Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Beauty Throwback Challenge: 10 years of Community!

10 year anniversary BIC_mock.png

Happy anniversary to the Beauty Insider Community!! Since our 2010 launch, we have had ten fabulous years of beauty advice, Community friendships, and llama love. Whether you have recently joined in on the BIC fun or have been around since the Community was called “BeautyTalk,” we want you to come celebrate with us!  🎉

We’re sure you’re all aware that since 2010, the beauty world has seen some pretty major changes. Trends have certainly come and gone, but isn’t that what makes beauty so exciting? As a part of our ten-year anniversary party, we are challenging you to reflect on beauty trends from the past decade. Whether they were highlights you personally loved or fads you should have avoided at all costs, we want you to share your beauty throwbacks. Each week, we’re giving you a theme to follow to help inspire you - BONUS POINTS if you have old photos of you rocking memorable trends, or if you incorporate them into a routine today!  

• Week 1 (9/9 – 9/15): Eye trends 

👁
  • Week 2 (9/16 – 9/22): Brow trends 🤨
  • Week 3 (9/23 – 9/29): Complexion (foundation, contour, etc.) trends  🖌
  • Week 4 (9/30 – 10/6): Skincare trends 🧖🏾
  • Week 5 (10/7 – 10/13): Lip trends 💄
  • Week 6 (10/14 – 10/20): Hair trends 💇

What beauty trends from the past ten years stand out to you? Click the “Reply” button below to share your thoughts or photos! 

Beauty Throwback Challenge: Share HAIR trends from the past decade!

Here's a pic from the 90's which is way more than a decade, but had to share. I had a perm and dyed blond hair. I wish Icould find my other picture where it's not pulled back in a barrette and I'm fashioning the guitarist female in the group Heart 😁

Re: Beauty Throwback Challenge: Share HAIR trends from the past decade!

@TeamBIC Not a trend per se, but the re-introduction of dry shampoo many years ago was a real game changer for me...and of course flat irons!

@greeneyedgirl107 oh my goodness.  You are sooooo right.  The flat iron.   When first introduced, I was so excited. 

I remember braids were in and hair accessories.  I always had my hair done in twists, braids and updos with flowers or pins in my hair.

For someone who doesn't like their hair mine sure has gone on a journey! It used to be super greasy, and so so thick I couldn't get all the shampoo and conditioner out, jr. high/high school years. Close to 15 years ago...oh my gosh so long ago, I started dying  my hair "weird colors" as people liked to call it. Lol guess whose all doing that now? I was ahead of that trend in our area haha. Many years back I cut it all off into a little pixie. Last year maybe I buzzed it all off! I was hoping it would go back curly...it didn't. I now keep it in a mow hawk shape I'm not sure the actual term. My sides are buzzed but the hair on top stays. Eventually I want to bleach that hair. Remember  12 years or so ago when the trend was blonde on top, and dark brown underneath? I did that too and liked it. My hair has been every color but my dream color white/silver. Now I wear wigs though haha.

Re: Beauty Throwback Challenge: Share LIP trends from the past decade!

liptrend.jpg

love the nude lip trend. used iconic nude liner from charlotte tilbury and nude 2 and 3 from kkw. Insta : andra.r.mua

Gorge @SlimNShady!! This nude shade is perfect on you. And your laaaashes! 😍

thanks so much ❤️

Everybody wearing teddy from MAC was the beginning of the nude lipstick trend and I still love it! 

@TeamBIC I don't have many fond memories of a lot of 90s lips.  I never cared for the browns nor mattes.  And I could never get behind the dark pink lip liner with the light pink lip, or the blackish-brownish lip liner with a light pink or clear lip.  But oddly enough, some of my fave lip shades were from the 90s.  Sally Hansen Ice Platinum - since the 90s are back I've e-mailed them a couple times to bring it back, but they won't.  Bath & Body Works Jasper lip gloss.  A lovely bronze-y color that totally worked for me.  Oh, I went through many of those!  And an Origins lipstick that's hard to describe, and I can't for the life of me remember the name of.

When I was in Junior HS and some of HS. The lip color was Revlon’s Toast of New York. Almost every girl in NYC the late 80s and early 90s wore this color. Rum raisin was also popular. Take brown lip liner and add some hoops! 

Anonymous Insider

Oh my yes, both Toast of New York and Rum Raisin!! I thought I was just like Cindy Crawford when I wore those! Lol!

Sadly no photos to share, but in high school I definitely gave into the K-Beauty "gradient lip" trend that got a lot of traction a few years back. I still think this is a super pretty look (if done right - it was beyond high school me's skill level) 😅

Gosh I remember before there were good lip stains around using lip sealer / kinda like clear nail polish for your lips and by the end of the day it would all come off in little chunks 🤢... thankfully there are some great products out now! I love Huda as it stays all day  and does not dry out - but also thinking as I am in a mask all day , should just invest in some good lip balm

Anonymous Insider

Re: Beauty Throwback Challenge: Share SKINCARE trends from the past decade!

Very interesting

Back in my highschool time, it was a trend to have pale lips, as pale as our foundation (that was also around 2 shades too light, not goth, just very light)

Alot of people still like that style and for some of them it works, but for some others 🤐🤐🤐😂😂

Back in junior high I used to wear lip liner On the outer edge of the lips and clear lip balm in the center. 

@SportyGirly125 LOL. I remember this look!

Hahahah I totally remember this trend 😂 @SportyGirly125 

I remember using Noxzema in the blue jar. It made my face feel fresh and soft! 

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos32
  • IMG_20150809_151533.jpg
  • 10 year anniversary BIC_mock.png
  • 6CF117CE-37EE-4C96-A49C-F3DD95E49931.jpeg
  • 15997057785587646558937783135457.jpg
  • woF_HtUB9TaP
  • throwbackeyes.JPG
  • 10 year challenge_eye trends.JPG
  • A93EBF7A-14E3-42AA-888B-AE2DF3C1A695.jpeg
  • 0A674B11-4DB2-41B7-9DF4-88F79F8064FA.gif