cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Ask a Beauty Expert

Ask a Beauty ExpertAsk a Beauty Expert

If you know your way around the Beauty Insider Community, chances are you’ve seen a few of our Sephora Pro Artists sharing their looks on the Gallery and dropping their beauty routines in some of our favorite challenge threads.  @ElizaPRO@ShawnPRO, and @ProAmy are Makeup Artists with years of industry experience with a bounty of product knowledge to share. These beauty geniuses are subject matter experts and they give life-changing advice on how to build your basket and put your haul to good use!

We've created this thread to allow you all to better connect with our Sephora Pro Artists here in the BIC! This is a place for you to ask them ANYTHING beauty-related. Don't forget to bookmark this thread by clicking the bookmark icon at the top right of this thread. It will come in handy for those moments you wish you had a beauty expert on speed dial for questions like "is it a good idea to layer these skincare products?" or "what's the best brush for my foundation routine?"

Want to ask a question? Click the 'Reply' button below!

Re: Ask a Beauty Director

Where is manufactured the Supersonic Dyson? 

I tried a sample-sized belif Peat Miracle Revital Eye Cream and I loved the results. I am considering buying the face cream and would like to know if the formula is the same as the eye cream I tried. 

Hi,

I can't figure out how to get my colour iq. My current foundation is Complexion Rescue by Bare Minerals, shade Birch 1.5. I have tried so many times to figure it out. Could you let me know what it would be please?

@CharismaEide They no longer have color IQ.  There is only a shade finder now.

RE: Re: Ask a Beauty Director

Oh okay, thank you so much!

Hi, 

I am interested in trying out the IT Your Skin But Better Foundation + Skincare, but am I unsure of the color or shade to choose. I currently use Alaska (Light 2) shade from Nars. I want to look natural and want a  medium to full coverage as I have some hyperpigmentation. Is this the right foundation to purchase? Does it provide decent buildable coverage for your skin? I am an older adult, but want natural coverage. It has been a challenge to find something that has great coverage, stays on long, does not fade, great for your skin, stays put, is not cakey, and great for older skin.   

Thank you for your recommendation!

@Ryrap yes that's a great foundation and sounds like from your concerns a good match for you, try shade 'Light Warm 21' 

Hello, I am a Rouge member and I noticed on the beauty insider summary that there is a rouge reward (exchange 2500 points for 100$ your purchase). I have enough points but don't know how to get the reward, could you let me know how I can get the reward?

@JanieCormier @You redeem it in the rewards Bazaar. The reward is available Tuesdays and Thursdays around 9 am pst but they go fast. 

Hi.

I'm interested in purchasing Charlotte Tilbury Brow Lift Eyebrow Pencil, but I'm not sure which shade would be the best for me.  I have blond hair (dark blond/light brown with very blond highlights around my face and the top of my head).  I have blue eyes, and my eyebrows are naturally light blond and my eyelashes are also light blond.  I want to enhance my eyebrows so they "pop" a little bit,  without looking too dark or "fake".  I'm not sure if I should try  Grace K (fair brow) or Light Taupe (fair brow).  If I don't put on any sort of brow color, you really don't notice them at all once I have eye makeup on.  They look unfinished.  Your suggestions are appreciated.

BonnieLew123Bonnie copy.jpg

I don't have any info about Charlotte Tilbury, so I am sorry for that. Also I am not a Beauty Director, of course. But I think our brows are very similar. I recently tried the new Velour Fluff'N Brow in the lightest shade, Taupe (for light to golden blonde hair, neutral undertone), and it is working out quite well, especially the pencil side, for lightly defining the overall shape of the brow while matching my natural brows better than anything I have tried over the years. The balm really does make my brows "fluffy" as well. Hopefully this might be helpful! @BonnieLew123 

Another recent brow winner for me is the MAC Shape + Shade Brow Tint in the shade Fling. It is great for drawing individual brow hairs. It is a double-ended format, with a skinny pen on one end and a powder dispenser on the other. I have not tried the powder side of the product yet. I also have this in the shade Taupe, but in this product "taupe" is more for neutral dark blonde to light brunette, gray and silver.

