Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Monthly Misses: July 2020

This is an area for us to discuss products that missed the mark for us this month.  It could be a foil or a full sized item.  What did you try that didn't work?  And why?

greeneyedgirl107_0-1595462070779.jpeg

Re: Monthly Misses: July 2020

@ather  I use Routine Cream deodorants. I've been using the jarred ones, but they recently started selling them in stick form. They still sell mini plastic jars individually or in sets, so you can try out a few different scents before committing to a full size: 

Spoiler

Inside the jar.Inside the jar.
Full size glass jar vs. mini plastic jar.Full size glass jar vs. mini plastic jar.
Another FS vs. mini photo.Another FS vs. mini photo.

Some Routine scents don't work well on me. The ones that do are Cat Lady, Sexy Sadie, Superstar (warning: that one's quite a strong incense-type scent), The Curator, Blackberry Betty, and Like a Boss. A Girl Named Sue works on my low activity days. Some of those scents come in in both baking soda and no-baking-soda formulas, and either one works great on me. And I still haven't tried all their scents... I've never tried Moon Sisters. (Note to self!) 

@WinglessOne  Thank you!! I’ll definitely check it out. I love their scent names. So fun!!!

The only miss I have had this month is SEPHORA COLLECTION Nourishing Moisturizer - Hydrate & Repair . It came in a set so it was just a deluxe size. The texture was nice and it was hydrating, but it straight up smells like plastic. I just can’t get over the scent and it doesn’t fade fast. @itsfi I think you wanted me to tag you about this one.

The plastic scent would be a no go for me too @faeriegirl 

@faeriegirl  Darn. I was hoping to try this one next. 

@faeriegirl, I’m sorry this didn’t work out for you. I have used it and thought it was fine. I wasn’t keen on the scent but mine smelled more perfime-y. I didn’t get a plastic scent. I had heard/read it was a dupe for DE Lala, but I didn’t find that to be the case for me. Sorry about the smell - maybe repurposing it as a body cream will be better - that way the smell is not so close to your nose. 

@itsfi  Would you re purchase based on scent?

@ather, I would use the moisturizer again if I had it (after going through my handful of moisturizers 😆). I would be less hesitant about repurchasing if the scent wasn’t there since there are other moisturizers that are either unscented or have a scent that I like better. It’s not that the scent is bad; just not perfectly suited for my preferences. The moisturizer is something that would work for my skin for most of the year too - maybe not so much during the warmest part of the summer, and also mixed with an oil in colder parts of fall/winter, so that’s a nice plus. 

I normally don't try a lot of new beauty products because I have a pretty solid routine.  However, I think I was feeling restless this month b/c I tried several new products.

Verb Ghost Weightless Hair Oil 2 oz/ 60 mL was a product I finally tried but didn't care for.  I found the texture to be too thick as I have a heavy hand when applying hair products.  I didn't notice anything special about it, and prefer the other hair oils in my collection.

Drunk Elephant A-Passioni™ Retinol Cream 0.33 oz/ 10 mL was so strong!  I'm a seasoned retinol/retinoid user, and it took me at least a week to recover from it.  The Drunk Elephant B-Hydra™ Intensive Hydration Serum with Hyaluronic Acid 1.69 oz/ 50 mL didn't help.  I much prefer my First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair® Hydrating Serum - and it has more good-for-your skin ingredients in it, too.

Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta Glow Pad for Body had too many disadvantages.  It delivered a good amount of color for a tanning towel.  But, the towel wasn't soaked enough so it didn't go very far.  I didn't care for the scent or the feel of the product on my skin.  And the worst was how patchy my tan came out.  If anyone is interested in this, it might be best to apply it one day - then be prepared to go in the next day and correct any mistakes with another towel.

Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta Glow Pad for Face was just OK.  I didn't experience any ill-effects on my face.  However, the color pay-off was lacking.  I will be sticking with my St. Tropez Self Tan Dark Bronzing Mousse 6.7 oz/ 198 mL .

Finally, I gave Derma e Vitamin C Concentrated Serum a try.  The texture was all right, and it was easy to apply.  I think it may have given my skin some radiance, but it's hard to tell since it's been so hot and my skin is getting greasy anyway during the day.  What turned me off was the fragrance.  It was too strong, due to the inclusion of fragrance oils.  I also didn't appreciate the lack of transparency with this product.  The concentration of Vitamin C wasn't listed on the bottle, and the company refused to release it.  I also asked them what fragrance oils were included, and was simply told "citrus."  I viewed this as a potential skin irritant, so have given up on the product.

@greeneyedgirl107 I found the DE retinol cream very stron...

@Anonymous7 I found the DE retinol cream very strong also. Now I mix it with a moisturizer at night and my skin is much happier!

I know this is a miss list @greeneyedgirl107 but I've got the FAB serum in my loves list now 😊 it sounds awesome and the ingredients are excellent

@lmaster Let me know if you wind up trying it.  I think it's an under-rated antioxidant product.  Plus, I had previously posted more than once that I didn't find it to be all that hydrating.  Well, I stopped using if for a month and a half as I had some weird skin issues in late Feb/March, and I definitely noticed that my skin had declined.  NOW, I do think it's hydrating.  

@greeneyedgirl107 unfortunately Drunk Elephant E-Rase™ Milki Micellar Water 8 oz/ 240 mL is not working for me at all, and I'm sad!! It burns my face everytime I use it 😩 🤣

@lmaster  Oh nooooo!!!! I just got it in the mail this week I haven’t tried it yet but I’ve got super sensitive skin 😭

@ather I used it strictly for my mascara today, and that was fine,, but unfortunately this will not be a repurchase, I'll stick to my bioderma. I sure hope you love it! Fingers crossed 🤞

@lmaster  Ok this is so strange. I used Drunk Elephant E-Rase™ Milki Micellar Water 8 oz/ 240 mL  then I took a shower got out and was getting dressed when I noticed my fingers on my right hand felt weird. 

7C721242-B0AB-4797-BC7A-572A82B18456.jpeg

Ohh my gosh @ather is your skin peeling off your fingers?

@lmaster  Yes...... 😬

@ather I haven't really looked into the ingredients much just making sure there was no alcohol in it but I knew when my face burn something in this product does not sit well with the acids that I use. and I've had a pretty straight routine for quite a while so I knew it was this product that was doing the damage, and it just feels like what a peeling mask would feel like, I'm so confused

@lmaster  I’m so confused!!!! 

17 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos7
  • Another FS vs. mini photo.
  • Full size glass jar vs. mini plastic jar.
  • Inside the jar.
  • greeneyedgirl107_0-1595462070779.jpeg
  • 88C77C5B-CC99-488C-BBEB-894D9002FA8F.jpeg
  • 7C721242-B0AB-4797-BC7A-572A82B18456.jpeg
  • 20200728_124852.jpg
testing