cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Spam on BIC

Hi BIC,

As you have likely noticed, the Community has been inundated with an exceedingly high volume of spam posts. We are aware of this issue and working hard behind the scenes to fix this. We know these posts can truly impact your experience here, and we appreciate everyone who has sent our team messages on this issue. Our goal is to maintain this safe space where you can all share and read about all things beauty – we’re so sorry this spam is getting in the way of that!

Please know that this is a huge priority for us and we are working to prevent this from happening in the future. We will share updates as soon as we have them. In the meantime, please know that our team and tech partners are on it!

-TeamBIC

RE: Spam on BIC

Hello

Re: Spam on BIC

Hi BIC,

Many of you have been sharing concern over relentless spam which has been unlike anything we've seen in the history of the BIC. We’ve been working with our tech partners to find the right solution and are excited to share that we have implemented a fix that has already drastically reduced the number of spam posts.

Please continue to “mark as spam” and feel free to flag issues here too!

Thank you all for your patience as we worked on this issue and your help with flagging spam accounts. We hope this fix will serve as a a long-term solution so we can focus on our empties, hauls, and favorite off-topic threads.

Have a great day!

Team BIC

@TeamBIC The spam is really ramping up again. Lots of new spam posts this morning that I didn't see last night.

Oh no! Spam during the day. 😢 I'm not missing a "Mark as Spam" button where I could be helping, right?

Hello BIC! I wish I were greeting you with better news but you all deserve an update on the spam issue that has been overwhelming the boards.

While the mods have been working to remove spam as quickly as possible, it's truly gotten out of hand. We escalated this issue once the spam increased weeks ago and have been pressing for a final answer on when the spam will be contained. Please know that we have a large number of people across many teams looking at this issue. While it isn't fixed yet, our tech partners are troubleshooting different fixes and working to get to the root cause of this.

You may have noticed that the ability to "mark as spam" went away. In an effort to fix the spam issue, an old setting was restored that took this option away. Luckily we were able to switch this back to work as intended so you have the ability to flag spam again. This functionality is a necessity right now and we so appreciate everyone who has been flagging spam. Please note, if you are not seeing the "mark as spam" option, that may just mean that someone else has already marked the post as spam.

Please keep the tags coming and we will work to update you more frequently with solid updates. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. 

@KatieBT  Thank you for everything! 

Thanks for the update and for all the hard work you guys are doing behind the scenes. I know it can't be easy to keep up with all the spam when it's happening it such great quantities! A couple weeks ago when there was a flood of spam I spent about 20 mins marking posts as spam just to see 2 news ones pop up for every 1 I marked! It's insane. I don't even know what these spammers are gaining from posting in foreign languages that (very likely) none of us can read anyway lol.

Hope the spam problem gets sorted out soon!

Thank you very much for the update @KatieBT 😊.

Okay but it’s still a problem literally right now. It’s so frustrating and I don’t understand why it keeps happening. The solution is simple... new accounts and first posts need to be regulated. It needs to be tougher to make accounts and make your first post. Is that something that’s even being explored? These spammers are exploiting how easy it is to make accounts. We know trolls have made multiple accounts but they didn’t have sophisticated bots to automate it. I understand the concern about it not feeling as welcoming if it’s a bit more difficult to join and post, but other sites and forums use that exact format to keep things under control and no one feels excluded. Honestly.... still after 2 or 3 years or however long it’s been since the switch to BIC, I feel less welcome as an original user because of these chronic issues. I know I’m not the only one.   

Thank you @KatieBT  for the update ❤️

Thank you for the update @KatieBT and your and everyone’s hard work in working to resolve the issue 

Thanks for trying to keep us up on what's going on @KatieBT 

I haven’t been on here much the past few months, but I noticed how bad the spam was the other day. I could barely keep up trying to mark them, as new ones kept popping up. I agree with the previous idea of making new member’s posts be approved by mods before they are posted publicly. 

@Beadshopgirl It's great seeing you around again!

Tagging some folks who have posted recently about the spam @elise222 @RGbrown @Tarabotti @alexasteph @Kim888 @niki172 @itscarin @jen143xo @ShortErica 

Thanks for the tag and update @KatieBT!

@TeamBIC @SephoraBIC @KatieBT 

What happened to the "mark as spam" button? 😯

In my 'revenge fantasies' Sephora hires a hacker who sends the spam straight back to that person, flooding their in box. 

What joy can you get from doing this?

Can any of the mods say if something is in the works for spam? It's been out of control this week, and makes it not very much fun to visit the community when 90% of the posts are foreign language spam.

testing