Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Fragrance Inspirations: What makes you want to try a new fragrance?

Re: Fragrance Inspirations: What makes you want to try a new fragrance?

When I get a good whiff of someone's fragrance/perfume, most of the time, they're just random strangers that I pass by when I'm out and about. It's a bit awkward, but I do chase them down and ask what scent they're wearing. Then I hunt for a sample if I can before buying it.

Samples.  If I get them, I try them.  Also pretty bottles and an intriguing description or concept.  Fragrance really is a marketing driven product…so much competition and unlike with makeup, you don't just fall in love with the colors.

A really elegant princessy bottle will get me everytime!  

Samples are my number one downfall when it comes t buying.  If the bottle is beautiful on top if nice smelling it will be mine! 

I like fragrances that are slightly masculine (or what one could consider masculine undertones).

I'm drawn to sweet and vanilla scents and wear those often. I've also been hunting for a fragrance that smells like Yankee Candle's Pink Sands candle. Love that scent and want to find a wearable version of it. Haven't had much luck so far.

I find with different stages in my life I look for different scents to match  mood or personality .

ex. Junior high I wore a lot of bath and body stuff because I got it as gifts from family friends

ex. High school  I wore A lot of Victoria secret lotion and body sprays because it was affordable 

ex. College I wore A lot of fruity scents ex Be delicious, escada, juicy couture

Now I'm into more sophisticated scents ex. Flower bomb,  florabotanica, lightblue

I want to try a new fragrance when it reminds me of something I like and has good memories for me.  For example, I went to Florida this past April and when I saw Beach Walk, I knew I had to have it!  I also love Clean Rain because it does remind me of storms, so that will be my next scent purchase once I finish my rollerballs. 🙂

I will try a new fragrance if there's a sample with an info. card sent to me. This allows me to try it on with my go-to lotion to see how it reacts with my chemistry. This should be a VIB and Rouge free perk since we spend so much in Sephora. We are also active members on BT and probably have blogs to promote the perfume brand. 

What makes me want to try a new fragrance?

I love variety since the fragrance I choose depends on my mood.

I wish Sephora had those little fragrance plastic sample containers as Nordstrom carries.

No matter how lovely something smells in the bottle, it has the tendency to change on me sometimes & the scent is not for me.

Anonymous Insider

I find that wearing perfume -- or body mist, scented lotions, and the like -- is like role playing. Somedays I feel like being a flirtatious, young, and fresh girl, so I give myself a little spritz of Justin Bieber's Someday perfume. Or, maybe I feel seductive and modern and choose to mist myself with Victoria's Secret's Gorgeous perfume.  The sentiment that with different scents I nearly become a different being draws me to wanting to try new fragrances.

I totally agree with brookithewooki. I choose the perfume I'm going to wear  based on the kind of persona I want to have that day. It sounds a bit silly, but I think many of us do that. Like whenever I feel bold and edgy I always wear some Kat Von D. Maybe it's just a mood thing, or wanting to highlight certain aspects of our personality with certain fragrances.

Also, I am always eager to try a new fragrance if I know it has jasmine in it. One type is native to Pakistan -- where my family is from -- and my parents have kept jasmines in our front yard for as long as I can remember, so I guess I have a bit of a sentimental attachment to that scent. 🙂

Honestly, the appearance of the bottle is what makes me want to try a perfume lol.  I love beautifully designed bottles that I can display on my dresser and have been known to not purchase a nice-smelling perfume because the bottle was ugly--silly as it sounds.  I will also want to try any fragrance with oriental notes because I am drawn to sweet (but not overly), rich scents.  

What me wants to change or try a new fragrance is the season. I have come across MANY that I would love to have for summer! I have the fever for a change 🙂

Magazine perfumed pages really inspire me to lift my bottom from the couch and go try new perfumes 🙂

the packaging

I love Jasmine and floral scents so if I hear something has jasmine in it, I will check it out.

The strip samples I find in the magazines get me every time!

Oh, and yes- the fragrance samples from Sephora!

Anonymous Insider

When I can find a description of the scent.  I have allergies and I get migraines so I can't really sample any frangrance, I have to keep to scents I know I can handle.  I would love to find one that says "Smells like rain, freshcut grass, and clean laundry with notes of Grandma's house, Ivory soap, and Barbie glitter lotion. NO flowers." It would have to go home with me!!

Anonymous Insider

If the sample is good.

I recently received a sample of Tokidoki's Adieu perfume in a mini rollerball.  I love it!  Having a sample of their perfume come in this type of packaging really made it convenient for me to try the product.  I will definitely purchase it when I run out of the sample.  I wish every line would provide a sample of their perfume in this type of packaging. 

1 Reply
testing