Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Daily Obsessions: Fave Foundations - Vol. 1

Inspired by the launch of ColorIQ in stores and online this month, we've been talking all foundations, all the time here at Sephora HQ. What we like, what we don't. Our favorite brands, finishes, textures. And of course, how to find the perfect shade.

So this week I scoured the Daily Obsessions to give you a rundown of Sephora staffers favorite foundations (it's a BIG list - so many that I had to split this post up into two volumes!).

What do you look for in the perfect foundation? Show & Tell!

foundation 8.13.jpg

1. Dior Diorskin Airflash Spray Foundation

“This product has changed my life-- and I’ve been shouting it from the rooftops ever since. A light spray in the morning (in a simple figure-8 motion) gives me an airbrushed flawlessness that last all day. I just sweep a little blush over it and I’m good to go. ” –Heather D., Social Media Producer

2. MAKE UP FOR EVER HD Invisible Cover Foundation

"For years I have looked for the perfect foundation that provides ample coverage, is long-lasting, blends into my skin, and leaves a flawless canvas. This foundation is the answer. The breadth of shades for every possible undertone is the best in the business. You will never buy anything else!" - Kathryn T., Color Planner

3. Smashbox Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Foundation SPF 10

"This foundation is oil-free and transfer-resistant, and keeps me shine-free. I have combination skin, but when I apply this with the Sephora Collection PRO Foundation Airbrush #55 and finish with powder I do not need to retouch my foundation all day!" - Jennie F., Regional Training Manager

4. Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup

"It gives skin a flawless, lit from within finish and feels truly naked!" - Emily K., Lead Artist

5. NARS Powder Foundation SPF12

"This is my go-to powder foundation. It gives just enough—but not too much—coverage and has SPF." - Cathy C., Director, Social Media

6. Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation

"My search for the perfect foundation ended when I tried this. It's lightweight yet still manages to offer excellent natural-looking coverage. Whether it's a long day at work or a night out dancing, it will keep your skin looking flawless." - Melissa P., Marketing Manager

7. Hourglass Veil Fluid Makeup Oil Free SPF 15

"This little bottle is all I need to make my skin look luminous. The long wearing formula lasts all day so there is no need to reapply. Also, Hourglass Veil is infused with anti-aging ingredients, so this multi-tasking product is the easy answer to your foundation woes." - Annie M., Sephora PRO Artist

Re: Daily Obsessions: Fave Foundations - Vol. 1

@Kiki1517 that's interesting! Yeah it has such a nice texture (and I hate heavy coverage so this is perfect, looks like skin). I mix whatever is leftover w/ the Perricone No Concealer Concealer!

@makeupmaven, I love the PTR CC Cream too! Such great coverage for not being a foundation. Love it for days when I'm in a hurry. I mix it with Dr. Jart Black BB Cream.

@JenBlush that's weird, the MUFE is designed for photography, strange that it would do that! I've used 125 in the HD and never had that problem.

My favorite foundation isn't truly a foundation...it's the Peter Thomas Roth CC in Medium/ Tan. I use less than a pea sized amount and it blends into my skin super easily. Looks great on top of the face oil I use (custom blend my friend makes for me).

I still haven't found a foundation that does not give off a white cast when taking flashed photography! i have tried almost everything! From Nars, to Smashbox, to UD, to MUFE! I dont know if it is just my color, or idk! But even after looking at foundations without SPF, like the MUFE and the UD cream foundation, It still appears my face is white when i take flash pictures! 😞

Great picks ladies!  I totally support having different foundations for different seasons and occasions, btw.

Favorite Foundation is Temptu Airbrush. I'm always struggling finding a balance of something that doesn't emphasize my dry skin, but has enough coverage for my dark spots. Perfect balance, stays in place, looks like i have no Makeup on! But too expensive for everyday, so i limit using it for special occasions. 

-Tarte Amazonian Clay is drying but covers so good, i have to mix a few drops of Argan Oil with it for it to work for me.

-Clinique Even Better Foundation is hydrating but not as much coverage, i'm not a huge concealer person so i wear this only when i have extra time to conceal.

-Lancome Tient Idole Ultra Foundation is alittle drying so i again use Argan Oil with it, and i have to build it up to cover, not a top contender for me, takes too much work. 

-SmashBox Studio Skin foundation is so very hydrating and looks amazing on skin, but not great coverage. 

Make Up Forever HD Invisible Cover, I know everyone raves about it, but not enough coverage without concealing first, but hydrating enough for me. I love this when paired with a concealer but i am just not good with concealer to use this on an everyday basis.

I think the Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 hr is the best i've found for my combination skin.  It really does last and has good color matching for my very fair complexion.

My favorites so far are:

• Tarte Maracuja Miracle (best for a dewy look that doesn't leave me too oily)
  • Tarte Amazonian Clay (last all day, love they expanded the color range)
  • Inglot YSM (water based, no breakouts, but no exact color match)

Foundations that haven't worked for my skin:

• Kat Von D Lock it Tattoo (too cakey, creases in fine lines)
  • Urban Decay Naked Skin (did not like consistency)
  • Dinair Airbrush (does not last in Seattle rain, even with primer and powder, messy)
  • Hourglass Immaculate Liquid to Powder (although I looooved the formula and wanted it to work, it oxidized the worst out of any foundation I've tried, so orange after a few hours)
  • NARS Sheer Matte (not enough coverage)
  • Dior Airflash (oxidized, no exact color match)
  • Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua Ultralight (smells awful)

Pimples galore:

• Benefit Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow 
  • MAC Studiofix/Prolongwear (horrible)
  • Armani Luminous Silk (loved the finish though!)
  • Chanel 
  • Makeup Forever (made me super oily)

I have been wanting to try that Smashbox 15 hour, I might have to go swatching 🙂

I love the Urban Decay Naked Skin foundation for a few reasons.  I really like the fact that the coverage is buildable so I can easily deal with problem areas or "bad skin days" without having to wear a mask.  I wear color 3.5 with a drop of 4.5.  The pumps make it very easy to dispense a tiny amount so I can custom blend my color without wasting product.  I have dry skin and I find this to be the first matte finish foundation that isn't dry and cakey looking on me.  As far as I am concerned, I have finally found my HG foundation!  🙂

10 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
Photos1
  • foundation 8.13.jpg
testing