cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Ask a Beauty Expert

Ask a Beauty ExpertAsk a Beauty Expert

If you know your way around the Beauty Insider Community, chances are you’ve seen a few of our Sephora Pro Artists sharing their looks on the Gallery and dropping their beauty routines in some of our favorite challenge threads.  @ElizaPRO@ShawnPRO, and @ProAmy are Makeup Artists with years of industry experience with a bounty of product knowledge to share. These beauty geniuses are subject matter experts and they give life-changing advice on how to build your basket and put your haul to good use!

We've created this thread to allow you all to better connect with our Sephora Pro Artists here in the BIC! This is a place for you to ask them ANYTHING beauty-related. Don't forget to bookmark this thread by clicking the bookmark icon at the top right of this thread. It will come in handy for those moments you wish you had a beauty expert on speed dial for questions like "is it a good idea to layer these skincare products?" or "what's the best brush for my foundation routine?"

Want to ask a question? Click the 'Reply' button below!

Anonymous Insider

Re: Ask a Beauty Director

how do I find out my skintone iq number? I am pale, with a pinkish tone to my skin (i guess cause my dad is a red head) also I am pretty sure I qualify as having to use products for cool undertones but not positive on that either and I always buy full coverage makeup due to blemishes and breakouts.. I am 43 years old and have combination skin too.... thank you so much for your help!

@Anonymous Hi! Color iQ matches are traditonally done in store but you can use this link to reverse search against one of your existing matches.

https://www.sephora.com/beauty/foundation-shade-finder

Hello! I just started wearing lipgloss regularly and I was wondering how to keep my lips hydrated and moisturized? I put lip balm on them before applying my lip gloss, but my lips still end up a bit tight after a while. It's nothing too uncomfortable, but I still want to know if there's anything else I could be doing or if it's just my lip gloss brand. I use essence wet look lip gloss by the way.

@AmityBlight Don't just put lip balm on before lip color application!  Thats like me flossing way more right before my next dentist appointment haha.

Wear lip moisturizer as often as you wear skincare or spf and especially while you're sleeping, possibly in the form of a mask. Tatcha The Kissu Lip Mask Original 

Also drink lots of water and scrub your lips regularly. Kopari Coconut Lip Scrubby 

What complexion products (primer, foundation, concealer) are best for oily skin in 80%+ humidity?  What products will help foundation and concealer stay on all day?

Does Sephora still offer a monthly beauty box subscription? I can't seem to find it on your website. Thank you!

@Blondecurlyhair They canceled Play subscription boxes months ago.  They now have Sephora Favorites Sephora Favorites Hello! Holy-Grail Greats that is not subscription

@SportyGirly125 Thanks for the information.  I wasn't really sure about how Sephora Favorites worked.

💥bamm! thank you for your quick response.

sorry to hear the monthly subscription box is no more. 

happy friday!💮

@TeamBIC 

I am looking for a finish product to the end of my skin care routine in the mornings. Currently I’m using the Rodan and Fields oil control lotion and it works great but not a good fit for me it seems dry my skin out throughout the day leaving me with flakey dry skin. But on the downside when I do not use it my face seems to look very shinny and oily. I have oily to combination teen skin and I was hoping you guys would have some great recommendations. Thank you team!

smashbox oil control primer is my HG and I have very dry...

smashbox oil control primer is my HG and I have very dry skin.

Hi Team BIC!

I am in DESPERATE need of something for the dark circles under my eyes. I've tried several coloured concealers but it ends up looking very cakey. I was hoping to find a lotion or serum that I could use at night (or day under primer, foundation, etc.) that would gradually make them less apparent. Can you recommend anything like that?

Here's examples of my dark under eye circles:

eyes1.jpg
eyes2.jpg 

HELP!!!????!!!