One more product I unsolicitedly recommend is Make Up For Ever Aqua Brow. You get a lot of product in this one, unlike the MAC pen which I expect to run out quickly. With the Aqua Brow, I found that if I use a very, very small amount, squeezed out onto my hand, and swipe it up evenly onto the wand of a clear brow gel, it mixes well and defines individual brow hairs. Great for me as some of my eyebrow hairs seem to have become see-through! I also really like the finish as it looks natural and not so matte as some other brands' products. Unfortunately, shade 15 in Aqua Brow is a bit too dark for me, and I have yet to get ahold of shade 10. But I can use shade 15 as long as I use it sparingly, mixed with clear brow gel.

Good luck on your brow quest!

Thank you so much!  I did decide to try Charlotte Tilbury, but if the color isn't right then I'm going to return it and try one of your suggestions!  I really appreciate it.

I an 14 and I have acne, shocker I know. I am looking for the best way to cover my acne while not having a full face of makeup on. What products would you recommend? I looked at a few, but I’m not sure what to do. Help!!

From my personal experience, using high coverage concealer over my acne just irritated it and made more pimples appear. However, if you must (I understand if you want to cover it up, I’ve been there too) you can use pimple patches like the Peace Out Acne Healing Dots 20 Acne Healing Dots. It kind of creates a skin-like barrier over specific acne spots and I believe it’s concentrated with salicylic acid which is good for fighting acne. Although, it does protrude out a bit which makes it noticeable so here are a few ways you can cover acne. You can use COVER FX Mattifying Primer With Anti-Acne Treatment 1 oz/ 30 mL, it is also formulated with salicylic acid. A primer can even out your skin and preps it so it’s easier to apply foundation and to add more makeup products to your look. This is optional too but to lessen the appearance and redness of pimples, a colour corrector works as well. If your acne is quite red, a green colour corrector can reduce that appearance. You can try using the IT Cosmetics concealer you mentioned but beware that it might irritate your skin since it is infused with witch hazel and tea tree (they can be quite harsh on the skin). At the end of the day, remember not to pack on too much makeup products or leave your makeup on for too long (wash it off during the end of the day) as this could potentially build up and clog your pores. You can either use some micellar water or an oil cleanser to remove your makeup and follow it up with a gentle cleanser filled with acne-fighting ingredients (take extra caution with the ingredients if you have sensitive or acne-prone skin). This was what worked for me to make my skin more clear. Some products may or may not work and I hope my suggestions helped you! Good luck on your makeup journey and stay safe! xoxo

Omg thank you so much! I had no idea that there was witch hazel in that concealer. I will definitely try some of those tips. Thanks again for the advice

xoxo

Abbey

I am 62 & skin is doing well. I always forget if I should use the matte or regular loose BareMinerals powder?

@warner178 that would be a personal choice , it depends on how dry your skin is and what effect you want to create. 

I'm a teen having a problem with fungal acne. I have normal skin.

What skincare products do you recommend?

@adrianacamila i would speak with a doctor or dermatologist , because 'fungal acne' is not really acne per se, its actually an infection of the hair follicle. and its mostly found on the body in areas like the chest , shoulders and back. so you want to be sure this is truly what you have.

@adrianacamila Have you seen a dermatologist yet? Did they actually diagnose you with fungal acne? If that's truly what you have, there are several ingredients you should avoid in skincare and (I assume) makeup products. I recommend talking with a derm, or even a primary care doctor, to get personalized recommendations. 

Anonymous Insider

I have several serums/products I like and I have a morning and night routine.  I would like to avoid too much layering and since I work out and shower in the early afternoons I was thinking of adding an afternoon routine taking some products out of the am/pm and using in the afternoon instead.  Does it matter how long you keep a product on after it is absorbed?  I am washing the am routine off after my early afternoon workout. 

1,173 Replies
testing