cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Ask a Beauty Expert

Ask a Beauty ExpertAsk a Beauty Expert

If you know your way around the Beauty Insider Community, chances are you’ve seen a few of our Sephora Pro Artists sharing their looks on the Gallery and dropping their beauty routines in some of our favorite challenge threads.  @ElizaPRO@ShawnPRO, and @ProAmy are Makeup Artists with years of industry experience with a bounty of product knowledge to share. These beauty geniuses are subject matter experts and they give life-changing advice on how to build your basket and put your haul to good use!

We've created this thread to allow you all to better connect with our Sephora Pro Artists here in the BIC! This is a place for you to ask them ANYTHING beauty-related. Don't forget to bookmark this thread by clicking the bookmark icon at the top right of this thread. It will come in handy for those moments you wish you had a beauty expert on speed dial for questions like "is it a good idea to layer these skincare products?" or "what's the best brush for my foundation routine?"

Want to ask a question? Click the 'Reply' button below!

Re: Ask a Beauty Director

I am looking for a new moisturizer (and possibly toner?) routine as my previous brand phased out. I am in my 30s and have dry (?) skin (I live in the very dry prairies of Canada) which has been prone to breakouts my whole life. I'm so sick of my skin issues and would love a new no-fuss gentle routine that works! I currently use YTTP Superfood Antioxidant Cleanser and had tried the Fresh Soy Face Wash before that which I have both liked. Friends have recommended Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin Cream or Clarins Multi-Active Night Cream but I just don't know where to start/what to try. Help!

I would definitely try out the Dr. Jart, @Sensiblelime. It's well-loved among dry skin folks. 

Hi @Sensiblelime ! I would suggest Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow PHA + BHA Pore-Tight Toner 5.07 oz/ 150 mL which has acne fighting ingredients. I also love SEPHORA COLLECTION All Day Hydrator - Hydrate & Glow 1.69oz/ 50mL . It has Hyaluronic Acid, which draws moisture from the air to your skin 💧 It’s non comedogenic, so it won’t clog your pores. I hope this helps! Have a great day 😊

Anonymous Insider

I’d Like to use the Ordinary product line but I’m unsure of What goes with what and how to use them properly. I have fine lines near my eyes and laugh lines around my mouth. I also have large pores and am prone to breakouts . Not big bumps but small ones that usually appear around my face.

How to apply eye shadow to mono lids, I'm an Asian senior citizen, my skin undertone is in the Winter cool. I have dark brown hair and   Any products or colors you suggest is grateful. Thank you.

I am looking for a recommendation for a curling and volumizing mascara! My lashes have length but will never stay curled and have 0 volume. Thanks 

After my favorite Dr Brandt tinted CC cream was phased out I have been on the search for a new foundation, I have tried Hourglass Stick Foundation and Illusion , Dior Airflash and Clinique Beyond Perfection of which I like the Hourglass stick the best but in Arizona it is anything but good in the summer as it slides right off. Clinique is my next choice but it find that it sinks into my pores and wrinkles even when using a primer. I use a foundation brush and like a medium matte coverage, as you can see I am in need of expert advice 🙂 your advice is much appreciated. Thank you

I normally have a whole morning routine for makeup but since working from home (the last 6 months) I think I've worn makeup maybe 5-6 times. I'm 35 years old and my skin tone, complexion, type aren't what they were 10 years ago. Now that I'm not wearing make-up every day, I'm realizing how many wrinkles, dark circles, and breakouts around my chin I have. I am starting to feel like a teenager with acne again. I feel like my skin isn't getting as much attention now that I am not adding primer, lotion, foundation everyday...plus getting a really good cleanse at the end of the day. I don't want to break the bank on all kinds of crazy skin care products that I don't even know what they do or if they are even "right for me" but I am in serious need of a new COVID daily routine - minus all the fuss of make-up. Can you point me in the right direction or offer any advise?

What's your skin type, @AmberMcVicker?

Combination I think...but tend to be a little more on the oily side, especially in my T Zone.

