cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Spam on BIC

Hi BIC,

As you have likely noticed, the Community has been inundated with an exceedingly high volume of spam posts. We are aware of this issue and working hard behind the scenes to fix this. We know these posts can truly impact your experience here, and we appreciate everyone who has sent our team messages on this issue. Our goal is to maintain this safe space where you can all share and read about all things beauty – we’re so sorry this spam is getting in the way of that!

Please know that this is a huge priority for us and we are working to prevent this from happening in the future. We will share updates as soon as we have them. In the meantime, please know that our team and tech partners are on it!

-TeamBIC

Re: Spam on BIC

@WinglessOne  I wonder if this is just testing to how much can they infilterate and maybe have other plans for later if Sephora IT doesn't catch-up soon

@itscarin  I definitely think these forums influence buying. I would have no clue what Pat McGrath or Natasha Denona are and definitely wouldn't have bought the mini trios of lippies and glosses and not the eyeshadow pallet in million years if it weren't for this forum. 😄 😄

I went from spending something like in hundreds to thousand in just 1.5-2 years since starting lurking and then participating here 

@naturalooks15  I also wondered if BIC was being used as a testing ground. I can’t think of any other reason (aside from general jerkiness) why someone would flood us with so much spam, regardless of language or obvious sales links. 

@itscarin  If someone really wanted to affect Sephora’s sales, there are possibly more effective (and definitely much worse) ways to target the site outside BIC, and I’m very glad they’re not doing that crap—well, not that I can tell as a front end consumer. But I can see how BIC disruption affects some people’s purchasing decisions, especially since our posts show up in public search engine results. Still, clogging BIC won’t stop some of us from shopping sephora.com or visiting a store. 🙂 We just won’t have the more reliable BIC reviews vs. Influenster reviews helping us make decisions. 

@WinglessOne I agree the volume is there and is super annoying.  Oh to be a fly on the wall of whatever bot center is running this.  I'm going to go ahead and imagine it's all sorts of juicy international mayhem and intrigue!  

I'm with you that the language the spam is happening in is irrelevant.  It's annoying regardless of what language it's in.  It seems to be unwieldy enough that the IT team can't get their hands around it.  I just hope they figure something out soon.  

Back to the wild speculation -- I wonder how much activity on this board influences buying.  If there's a positive correlation between board activity and internet sales, I wonder who would be invested in hurting Sephora's bottom line.  

I agree there needs to be a different approach to filtering, but *entire* character sets seems excessive. A huge swath of the beauty industry is international, and I'd like to be able to post about new products for Suqqu or search terms for Korean skincare without getting banned or choking on a spam filter.

I agree with @fieldsofclover. No matter how small the likelihood that someone might type using non-roman characters, it feels exclusionary. No one wants to find out that Sephora's deemed their entire written language a "bad word". I'm sure there are others ways to prevent the board from being spammed which would also catch the spam that does use roman characters.

@fieldsofcloverDo you use korean characters to search them? 

Thanks for trying to fix problem @TeamBIC  it was better for a bit but is back to full

spam for me at 9:45 pm Ontario Canada. 

RE: Spam on BIC

Thank you @TeamBIC

Y’all are gunna have to shut down new acounts. At least temporarily. 

I absolutely agree! 

I know you know about yesterday, so I gave up, but just got on here at 7:50 pm Central Time and it is everywhere. 

Are our accounts compromised?

This is an inconvenience to have spam in the forums but I would rather have more security for our account information and payment infor etc.  Hope IT team is focusing on that too. 

The forums were unusable yesterday.  I couldn't even report spam!

Yesterday was a frustrating day but I knew BIC would be vindicated! Thanks @TeamBIC ! 😘

Irony?Screenshot_20190219-181801.png

Fasten your seat belts, folks, the nightly ride seems to be firing up. It'll be interesting to see how far they get tonight...

You guys are just the best! Thank you @TeamBIC!! 💖💗giphy-1.gif

@TeamBIC Thanks for addressing this!  I realize that it's a difficult situation to deal with but I think we ALL would love to see all of the spam posts disappear :).

@TeamBIC  Thanks so much for dealing with this nuisance!! I know it's a headache and I'm glad to see things are getting back to normal!! Great job!!👍

Phewwwwww 

@TeamBICgiphy-1.gif

Later Bots! 

@TeamBIC , thank you for the update and for your efforts, and those of the Sephora tech team, to resolve this issue. Is the spam issue indicative of any further breaches in Sephora's technology systems?

testing