Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Beauty Throwback Challenge: 10 years of Community!

10 year anniversary BIC_mock.png

Happy anniversary to the Beauty Insider Community!! Since our 2010 launch, we have had ten fabulous years of beauty advice, Community friendships, and llama love. Whether you have recently joined in on the BIC fun or have been around since the Community was called “BeautyTalk,” we want you to come celebrate with us!  🎉

We’re sure you’re all aware that since 2010, the beauty world has seen some pretty major changes. Trends have certainly come and gone, but isn’t that what makes beauty so exciting? As a part of our ten-year anniversary party, we are challenging you to reflect on beauty trends from the past decade. Whether they were highlights you personally loved or fads you should have avoided at all costs, we want you to share your beauty throwbacks. Each week, we’re giving you a theme to follow to help inspire you - BONUS POINTS if you have old photos of you rocking memorable trends, or if you incorporate them into a routine today!  

• Week 1 (9/9 – 9/15): Eye trends 

👁
  • Week 2 (9/16 – 9/22): Brow trends 🤨
  • Week 3 (9/23 – 9/29): Complexion (foundation, contour, etc.) trends  🖌
  • Week 4 (9/30 – 10/6): Skincare trends 🧖🏾
  • Week 5 (10/7 – 10/13): Lip trends 💄
  • Week 6 (10/14 – 10/20): Hair trends 💇

What beauty trends from the past ten years stand out to you? Click the “Reply” button below to share your thoughts or photos! 

Re: Beauty Throwback Challenge: Share SKINCARE trends from the past decade!

@Longacre i remember the cringy tv commercials 😂😂😂😂😂😂

It clears out my acne. 😍 saves money ❤️

I remember really learning about my skin type (dry, flaky) and getting into exfoliation and layering moisturizing products. On the menu was a Clairsonic, #kate Somerville exfoliate, and REN Clean Skincare Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 mL . I think I overdid it with the clairsonic most nights. I liked layering my moisturizer with Laura Mercier hydrating primer and tinted moisturizer. My face did not dry down. It was literally sticky, but I thought it was great until I tried out Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation 213 and lotions/moisturizers. I still love that stuff and wish Sephora still carried all of it!

I remember being obsessed with the Clean & Clear facial cleansers, especially the ones with "bursting beads". I also used to love using Oxypads. I loved how cool my face felt after!

#anniversary #beautyinsidercommunity

@AJBlondie Oh my goodness.  I remember using Oxypads! I absolutely loved them 😂😂😂😂😂

Oh my goodness, I remember the morning burst cleanser!  
I remember when GLAMGLOW YOUTHMUD® Glow Stimulating & Exfoliating Treatment Mask 1.7 oz/ 50g  took over the market.  It was everywhere and one of the first skincare products I remember seeing Youtubers push.  I tried it so many times and always wondered why it didn't work for my poor, dry skin.  

@TeamBIC I think it's interesting to look back on how skincare ingredients are marketed over the years.  Like how commercials explained micellar water.  And now how Eva Longoria is pronouncing hyaluronic acid for us.

I'm also curious to hear what products BICers remember being highly touted on BIC over the years.  For some reason belif is all that's coming to mind right now.  I remember reading a lot of posts about it.

@TeamBIC As a teenager I remember using Biore blackhead strips on my nose all the time.  They were always advertising it in magazines and on tv

@SportyGirly125 Me too!   I loved them.

FB6EB66B-A30A-4957-8D65-3ED772F57CB0.jpeg

I remember myself and all my friends being obsessed with those facial cleansers that had the bursting beads in them, my favorite was the clean and clear citrus one! 

Re: Beauty Throwback Challenge: Share COMPLEXION trends from the past decade!

Back in the days my only complexion product was Stila colour correcting CC cream. Luckily their medium shade matched me perfectly and I wasn’t using any concealer but then I didn’t have much to conceal at that time. That was a sad time when it discontinued .

@fatimamummy I still use my Stila CC cream when I go out or have a pic to take.  It's lasted me SO long b/c I rarely wear foundation!

I bought one initially for my sister, but like it so much I bought one for myself.  Years ago!

I've tried foundations but since I am chronically dehydrated  nothing works for me. I sometimes find a bb cream that works. I loved Boscias old BB cream before they went and discontinued that and brought in some tinted kind. I don't touch bronzer, unless I use it as an eyeshadow. I rarely use blush, I look like a clown. But oh boy do I love me some highlighter.

Back in middle/high school it was always the super cheap silicone drug store foundations. You know the ones, that came with that pitiful sponge and would dry out almost immediately 😂 it always looked so orange no matter what your skin tone was. Not to mention this was a time when the concept of blending your foundation into your neck was unheard of, so we were all walking around looking like we were wearing an orange-tinted face mask. 
personal favorite: after gym class one day in ninth grade I saw a girl pump some cheap drug store liquid foundation into her hands and rub it aggressively onto her face like a sunscreen 🤣 it was a simpler time y’all

In my middle school days primer and setting spray weren’t overly talked about. Also me actually knowing my correct shade? Not a thing lol. I walked around two shades too light and with the wrong undertones. I’m very glad that as my love for makeup progressed the beauty trends changed as well. As I got older things like primer, setting spray, powders. Etc. Became much more of a staple. And I am so grateful for that. Makeup is a beautiful thing isn’t it? ❤️

It's been a long journey in finding the right foundation for me.  I always had a hard time finding foundation that looks good on my oily skin without it looking cakey, too matte, or oxidizes.

Right now, I'm loving Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Foundation 1W0 Warm Porcelain.

I'm so disappointed about NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation Gobi changing their formulation since that was my all time favorite.

I love KVD Beauty Shade + Light Refillable Powder Face Contour Palette and Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer Milk Chocolate.

I've been using BECCA Cosmetics Shimmering Skin Perfector® Pressed Highlighter Champagne Pop but I'm searching for a new one since it cracks easily.  I would love a brighter highlighter as well.

Re: Beauty Throwback Challenge: Share BROW trends from the past decade!

So beautiful!!

@SlimNShady  So pretty!!

@SlimNShady Gorgeous

Before Instagram and filters. I was rocking a natural complexion with no highlighter and a slight contour. 

37F6CE62-2479-4D7C-AFD9-2A1F844FB397.jpeg

Conversation Stats
Photos32
  • IMG_20150809_151533.jpg
  • 10 year anniversary BIC_mock.png
  • 6CF117CE-37EE-4C96-A49C-F3DD95E49931.jpeg
  • 15997057785587646558937783135457.jpg
  • woF_HtUB9TaP
  • throwbackeyes.JPG
  • 10 year challenge_eye trends.JPG
  • A93EBF7A-14E3-42AA-888B-AE2DF3C1A695.jpeg
  • 0A674B11-4DB2-41B7-9DF4-88F79F8064FA.gif