Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Monthly Misses: August 2020

This is a thread for us to discuss products that unfortunately didn't work out so well for us this August.  It could be a sample that you had the benefit of trying, but wouldn't ever purchase.  Or, it could be a full size product that you regret.  And of course it could be anything in between - like an item that you used to love but just stopped being effective  The key is to have fun with this, so that we feel less frustrated when something doesn't meet our expectations.

best in beauty 2016 v2.jpg

Re: Monthly Misses: August 2020

I can't believe I'm saying this, as it's been my Holy Grail everyday mascara for a while now, but I would swear that Ilia changed their formula at the same time as they repackaged it. This one seems gloppier on the brush and harder to apply without getting it all over the base of my eyelids. *Really* hoping I just have an off tube and all will return to normal with the next one!

@tastelikewater New packaging always scares me, b/c that usually means a formula change as well.  😞  Even if the ingredient list is the same, I still wonder if the proportions are different.  We had some chat about this on BIC, and apparently where the ingredients are sourced from can make a difference in the product as well.  

I hope for your sake that you just got an off tube, though!

A little late to post but I tried one of those scented wash cards from LUSH made with dried fruit. You can smell the fruit which sort of interferes with the scent. Also, it didn't really dissolve like soap does and the lather is thin so I felt like I was washing myself with a fruit roll up. Maybe this would be good for camping or as a convenient disposable travel soap? You could rip off a piece and discard after one use. Otherwise, I'm not a fan.

56cd3d3a9f7aa568ada4449940f21f70

@pocketvenus  I'm glad to see this because I've been curious about those Lush wash cards, but haven't convinced myself to try one yet—and your fruit rollup description is exactly why. Sorry it didn't work well for you. Sounds like it wouldn't for me, either. 

@WinglessOne It's OK, I think it was like, $4 😛 Oh, I should also add, the scent doesn't last on your skin!

A few misses:

20200830_140710.jpg

Spoiler
Hug Me - my first foray into "clean" deodorant and I hate it. Discolored my underarms. Messed with my natural chemistry. Doesn't last the entire day or through a vigorous sweat. Not for me.

Josie Maran - in fairness, this is more on me, but they really need to label this as a body butter. I tried it on my face for a few nights and ooof, it was not pleasant. I also don't love the scent (surprising for an unscented product), but it would be less of an issue.

20200831_102735.jpg

Spoiler
Goat Milk - this is so soupy and thin and just not luxurious or hydrating the way I had hoped for.

Buffet with Copper Peptides - buy the original, it is so good. This has a thinner texture, so it absorbs to fast and you end up using more product.

@haleyvvvv I got that kate somerville in FFF over the summer and agree - it's not good! Soup is like the perfect reference it's way too liquid-y to be usable 

@Kim888 I got 2 in different FFF boxes and that was such a mistake 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀. 

@haleyvvvv  I didn’t like the KS goat milk moisturizer at all and the Blume deodorant caused so much irritation.

Glad to know I'm not the only one on these, @faeriegirl !! I'm surprised at them both honestly. Bah, I'm sorry the Blume caused irritation for you.

I'm not too familiar with The Ordinary products, what do you mean by buy the original @haleyvvvv? Are two versions available?

@ShortErica There's the original The Ordinary "Buffet" 1 oz/ 30 mL vs. the copper peptide version, The Ordinary Multi-Peptide + Copper Peptides 1% Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL . 

@haleyvvvv Aw, bummer about the copper peptides version. 

What @WinglessOne said, @ShortErica, there's two versions of this peptide serum. The OG, "Buffet" IMO is much better than the one with copper peptides. The original one is a bit thicker and nicely coats the face, and i can really feel the HA. With the copper peptides, the formula is just too thin and I'm noticing any effects of the copper. Its double the price of the original and for my skin, not worth it.

@haleyvvvv I've read the the original Buffet can feel tacky to some, so I'm intrigued by the more liquid-y version with the Copper Peptides.  (Of course, I don't like the price!)  Have you experienced any tackiness with the original?

Hmm, I use it at night, @greeneyedgirl107 , so I am not too worried about tackieness. I do notice some, but that's not a deal breaker for me, so I've never thought to measure how long my skin was tacky for. I don't remember any with the Copper Peptides one. It is double the price, but the bottles do last a long time (at least a few months, 3-4 or so).

@haleyvvvv Thanks for the info! That helps 🙂 Sorry I couldn't heart this post - BIC is giving me issues today.

No worries, @greeneyedgirl107 !! It seems like it was glitchy most of the day today. But now its back!!

@haleyvvvv @WinglessOne thanks for the information about the difference!

Sad to say this, but a big miss this month. PAT McGRATH LABS Lip Fetish Divinyl Lip Shine Temptress 

I just didnt love it. It feels very meh. I was excited for this but just not what I was hoping for. I'm telling myself I'll return it but I don't really want to go in a mall right now...

@sprocketta Sorry the lippie didn't work out for you ☹️

Conversation Stats
Photos6
  • best in beauty 2016 v2.jpg
  • 20200815_220057.jpg
  • 20200815_220048.jpg
  • 20200830_140710.jpg
  • 20200831_102735.jpg
  • 56cd3d3a9f7aa568ada4449940f21f70
testing