@SharoanyPony its a little difficult through photos to really diagnose but i can definitely help. first skincare , yes there are products to help . try using OLEHENRIKSEN Banana Bright Eye Crème , this creme is designed to help alleviate eye concerns plus it has a slight color correction tint to help neutralize darkness, so it will help even without any makeup. now at night try using Glow Recipe Avocado Fine Line Eye Cream with Retinol 0.5 oz/ 15 mL this is a leave on sleeping eye mask that contains retinol suited for eye area use, retinol will help return that delicate skin around the eye to a more youthful look. now for makeup i highly recommend checking out a video i did on sephoras youtube channel a while back. it was in response to getting similar questions all the time and i wanted to help. 

here is a link 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZxSJT70cKU&t=3s

now im not great at technology so if that link doesn't work just go to youtube and search ' Sephora Correct Conceal Brighten' 

P.S. I am 40 years old & I don't know my colour IQ but I use Maybelline BB Cream 110 (Light Medium) Thank you!!! 😸

I'm super interested in trying out the Shani Darden Skin Care Retinol Reform® Treatment Serum 1 oz / 30 mL after watching @DavidBD talk about it on the Sephora IGTV.  I've only used a dermatologist prescribed retinol cream with 0.025% retinol for acne spot treatment in the past and I'm not sure if Shani will be too strong even though I don't have sensitive skin.

For context, I'm 25 with oily skin, acne (mostly hormonal), hyperpigmentation from acne, sun spots, large pores and clogged pores, blackheads, and closed comedones.

Other than AHA's what should I not use this product with?

These are the products I'm using right now that I'm not sure will be ok to use with the Shani's Retinol cream:

Day Products:

Night Products:

@RAWRitsRED Wow!  Amazing products you are using for skin care

@RAWRitsRED im so happy you got to catch my IG Live !! so i would say you don't have to worry about sensitivity with the Shani Darden Skin Care Retinol Reform® Treatment Serum 1 oz / 30 mL , she was very smart in formulating this serum with an encapsulated retinol so it is very gentle acting on skin, plus she added some lactic acid in there and lactic acid is a very slow acting exfoliant so overall the 2 combined create a super gentle yet very effective serum. now i do recommend to start by using it one night only for the first week , then go to 2 nights spread out for the second week, this will allow your skin to avoid reacting which can happen to anyone using any new active ingredients. but i think you will end up loving that serum!!

Hello, 

I have purchased the Sephora Retractable Brow Pencil in color #05, Neutral Gray Brown.  I came to the site tonight to purchase more, and apparently the color does not exist any more, and # 5 is a different color.

Please, can you tell me which color is closest to the original Neutral Gray Brown?  Btw, I'm heartbroken because this was the best, and only, brow pencil that perfectly matched my coloring.  

Thanks very much!

I love the finish and coverage of the Fenty Filt'r Pro Matte foundation, but find that it settles into the pores on my nose. This is true with or without primer (Smashbox Vitamin C or Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen as a primer) and when I've applied with a beauty blender or my fingers. Any suggestions for ways to better apply this foundation or recommendations for an alternative foundation? 

@ before switching foundations it sound like you need to try to find the right primer. i recommend MAKE UP FOR EVER Step 1 Skin Equalizer Primers - Texture & Redness Correcting Smoothing Primer – For large pores and fine lines this primer is specifically designed to create a smooth skin base so foundations don't settle in lines or pores.

I'm looking for some expert advice when it comes to AHA/BHA masks! I'm in my late 20s and have oily/combination skin which in in recent years has skewed towards being acneic, dehydrated and somewhat reactive after bouts of over-exfoliation. After being super gentle with my skin for several months now - cleansing with Province Apothecary's oil cleanser, spritzing with their toner, and following up with The Blue Cocoon (my skin loves blue tansy) I'm feeling like it's time to carefully incorporate an exfoliant again once or twice a week. I have May Lindstom's the clean dirt, which is great for when I really need to renew, but because it lacks BHA I feel like it doesn't cover my bases. In the past I've used both #Herbivore's #BlueTansy mask, and the #TataHarper resurfacing mask and though I like both, I only want to go with one at a time -- given their lack of preservatives I'd rather not have them sitting on a bathroom shelf for 6 months. If anyone can give me a bit of guidance as to which I should purchase this time given the rest of my routine it would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much!!!

Lauren

testing