Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

How to keep makeup on nose with oily skin and glasses?

Hey gals! So im having a huge problem. I recently got back into makeup after not wearing it for a long time due to a depressive slump (im feeling much better now!), but im having a problem - I have oily skin, especially on my t-zone and nose, and I wear glasses (plastic frames), and my makeup will not stay on my nose at all. Even after a 20-30 minute period of time, i start to get those two patches on the side, its so frustrating!

I use the fenty foundation in shade 150 and KVD Lock It setting powder + concealer creme in L5. I've tried several primers so far, some better than others, but nothing is keeping my makeup on my nose 😞 So far ive tried the MUFE step 1 primer in both mattifying and smoothing, YSL Touche Eclat Blur primer, Hourglass Veil Primer, fenty primer, and several eyeshadow primers, nothing works. Ive tried doing steps backwards (putting powder on before the foundation, after, blotting, etc.) and nothing is helping.

I could really use some tips as I would like my makeup to look awesome for a concert in Vegas this November (I got VIP meet & greet and I get a photo taken with the musician (we're seeing my favorite band, Ghost), so i wanna make sure I dont look a hot mess in it!)

Re: How to keep makeup on nose with oily skin and glasses?

I have oily skin and I went to the Sephora store and while chatting with one of the girls there I mentioned that I can't use cream in the morning because it just makes my makeup drip off and she suggested mattefying cream. It is amazing. Before even putting primer on, my face already feels matte. Maybe this will help? It's called ORIGINS - Original Skin™ Matte Moisturizer with Willowherb

@AlanaLecter I had to laugh because I’ve tried “reverse powdering” too and, wow, that did not work out for me at all 😉

I occasionally wear glasses and experience the same thing. The solution I have found is a combination of baking, as @emilyjean28 suggested, and setting spray. 

Here are the steps I follow to address my nose specifically:

- apply my best oil-control primer all over my face and let it dry for 5 full minutes (you probably already know what works best for you)

- apply my best matte foundation (I find Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Liquid Foundation 460 works well for this)

- apply my setting powder to the key areas, including my nose (I prefer Givenchy Prisme Libre Loose Setting and Finishing Powder 01 Original Mousseline Pastel but Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder Translucent or similar is good too) and wait a few minutes for it to set

- carefully apply powder nose contouring if desired without disrupting the bake (no creams)

- apply 4-5 sprays of Urban Decay All Nighter Waterproof Makeup Setting Spray Standard Size - 4 oz/ 118 mL and let it dry for 5 minutes

- carefully apply a powder highlight where desired but avoid the place(s) where your glasses will be making contact

-  apply a couple more sprays of setting spray and let it dry completely 

I suggest practicing at least once because it took 2-3 times for me to get a flawless look, instead of cake face. That’s also how I learned the importance of not applying more than 4-5 sprays of setting spray at a time. More causes my skin to look textured and the finish to break due to the excess moisture. 

For eyes, avoid gel or creamy eyeshadows and creamy pencils if they have a tendency to slip off your lid or slide off your lower lash line. (The one exception to this is ColourPop’s Super Shock eyeshadows. They stay put all day!) I would also avoid cream blush because that, too, can disrupt your bake. (ColourPop’s Super Shock blush is another exception.)

Oh, and I don’t recommend using a cream concealer anywhere your glasses will be touching. I noticed that concealer was causing cracks to appear prematurely in my makeup around where my nose pads were making contact. 

I have combination skin so yours may need more or less product in the steps I’ve laid out above. Again, testing is key 🙂

FYI, these are recommendations for an intense concert evening. I wouldn’t recommend going this dry for everyday wear (office or school) because the layers will be more noticeable in those close-up, full-light interactions. However, you may have the boss makeup skills to pull off a flawless skin look even with these dry products 🙂

I wish you the best of luck and I’m glad that you’re feeling better 💞

Great suggestions!  Thank you.

Thank you for the tips! Ill diffidently have to try this out because im at a last resort here, lol. I tried using setting spray in between steps once but it didnt work out well, so ill have to give it another go and hope it works!

Have you tried baking with the setting powder? That’s helped my oily skin a ton! I don’t understand why it helps so much, but my hours of YouTube watching is paying off. Lol

What does baking do and what is it?

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 16 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing