Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

If Sephora offered a complimentary in-store Makeover to celebrate your Birthday, would you go?

Re: If Sephora offered a complimentary in-store Makeover to celebrate your Birthday, would you go?

No... and here's why that answer is so common:

The MUAs at Sephora rarely make a great enough difference than if we followed a step by step Youtube tutorial at home. Makeovers are not the reason we shop at Sephora. We shop at Sephora because we love beauty and want to buy products that look like things we want to wear/use. We either go in with specific purchases in mind (moisturizer, eyeliner, concealer, a new lipgloss etc.) or we are simply browsing the new products we have yet to try. 

What we want from Sephora MUAs:

Consultations and advice. We don't need someone to make us look pretty. We want someone to point us in the direction of specific products that we would like and may not have found without the expertise of a professional.

So perhaps try giving us a Personal Shopper and Consultant to help select samples and teach us tricks we won't find elsewhere, rather than a simple makeover.

Re: If Sephora offered a complimentary in-store Makeover to celebrate your Birthday, would you go?

No. I rather spend my bday out and about. And if you are rouge you already have this perk. 

no

The short answer .... No. 

Anonymous Insider

Yes I would but not if it replaced my birthday samples. I f I get a complimentary face makeover I would certainly buy something but if all they used was hundred dollar products I would ask for the sephora brand.

No because most of the people don't know what they are doing.  10 years ago you guys actually hired and/or subbed real make up artists to come in and do make up.  Now it is a bunch of 20-something hipsters that try to put 3y05 foundation on 2r03 skin. No offense.

Honestly, I had my makeup done in the store and the makeup artist did not seem to know what she was doing.  I have yet to see anyone in Sephora who has worn makeup that wow-ed me.  Unless they started hiring more talented makeup artists that could do a better job than I could at home, I would not get a makeover in the store.  I would rather have a better free birthday gift than the makeover.

Anonymous Insider

yes but not if it replaced the birthday gift samples

Right, this is what I was thinking, too.  

What I would like to see if to be able to book makeovers with some of the more skilled/sophisticated SAs.  Since I don't know the folks in my store by name and haven't yet found a "favorite", it's luck of the draw for me.

I wish I could simply, as a Rouge -- or really anyone, ask for a more skilled, experienced, or senior MUA when getting a makeover.

At my store they are pretty grudging and curt about even GETTING an appointment, let alone additional requests or questions like this.

That's really too bad.  Natick (and Nashua, NH) are great stores around here and so helpful.  Check on-line to see if your store has on-line bookings and Personal Beauty Consultants; do be one they have special training.  When I booked mine I stopped in the store (I must admit, they all recognize me) and were really helpful about setting up an appointment even though they didn't have her schedule in the system yet.  And when my mom and I went we booked back to back appointments and they were able to do both of us at the same time.  Both MUAs were really good (and at the register someone said I was lucky because Mario (I think I have the name right) was their best makeup artist.)

I guess I'm just lucky about my store.  In Natick they went in back to find something that wasn't on the floor yet.  And during VIBTOPIA the manager in Nashua rushed to the back and got something while I was cashing out hoping to catch me because she knew I was going to go elsewhere to pick up had just arrived.

I think the original topic is much older than the Rouge program. 🙂

I'd have to be really bored.. and would have to make sure I had plenty of time to remove it and do it over if I planned on going out later, because that's the type of makeup they do. Also, the lighting in Sephora is horrible so no one knows what they're seeing or talking about. It's annoying.

Wow, sounds like you have a really lousy store then.  I don't think it's fair to generalize, though.  I've had my makeup done at more than one store and by more than one person at each place.  Sometimes I just let them pick things to use and sometimes (like last week) there are specific things that I want to try.  I've always been pleased with the results and I've had my makeup done right before going out to dinner.

My last appointment (a Person Beauty Consultation) with Felicia in Natick, MA, was great.  She used the things that I wanted to try and I got specific answers to questions I had.  I'd definitely recommend it to anyone in the area.

I've had my makeup done at more than one too.. not generalizing, I'm sure there are associates at some stores who are great at makeup. Just not the ones I've encountered. Colorado isn't really the type of place for fashion or makeup though, so I wouldn't really expect much more from this state.

It looks like she's working on Saturday because there are Personal Beauty Consultation appointments available from noon to 3:15.  But if anyone books one, she's the one who would handle it, so she might not be generally around.  But as I said, I've been very happy with the help that I've had from people there.

I would!  I've been trying for months to get my eyes (only) done & they keep refusing me even though I state up front that I'm willing to buy the products used.

That's weird.. I wonder why would they refuse??

No, I have never used my free makeover VIB coupon. Whenever I've had a part of my makeup done in stores it doesn't come out that great and the sales associates seem to not be knowing about what they are doing. Although I don't know if for makeovers you only let makeup artists do it, which would be nicer.

Yes, if we had a few weeks to redeem it. I enjoy the beauty services and my local favorite is skilled and its fun to work with her. Not many local women get looks done and they get tired of practicing on each other. 😉 I'm skilled enough at doing my own makeup but I like to try new things and it's relaxing and fun to get my makeup done. 

I would not. I have had a few of the 'make overs' done in store and would not go out of my way to get another. I think it is a nice idea for some people- especially younger people who are unsure of how to apply make up. But as someone who buys a lot and therefore uses a lot of make up, having someone who is unfamiliar with my preferences/skin type apply is of no use to me.

Anonymous Insider

No. I don't like the idea of getting makeup testers all over my face. Plus the ladies at the Sephora in my mall often look like they have no clue how to do their own makeup.

testing