@AmberMcVicker Given the issues you want to tackle, I'd build your base routine of cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen, and then add in a BHA/salicylic acid serum to help combat breakouts (or a spot treatment if it's only a couple pimples at a time) along with an eye cream for the dark circles (although if these are genetic, there's only so much improvement you can get without dermatological treatments), and either a retinoid or AHA acid exfoliator to help with the wrinkles (depending on your skin's tolerance and the severity of the wrinkles). If you haven't use chemical exfoliators though, it's best to start slowly by picking one and using twice a week to build up tolerance before using it more often or adding in an additional item. 

A few options for cleanser: philosophy Purity Made Simple, First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser 5 oz/ 150 mLYouth To The People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser 16 oz / 473 mL 

For moisturizer: Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet Mini 0.66 oz/ 20 mL, OLEHENRIKSEN Sheer Transformation® Perfecting Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL, Benton Snail Bee High Content Steam Cream

For eye cream: OLEHENRIKSEN Banana Bright Eye Crème 

For sunscreens, I've had good luck with Coola. 

For BHA: SEPHORA COLLECTION Clarifying Peel Pads 60 PadsCLINIQUE Acne Solutions™ Clinical Clearing Gel 1 oz/ 30 mL 

For AHA: Sunday Riley Good Genes All-In-One AHA Lactic Acid Treatment 1 oz/ 30 mL, First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads 28 Pads (retinoids don't agree with my skin, so I can't really help with a recommendation there)

@quspork Thank you so much for all the recommendations. I have been using my daily face primer just to add a little bit of color to my face, especially when I have a Zoom meeting when I need to show my face. I don't really want to go through the whole process of putting on a bunch of makeup for a 30 minute video call. Any recommendation for something I could use to add a little color to my face without having to go straight to a foundation or heavy makeup feeling? I am pretty much no-fuss these days. I curl my lashes and make sure my eyebrows don't look too shabby. Other than that I try to look as natural as possible to minimize the use of make-up.

You could consider a tinted moisturizer or BB cream, @AmberMcVicker. If you aren't going outside and depending on your skin, that could take the place of moisturizer, sunscreen, and foundation all in one. I'm a big fan of Dr. Jart BB creams, but there are lots of options for either product- Tarte, Nars, Bareminerals, etc. 

@AmberMcVicker My favourite brand for acne is Proactiv Proactiv Proactiv+ 3-Step System, 30 Day Introductory Size ! Have a great day 🤗

I'm looking for a pencil type eyeliner that I can use on my waterline that doesn't eventually end up on the inner and outer part of my eye after a few hours.  Any recommendations that truly work?

Hi scuubadive!

I was perusing questions that hadn't got an answer and wanted to reply. 

Our eyes are doing their jobs by watering up and moving the liner we apply to our waterline to the corners of our eyes. But there are two liners I can think of that stay put the best.

Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil Perversionand MAKEUP BY MARIO Master Pigment Pro™ Eyeliner Pencil Super Black 

Both equally worked for me as far as longevity goes. To prevent the liner from running too far outside of the waterline, I recommend applying an eye shadow primer directly to the eye line (all the way around the eye) before any liver is applied. Too Faced Shadow Insurance Eyeshadow Primer is perfect for this!

Hope this is helpful to you and anyone who reads this!

~Amy

Sephora PRO Artist

Anonymous Insider

Concealer

I am 56 and HAVE NEVER USED A FOUNDATION I currently use IT bye bye under eye concealer and like it very much but after applying underneath my eye area my checks are a different color and it looks clownish. I think I need to use a IT cosmetic 

foundation. Which foundation would I use for my age and do I use the same shade as the under eye concealer? I am very confused

Recently purchased New NARS concealer in caramel, used to help dark under eye area but it is same skin tone as rest of face and seems to be slightly to dark. Should I try another color?

I need help in finding a good serum. I am in my early twenties and have combo skin which can be sensitive to fragrances! In addition, I have some texture issues on my chin and in between my eyebrows. What would be best?!

@NBass For texture issues, I'd look at an exfoliating serum that contains either lactic or glycolic acid. (assuming you already use moisturizer and sunscreen daily)

Try Cetophil. Dove or Olay.

testing