Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Beauty Insider Community Feedback

Hello beautiful Beauty Insider Community members! 

We’re starting this thread for you guys to report any issues and weird things that you are seeing or ask any questions. We have a number of issues logged that we are already working on a fix for, so this is a work in process.

Some things to note as you are reporting issues:

• If you are looking for a thread and can’t find it, please post here. We’ll need to manually move some threads that got lost in the migration to their correct groups.
  • If you are reporting a bug please be specific about the issue you're seeing, how you got there (“I clicked here and it did *this*”), the device you're using and which browser you're in. 

Some tips:

• If you are looking for a thread that you commented on in the old community, go to the front page of conversations and click the “My Posts” tab. This is where you will find all of your conversations activity, including your heart count.

It’s good to see you all and thanks for being patient!

Whenever reporting a bug we need as much info as possible or our tech team cannot reproduce the issue and verify it's actually occurring. If they can't see the issue they cannot fix it. You cannot overshare details, test on too many devices or share too many screenshots... The more detail the better!

Re: Beauty Insider Community Feedback

Thanks for the update @KatieBT!

Thank you @KatieBT for the updates.  We all know ya 'all working really hard on this and please give a big thank you to the whole team. Does everybody hear that about the ranking??? We should start getting ready to throw a big Heart party to our lovely @veronika23 soon!!! 😉

@blackkitty2014  oh maybe... I even added 7 new reviews and that did nothing  😂😂😂  I just want my HOF status back 😭😭😭

We should really have a heart party when you move up a level @veronika23 😉 I expect you to be the first lol 

@blackkitty2014  me? Why me? I don't deserve anything 😄  Throw another one for the mods when it's all fixed 🙂

@KatieBT Are posts about influenster allowed? I feel like they weren't (or at least I didn't see them) on the old BT.

- When we see the Popular threads, can you make it so that it's threads that are popular in the last week or month? The ones that pop up are so old and unused.

@makeitup305 we know 😞 We're investigating how to fix this!

But aren't you interested in finding out what the hottest new product will be in 2012?  @makeitup305

wink.gif

I wish there was a way we could "pin" our favorite/subscribed posts to the main page. It has so much empty space right now and I could use some help finding some of my favorites.

I've been working on a doozy of a list lately; my apologies in advance for anyone actually willing to read it all and digest it (which I sincerely hope at least the site developers do...). Many are repeats of things I think are important; some are things I haven't seen discussed much, if at all, but seem like they would be welcome tweaks/improvements. If I missed/didn't repeat something that has been said here, it's not because I don't find it important...I likely just flat out forgot to include it in the notes I've been scribbling for days now lol.

I do not use the app at all (haven't even downloaded it), so please keep in mind that everything I am talking about relates to the desktop or mobile site only.

1. To echo everyone else's number one complaint, please for the love of all things beautiful, get CS posts off the main page. Not much else to add, except I do find it odd that there seems to have been a step backwards in terms of technology here...in the old BT, The Off-Topic threads weren't on the main feed...not sure why now it's so difficult to get CS threads off the main feed.
   (1a. and speaking of CS issues, please, fix the sample problems. And the shipping problems. And add a place for folks to input their own receipts on their accounts so that they can get their points. And allow folks to edit reviews. Those would take care of at *least* 50% of posts in the first place.)

2. To echo itscarin's #2, newbies posting the same thread 2, 3, or even 4 times in different groups has got to stop. At the very least, there needs to be a spam filter or some sort of warning "hey, you've already posted this once; nope, can't post it again". But, it does need to be smart enough to recognize a difference in "this is a new thread" vs "this is just an edit of an existing thread"...I've seen several complaints lately of posts/threads disappearing, and it seems to be that the OP edited their post one or more times, so perhaps an overzealous spam filter can't currently differentiate between a new post and an edit?

