cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Ask a Beauty Expert

Ask a Beauty ExpertAsk a Beauty Expert

If you know your way around the Beauty Insider Community, chances are you’ve seen a few of our Sephora Pro Artists sharing their looks on the Gallery and dropping their beauty routines in some of our favorite challenge threads.  @ElizaPRO@ShawnPRO, and @ProAmy are Makeup Artists with years of industry experience with a bounty of product knowledge to share. These beauty geniuses are subject matter experts and they give life-changing advice on how to build your basket and put your haul to good use!

We've created this thread to allow you all to better connect with our Sephora Pro Artists here in the BIC! This is a place for you to ask them ANYTHING beauty-related. Don't forget to bookmark this thread by clicking the bookmark icon at the top right of this thread. It will come in handy for those moments you wish you had a beauty expert on speed dial for questions like "is it a good idea to layer these skincare products?" or "what's the best brush for my foundation routine?"

Want to ask a question? Click the 'Reply' button below!

Re: Ask a Beauty Director

Hi I’m currently on the edge of my teens and I need some eye cream for deep hydration. Ant recommendations?? 

Hi i'm 20 and i've struggled with acne for a very long time, i've finally reached a point where I don't get much anymore but I still have those marks from when I did. What products are good to get rid of that? I have combination skin, my t-zone is oily. Also texture? I would like my skin to be softer, basically I want to get that glass skin look but i'm not sure what products won't break me out. My skin is sensitive.

hi yerimiese!

I know this is a late response but I was looking through older questions and thought I'd respond for you and anyone else reading this who may have the same concerns.

I'd first start off with a chemical peel. AHA/BHA. Dr. Dennis Gross has the Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta™ Advanced Liquid Peel 2 x 1 oz/ 30 mL and it is phenomenal. It's really effective in brightening dark spots and allowing the rest of your skin care to work more efficiently. Chemical peels also help your skin to speed up the healing process of hyperpigmentation.

Next I recommend a serum used day and night like The Ordinary The Ordinary Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA Hyperpigmentation Serum 2 oz/ 60 mL 

Don't forget sunscreen to help protect your skin from what could cause the spots to not go away. Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ 2.5 oz/ 73.9 mL  is really an incredible option.

I hope this all helps you or anyone else 🙂

Cheers!

Amy

Sephora PRO Artist

Depending on what products are already in your routine, @yerimiese, a vitamin C (ascorbic acid) could help with the discolorations and an AHA serum (either lactic or glycolic acid) could be helpful with the texture. 

I am looking for an equivalent to the Skin Laundry brightening serum with glycolic acid. I used to get the serum from my local Skin Laundry shop which has closed. I am mainly looking for a product that will help help fade acne marks/discoloration. I have semi-sensitive skin and cannot use products that have fragrance. 

I am 68 years old, have decent skin, some wrinkles and some pinkness that I like to even out. I had my foundation picked for me last year at Sephora in New York City. They chose Urban Decay Stay Naked in shade 41 NN. I apply it with a wet sponge over NO 7 primer.

I think it’s too heavy. I would like an more natural look. I think it emphasizes the wrinkles rather than disguising them. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Thank you.

hey so basically I have been using a lot of skincare products lately to help with pimples and oily skin, however I feel like all of them I try never have a long lasting effect on my skin. Recently I purchased a bunch of The Ordinary masks and serums and it helped for a bit but after a month or so its not working. Is there any skincare companies/products that I can use and trust it or a long term effect???? PLEASE HELP

@mikaajjaaa It sounds a bit like you may be switching products too frequently. For many treatment products, it takes weeks, if not months, to get their full effect and benefits. 

Hello! I used to be that boring makeup gal who found the brands/shades I liked and never deviated. But I’m becoming more adventurous and loving it! My newest obsession is creme/liquid eye shadows. Specifically Charlotte Tilburys creme pot in Bette and Chanel’s Ombré Premiere Laque in Vastness. What I’m not good at is figuring out the best way to wear them or what brushes to use. I feel naked just wearing color on my lid so usually at least highlight my brow bone or sometimes even add a darker shade in the crease. What is your advice on creating the perfect look with this medium and what tools should I use to accomplish this? Thank you so much for any insight!!

@Merrie1970 @I like using my fingers to apply the cream shadow over MAC prep and prime 24 hour eye base. Then I use a skin color eyeshadow to blend into my crease with MAC 217 or 224 brush. 

@Merrie1970   What you want to look for in a cream product brush is a brush with more dense bristles that tapers down along the edges for easy blending.  SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Cream Shadow Brush #28 SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Shadow Brush #14 

When adding intensity to the center of your shadow fingers are always the best tool.  

What is the best retinol oil/cream in the market?

help for 30s makeup - blush? bronzer? tinted lotion, etc

Looking for help with makeup suggestions. My Beauty Advisor Recommendations doesn't populate- always has an error.

I am mid-30s and use very light makeup. 

I currently use -

BareMinerals Complexion Rescue Vanilla (with a light moisturizer), NARS blush deep throat, Makeup Forever cover up in the lightest shade, Tarte Sea surfer curl mascara and Urban Decay eye primer potion anti aging.

I feel like my blush is too shimmery and I want to have more of a subtle look that doesn't accent the lines forming in my face. 

I'm not sure if the bare minerals cream is the right choice but I can't use powder anymore. it settles in my lines around my eyes.

I like natural, simple, and easy to wash off.

Thanks!

IMG_7953.JPG

@litttlechica000   A beautiful replacement for Nars Deepthroat which is more matte is Shiseido Minimalist Whipped Powder Blush Momoko It goes from a cream to a powder and looks quite natural on.  
Cream blushes are absolutely the most comfortable on drier textured skin.  If you want to still play with powders it’s recommended you stick with mattes as they won’t exasperate any fine lines.  

thank you! exactly what I was looking for in blush recommendation

Looking for a new skincare routine that won't completely break the bank. I had a lot of freckles when I was younger that have spread themselves out into age spots the older I get. Also, how in the world do we get these enlarging pores under control????

@karinkb   As we age we lose facial fat, produce less collagen and our skin becomes less elastic leading to larger looking pores.  You can combat this by eating a healthy diet full of green leafy vegetables, reducing sugar intake (sugar reduces collagen production) and by wearing sunscreen every day.  
Using a gentle daily exfoliant will help ensure your pores stay clear of debris which can also enlarge them.  
Topical ingredients which are great for pore réduction are

daytime

ahaS - remove dead skin cells so pores don’t clog and other ingredients can work more efficiently. 

Niacinamide - helps with your skin barrier, shrinks pores and fades spots

vitamin C - fades spots and helps combat sundamage.

Sunscreen-  this is your number one skincare weapon against aging.  

nightime

Retinol- increases cell turnover and improves skin texture.  
The INKEY List Niacinamide Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL Peter Thomas Roth PRO Strength Niacinamide Discoloration Treatment The INKEY List 15% Vitamin C and EGF Brightening Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL Youth To The People Kombucha + 11% AHA Exfoliation Toner with Lactic Acid Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Ferulic + Retinol Anti-Aging Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL Clarins UV Plus HP Sunscreen Multi-Protection Broad Spectrum SPF 40 Double Edition 

Anonymous Insider

I have alot of redness in my skin in my face. How can it cover it up? My skin is some what oily.

@Anonymous Are you looking for a foundation? If you want it to cover, I assume you want at least a medium coverage? I've had good luck with Lancome's Teint Idole. 

I am looking for a setting spray that will help keep my foundation on face and not rub off on my masks. What do you recommend? I have tried Smashbox and found it didn't work as well as I had hoped.

2 Replies
testing