40+ customers.

RE: Given the lack of Sephora response to this thread so far,...

I am not surprised that they didn’t respond to the ageism comments because I think that Sephora has decided to go in another direction strategically. For some reason, they have given up on trying to attract or serve the 40+ group. It’s an interesting strategy to me because I have several friends in this age group who buy a lot of makeup and hate Sephora stores because of the customer service. It makes us all feel old and unvalued. I feel like this group of women would be easy pickings for Sephora because Sephora does sell the brands we love. In the end, however, Ulta and Bluemercury also sell these products without the attitude and the obvious effort to cultivate a cool, young vibe. I already qualified for Rouge in 2020, but that may be my last year. Going to my local Sephora store always brings me down, and I am not going to spend 1000+ every year at a place that makes me feel bad.
1 Reply
testing