3. Instead of the "featured post" at the top of every conversation page being hype for a new product or some other "thread of the week", can you please make it a comprehensive FAQ about the boards instead? Or at least make an FAQ that is stuck to the top along with the featured post. One that covers most everything...where to post CS problems, how to search/find info, the basics of what info goes where. In other forums I frequent, at least the large ones, there's also a basic "directory post" stickied to the top of the page, with links to the most popular/basic threads. I'd include things like the New Release thread, the Beauty News thread, the threads for each brand, What Are You Wearing, Skincare 101, Makeup 101, The Question thread, etc. Basic threads that point newbies in the right direction to help themselves and learn to navigate BIC a bit. And just as importantly, these threads need to be monitored by mods and questions need to be answered there.

4. I want a way to custom-filter posts/threads, and have an alert if a topic I'm interested in pops up...maybe I want to know every time a new thread pertaining to "oily hair" gets posted. But I also want it to have a negative search capability (as in "do not include posts that contain 'Influenster' ")

5. Moderation...there needs to be more active moderation on a board this size, and frankly, it needs to be 24/7. Mods need to be working behind the scenes to delete duplicate posts, move posts to their proper group, answer CS questions, etc. I just popped into the Rouge group just to see what it looks like, and I see posts for "what's a good face primer for dry skin", "naked heat palette out of stock", and "cream contour"...none of those are Rouge topics. *If you are going to push groups as the major division in the site, then you need to be enforcing them*

6. Speaking of Groups...there are way too many, encouraging multiple posts across several groups. Someone posts in skincare aware, but then they post in combo skin too, but then since their skin is combo-oily, they post in the oily group too...it's dizzying trying to figure it all out. Groups should be more like the old BT was...broad high-level groups with subgroups underneath. I don't see much need for more than 7 or 8 (makeup, skin care, hair, bath/body, CS, Off Topic, one that's status based [Rouge/VIB/BI]...any others?)...further breakdown should occur as subgroups. Breaking everything up into super-small categories as your only breakdown is causing more confusion, not less. Less is more here...keep groups simple.

7. Make the CS Group look like the rest of the groups. I was amazed (and not in a good way) when I looked at the CS feed...no freaking wonder folks post new threads all the time...they can't see what threads already exist. I would never wade through that mess to answer a question for myself, so I don't really expect the newbies to either.

8. Thank you for page numbers at the tops of most pages, but can you please extend that to *all* pages? It doesn't show up at the top of Page 1 in any thread or the Main Feed.

9. Time stamps. I know I have mentioned this once before, but I don't think I've seen anyone else mention it. Maybe everyone else uses the "relative" time option (i.e. where it shows "3 hours ago" instead of "12:19"), but I can't stand relative times, so I use the absolute option. I am in the Central time zone, so that's what I have set as my display preference. HOWEVER...times still show differently in different places. The conversation feed displays Pacific times (even though my preference is Central); when I click through to a thread, the post times are all correct with Central times (so I know my preference is indeed set). If I click through someone's name to see their profile, times on their profile page revert back to relative instead of absolute. Time should be consistent across the site. Additionally, please add an am/pm indicator...it becomes important when using absolute times and trying to figure out what was posted when if I'm backtracking through a conversation.

10. Pictures. Are we ever getting control of our pictures back like we had before? I refuse to post any more face pics until I have better/easier/quicker control of them. I had to spend several hours one day painstakingly going through post by post to delete ones I had posted on BT. I've had unwanted attention in the past, and while it's not a major concern for me now, with the previous album feature, I could at least contain and quickly change permissions on any pics I didn't want up anymore. Without that, I won't post anything identifying, as trying to hunt them down later becomes difficult.

11. My Posts page (as it relates to me, and when I look at the list of other users' posts) : I want this to display the time each post on the list was made, but instead it displays the time of the most recent post in whatever thread the post came from. 

12. Conversation feed should display the post time of the original post, the author, and the number of posts in the thread, in addition to the currently-displayed most recent post time & author.

13. When replying to posts, I want to see, if not the entire thread, at least the last 10 or 20 posts instead of just the one post I am responding to. Since I can't reply to a reply of a reply, I'm likely not *really* replying to that post anyways, but one after it that won't allow replies anymore. Sigh.

