cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

We Belong to Something Beautiful.

Sephora Manifesto Text.jpg

On the morning of 6/5, every Sephora store, distribution center, and corporate office in the US will close to host inclusion workshops for our employees. These values have always been at the heart of Sephora, and we’re excited to welcome everyone when we reopen. Join us in our commitment to a more inclusive beauty community.

Re: We Belong to Something Beautiful.

Please note, Sephora, that this does not mean pouncing on every 40+ year old customer and steering her to the "mature" products. But hiring 40+ yo SAs would be a win all around.

I couldn't agree more!! I'm 51 and recently visited a Sephora in Pensacola, Florida. I had much the same experience! What works for someone in their 20's and 30's isn't going to work for mature skin! It's just that simple! If that associate had said to me something like, "We have this great product that has awesome ratings for mature skin!" I would have felt like she really cared about what was current for me. Either hire mature women or educate the younger staff about current and relevant products for women in their 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's+!

Yes!  I am one of those who feel they must shop online bevause of my age!  There is a beauty commercial these days where an older model says: "I've been told when you reach a certain age you no  longer care about your looks.  What age is that?"   I love it, because it is true!

i am Rouge and I spend a lot of money at Sephora  but I never, ever see someone who looks like me! By the way, since it is Memorial Day, I will mention I was born BEFORE the start of WWII!

Please, address the issue about this forgotten segment of the population!

I'm glad that Sephora is doing this training and I hope they include servicing the client overall. I live in a small town & my Sephora store is in JCP. The service there is TERRIBLE. 

ALL THE TIME. 

I'm continually appalled at the lack of, or poor service at this location. They are rude, discourteous, unknowledgeable, ignoring, etc.  I have to drive 75+ miles to get to a real Sephora in order to get any service at all. 

In this age of technology and acceptance, this is inexcusable. 

I hope ageism is included. Being over 60 doesn't mean that one dies not care about their looks. Most of us want to do the best with what we have left. You will all be old some day

That also includes making sure product lines that cater to the issues of mature skin are included in your product lines-in the store, so we can touch and feel!

Exactly! I only buy online because of the way I'm treated in stores. Sephora, I understand you would rather have customers who look like models, but we older women have the money and the need (!) for your products

Yes. I feel the same way. I worked in the beauty business for 15 years and customer service is why I grew my business as a counter manager. I live in Nassau County. NY. The lack of customer service is astounding. I just turned 60. I was invisible when I was younger as well   I’d much rather shop on line. When I can’t I go to Nordstrom or Ulta. 

I feel exactly the same way! I’m 68 and I feel young. As the baby boomers age, we need more attention and you need the retention of these customers! They have  purchasing power. And we will go to whomever will commit to our needs. 

@qqqttt wrote:
I hope ageism is included. Being over 60 doesn't mean that one dies not care about their looks. Most of us want to do the best with what we have left. You will all be old some day

@SephoraBIC wrote:

Sephora Manifesto Text.jpg

On the morning of 6/5, every Sephora store, distribution center, and corporate office in the US will close to host inclusion workshops for our employees. These values have always been at the heart of Sephora, and we’re excited to welcome everyone when we reopen. Join us in our commitment to a more inclusive beauty community.

Allow all of us to stand strong against racism 

Anonymous Insider

I guess I don't get it.  Are you saying you HAVEN'T been inclusive all this time?  Just WHAT is this training about and what will be different?

This might be in response to an incident in a CA where a store manager kicked out a group of special needs people on a supervised outing.  Inclusivity doesn't just apply to race or sexuality. Differently abled people are still getting the short end of the stick when it comes to inclusion.

Does anyone have a link to the article on this incident? Couldn’t find it on google 

@kandiann Google brings up an incident, within 3 weeks ago, about a singer SZA being profiled for stealing in Cali. Maybe that's the article instead..

RE: Re: We Belong to Something Beautiful.

They said in this post that these values have always been at the heart of Sephora. Its very common for companies to do workshops as everyone can always learn and do better, its a step in the right direction. Maybe they will share what happened at the workshops after they do them @Anonymous

Re: RE: Re: We Belong to Something Beautiful.

Yes, this is thankfully becoming very common. I worked at a company where we had no particular single issue but we have had 1-2 day diversity trainings once a year for at least the last 3 years. It includes race, gender, age, background, etc. Hopefully they do it well. I listened to one presenter who was amazing. Others have been ok. Companies have to make huge commitments and investments to really make it work. 

Anonymous Insider

I did read the post.  I'm just curious as to why such a big announcement was made, and what specifically they will be focusing on. Just wondering what brought on the need to do this, and to make such a big deal out of it. It sounds like they've been doing the right thing all along, so what has changed (or NEEDS changing)?

Sephora can do better and they know it hence the workshop- As a medium complected black woman, think Taraji Henson aka Cookie - many of the shades of the free samples offered with each online order do not fit my needs or needs of millions of Asian, Black, Middle Eastern and other people darker than me. nor do the kits, for example the Sephora Sunkissed glow kit has no options for me and its a Sephora curated kit of different brands. As a Sephora kit it should be  offered in ranges for different skin tones. The same goes for the free samples offered with online orders of products like concealer, setting powder, foundation,highlighters, bronzers, etc. When I see those on offer automatically know to keep looking cause that's not for me. There's always room to do better when it comes to diversity.

RE: We Belong to Something Beautiful.

Love this @SephoraBIC! ♥️

RE: We Belong to Something Beautiful.

This is why I’ve always preferred Sephora! Bravo 👏🏼 🙌🏼💕💕

👏🏽 well done 💗
7 Replies
testing