(13a. fix the fact that I can't reply to a reply of a reply...)

14. Also when replying to posts, a "preview post" feature would be lovely. One that shows me how my post will look once posted...with the tiny text box, I have a hard time seeing typos, errors, bad formatting, messed up smilies, etc...preview post would allow me to see and proofread my entire post as it will look, and allow me to make corrections before posting (instead of after, where seemingly overzealous spam-bots hate edits...).

15. The mobile site is entirely too slow; 15, 20 or more seconds to load a page is ridiculous and frustrating. And I can't scroll while it's loading (well, I can, but it just jumps me back up to the top of the page once it finally finishes). I spend less time per session here, as I get tired of waiting, and most of my BIC time is relegated to my phone, not my desktop.

16. I *hate* that I can't zoom in on pics on the mobile site...if I want to look at a detail in a pic, I have to download it to my phone so I can zoom in. Using the "enlarge" or "zoom" magnifying glass icon just takes me to a new page of the pic with no text, but even there I still can't zoom in without downloading the pic.

17. If you made it this far, thank you and go have a drink (just as soon as you fix it all lol) 😛

And for some general commentary on the newness as opposed to just technical issues/suggestions:
BT was awesome. BIC has potential, but in striving for "more", it has taken a huge step back in terms of "that community feeling". Community has given way to IG and FB type posts...once and done posters where the OP has no idea what BIC really is, and they really don't care...it's all either "hallllp me because I'm too lazy to search and read" or "look what influenster sent me". It has become just another "social media outlet" (and yes, that is absolutely a derogatory term to me) where people post their own question/new item/whatever in a new thread and no one stops to chat or have a meaningful conversation. If that's the vibe Sephora is going for, then so be it, but in all the recent articles, Sephora is touting a "community" so I'm not sure a site full of "cold impersonal bragging" and "spoonfeed me answers" was Sephora's intention.

But here's the real question, not for the developers and mods, but for everyone else: at what point do we, the community members, take a step back and realize we can't fight the flood; that if we can't assimilate the newbies to us, heaven forbid, are we going to assimilate to them, or do we just walk away? I think some version of this question is on many folks' minds, folks that have been around a while. I know personally, I keep coming back at least for now, and likely will solely for Ulta and Deals (oh, the irony there...), but I'm nowhere near as enthusiastic as I once was. I now look for only those two threads, and if I see anything interesting on the first page or two of the feed, I'll stop in and check it out. Rarely do I make it to page 3 of the feed...why bother? It's just more CS posts and inane questions. Every now and again I'll try to direct a newbie in the right direction, but I also have to avoid those threads many days as my natural tendency to snark is quite real and quite biting. I know that's not nice, so try to I keep my mouth shut when I feel annoyed or perturbed lol. But overall, I think this is a tough question to answer, and it's one that everyone will have to consider and answer on their own at some point, sadly. 

RE: Re: Beauty Insider Community Feedback

@RGbrown This is some fabulous feedback. I actually have sadly stepped away from the community until the next phase of usability is rolled out. I just found myself needy stressing out over a makeup message board and-well-that's just not worth it. I still really value this community immensely but I do miss the old board a lot. And commas. And paragraph breaks - this is in reference to the mobile app. I'll probably check back in a month. I hope Sephora can beef up their web dev team and roll out some deployments by then! I miss you ladies!

You provided some great feedback @RGbrown !  I love the idea of exchanging the pinned featured posts with FAQS (#3).  Wider moderation (#5) is definite must with particular emphasis on merging repeat posts!  I couldn't agree more that the number of groups is a bit much and encourages confusion (#6).  A preview post option (#14) is a great idea.

You ask some very important questions at the end of your post.  While I know I made a personal decision to try to redirect and assist new posters it does get overwhelming and I have certainly asked myself the same: at what point do I realize that I cannot fight the flood?  It's a bit discouraging and some days the only reason I log on is because I miss some of the folks I formed connections with on BT and I hope to see a post from them. 

RGbrown wrote:

I've been working on a doozy of a list lately; my apologies in advance for anyone actually willing to read it all and digest it (which I sincerely hope at least the site developers do...). Many are repeats of things I think are important; some are things I haven't seen discussed much, if at all, but seem like they would be welcome tweaks/improvements. If I missed/didn't repeat something that has been said here, it's not because I don't find it important...I likely just flat out forgot to include it in the notes I've been scribbling for days now lol.

I do not use the app at all (haven't even downloaded it), so please keep in mind that everything I am talking about relates to the desktop or mobile site only.

1. To echo everyone else's number one complaint, please for the love of all things beautiful, get CS posts off the main page. Not much else to add, except I do find it odd that there seems to have been a step backwards in terms of technology here...in the old BT, The Off-Topic threads weren't on the main feed...not sure why now it's so difficult to get CS threads off the main feed.
   (1a. and speaking of CS issues, please, fix the sample problems. And the shipping problems. And add a place for folks to input their own receipts on their accounts so that they can get their points. And allow folks to edit reviews. Those would take care of at *least* 50% of posts in the first place.)

2. To echo itscarin's #2, newbies posting the same thread 2, 3, or even 4 times in different groups has got to stop. At the very least, there needs to be a spam filter or some sort of warning "hey, you've already posted this once; nope, can't post it again". But, it does need to be smart enough to recognize a difference in "this is a new thread" vs "this is just an edit of an existing thread"...I've seen several complaints lately of posts/threads disappearing, and it seems to be that the OP edited their post one or more times, so perhaps an overzealous spam filter can't currently differentiate between a new post and an edit?

3. Instead of the "featured post" at the top of every conversation page being hype for a new product or some other "thread of the week", can you please make it a comprehensive FAQ about the boards instead? Or at least make an FAQ that is stuck to the top along with the featured post. One that covers most everything...where to post CS problems, how to search/find info, the basics of what info goes where. In other forums I frequent, at least the large ones, there's also a basic "directory post" stickied to the top of the page, with links to the most popular/basic threads. I'd include things like the New Release thread, the Beauty News thread, the threads for each brand, What Are You Wearing, Skincare 101, Makeup 101, The Question thread, etc. Basic threads that point newbies in the right direction to help themselves and learn to navigate BIC a bit. And just as importantly, these threads need to be monitored by mods and questions need to be answered there.

4. I want a way to custom-filter posts/threads, and have an alert if a topic I'm interested in pops up...maybe I want to know every time a new thread pertaining to "oily hair" gets posted. But I also want it to have a negative search capability (as in "do not include posts that contain 'Influenster' ")

5. Moderation...there needs to be more active moderation on a board this size, and frankly, it needs to be 24/7. Mods need to be working behind the scenes to delete duplicate posts, move posts to their proper group, answer CS questions, etc. I just popped into the Rouge group just to see what it looks like, and I see posts for "what's a good face primer for dry skin", "naked heat palette out of stock", and "cream contour"...none of those are Rouge topics. *If you are going to push groups as the major division in the site, then you need to be enforcing them*

6. Speaking of Groups...there are way too many, encouraging multiple posts across several groups. Someone posts in skincare aware, but then they post in combo skin too, but then since their skin is combo-oily, they post in the oily group too...it's dizzying trying to figure it all out. Groups should be more like the old BT was...broad high-level groups with subgroups underneath. I don't see much need for more than 7 or 8 (makeup, skin care, hair, bath/body, CS, Off Topic, one that's status based [Rouge/VIB/BI]...any others?)...further breakdown should occur as subgroups. Breaking everything up into super-small categories as your only breakdown is causing more confusion, not less. Less is more here...keep groups simple.

7. Make the CS Group look like the rest of the groups. I was amazed (and not in a good way) when I looked at the CS feed...no freaking wonder folks post new threads all the time...they can't see what threads already exist. I would never wade through that mess to answer a question for myself, so I don't really expect the newbies to either.

8. Thank you for page numbers at the tops of most pages, but can you please extend that to *all* pages? It doesn't show up at the top of Page 1 in any thread or the Main Feed.

9. Time stamps. I know I have mentioned this once before, but I don't think I've seen anyone else mention it. Maybe everyone else uses the "relative" time option (i.e. where it shows "3 hours ago" instead of "12:19"), but I can't stand relative times, so I use the absolute option. I am in the Central time zone, so that's what I have set as my display preference. HOWEVER...times still show differently in different places. The conversation feed displays Pacific times (even though my preference is Central); when I click through to a thread, the post times are all correct with Central times (so I know my preference is indeed set). If I click through someone's name to see their profile, times on their profile page revert back to relative instead of absolute. Time should be consistent across the site. Additionally, please add an am/pm indicator...it becomes important when using absolute times and trying to figure out what was posted when if I'm backtracking through a conversation.

10. Pictures. Are we ever getting control of our pictures back like we had before? I refuse to post any more face pics until I have better/easier/quicker control of them. I had to spend several hours one day painstakingly going through post by post to delete ones I had posted on BT. I've had unwanted attention in the past, and while it's not a major concern for me now, with the previous album feature, I could at least contain and quickly change permissions on any pics I didn't want up anymore. Without that, I won't post anything identifying, as trying to hunt them down later becomes difficult.

11. My Posts page (as it relates to me, and when I look at the list of other users' posts) : I want this to display the time each post on the list was made, but instead it displays the time of the most recent post in whatever thread the post came from. 

12. Conversation feed should display the post time of the original post, the author, and the number of posts in the thread, in addition to the currently-displayed most recent post time & author.

13. When replying to posts, I want to see, if not the entire thread, at least the last 10 or 20 posts instead of just the one post I am responding to. Since I can't reply to a reply of a reply, I'm likely not *really* replying to that post anyways, but one after it that won't allow replies anymore. Sigh.

(13a. fix the fact that I can't reply to a reply of a reply...)

14. Also when replying to posts, a "preview post" feature would be lovely. One that shows me how my post will look once posted...with the tiny text box, I have a hard time seeing typos, errors, bad formatting, messed up smilies, etc...preview post would allow me to see and proofread my entire post as it will look, and allow me to make corrections before posting (instead of after, where seemingly overzealous spam-bots hate edits...).

15. The mobile site is entirely too slow; 15, 20 or more seconds to load a page is ridiculous and frustrating. And I can't scroll while it's loading (well, I can, but it just jumps me back up to the top of the page once it finally finishes). I spend less time per session here, as I get tired of waiting, and most of my BIC time is relegated to my phone, not my desktop.

16. I *hate* that I can't zoom in on pics on the mobile site...if I want to look at a detail in a pic, I have to download it to my phone so I can zoom in. Using the "enlarge" or "zoom" magnifying glass icon just takes me to a new page of the pic with no text, but even there I still can't zoom in without downloading the pic.

17. If you made it this far, thank you and go have a drink (just as soon as you fix it all lol) 😛

And for some general commentary on the newness as opposed to just technical issues/suggestions:
BT was awesome. BIC has potential, but in striving for "more", it has taken a huge step back in terms of "that community feeling". Community has given way to IG and FB type posts...once and done posters where the OP has no idea what BIC really is, and they really don't care...it's all either "hallllp me because I'm too lazy to search and read" or "look what influenster sent me". It has become just another "social media outlet" (and yes, that is absolutely a derogatory term to me) where people post their own question/new item/whatever in a new thread and no one stops to chat or have a meaningful conversation. If that's the vibe Sephora is going for, then so be it, but in all the recent articles, Sephora is touting a "community" so I'm not sure a site full of "cold impersonal bragging" and "spoonfeed me answers" was Sephora's intention.

But here's the real question, not for the developers and mods, but for everyone else: at what point do we, the community members, take a step back and realize we can't fight the flood; that if we can't assimilate the newbies to us, heaven forbid, are we going to assimilate to them, or do we just walk away? I think some version of this question is on many folks' minds, folks that have been around a while. I know personally, I keep coming back at least for now, and likely will solely for Ulta and Deals (oh, the irony there...), but I'm nowhere near as enthusiastic as I once was. I now look for only those two threads, and if I see anything interesting on the first page or two of the feed, I'll stop in and check it out. Rarely do I make it to page 3 of the feed...why bother? It's just more CS posts and inane questions. Every now and again I'll try to direct a newbie in the right direction, but I also have to avoid those threads many days as my natural tendency to snark is quite real and quite biting. I know that's not nice, so try to I keep my mouth shut when I feel annoyed or perturbed lol. But overall, I think this is a tough question to answer, and it's one that everyone will have to consider and answer on their own at some point, sadly. 

Throwing 1000 hearts in your direction, @RGbrown, but sadly, only one counts officially.

#5 is especially important. There is zero moderation in these forums. You can have mods respond to the customer service posts in the customer service area, but what we really need is ORGANIZATION. There needs to be an employee to merge threads, point people in the right direction, delete irrelevant threads around the clock. In any well-organized forum, this is done every day. I've been an active participate in my share of forums (I'm a 10-year member in one with 15,000+ posts and the reason I don't have more is because of life/priority changes, but I still lurk and post from time to time) and mods are ALWAYS around in the well-moderated forums.

Also, wouldn't it be easier to pin a post with commonly asked customer service questions like a Customer Service FAQ? Seriously, posts like "how can I change my birthday", "I have missing points", "I have missing samples"...all of these just involve a mod responding back to that particular person. Most established members don't need to see this over and over again. Wouldn't it be easier to have a post where all of this info is listed so people (who aren't too lazy to read) have a starting point as to where they need to look for help (or who they can PM directly), rather than flooding the entire forum?

Sephora, I understand that you wanted to create this community to engage with customers and get people excited and talking about beauty. But more work needs to be done. I think with the crazy number of duplicate and customer service posts, and the lack of response to such threads, you're actually disengaging people--especially those who transitioned from the old BT.

@KatieBT @candacebt @ShiraBT

Perfectly said @k617. You took the words right out of my mouth! After the BIC update, there's less feeling of community because of all of the fleeting new threads that sometimes don't even get answered--possibly because we and/or mods are feeling a bit overwhelmed. 

I understand that some may want to post publicly about their feedback, and the CS portion of BIC is exactly the place to do that. However, it seems that many CS concerns can be better assisted via direct live chat. I'm unsure if people are aware but Sephora is one of the few retailers with awesome live chat CS, on both Facebook and Twitter. 😕

@k617 I agree that this feels like Reddit. Really don't care for BIC all that much right now. Things need to change.

@Beadshopgirl It sure is feeling more and more like reddit everyday. Reddit - best place for people to post and others to drop by and move on. NO meaningful discussions, no engagement, and no sense of community. Just a transient place for people to hang out when they're bored.

To add to my post, here's a breakdown of 100 post titles that I went through, from page 1-4. A breakdown of posts that Customer Service can answer, that none of us need to see:

Wrong email/address/missing order/delivery issues (6)
Unsuccessful authorization (6)
Link account with VIB card (4)
Change birthday (1)
Wrong points/Transferring points (4)
Wrong/missing samples (8)
How to use/Issues BIC - excluding main feedback thread (3)
Gift card help (1)
Issues with posted review (3)
Play box related questions - not discussions (5)

41/100 of the threads I went through were customer service related. 8 of those were about missing samples. @KatieBT @candacebt @ShiraBT

@k617 I truly don't think they care about what those of us who were active on the old BT want and have lost. They want these 13 year olds with their snark turning this place into another Reddit. Well congrats to them; they achieved it.

@RGbrown Thank you for this post. I wish I could give it 1000 hearts!

testing