Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Trans is Beautiful

Hi new here, need help with makeup ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€โšง๏ธ

Hello everyone my name is Brooke, live in the Phoenix /Mesa Arizona area and I am desperately seeking replacement for my expired makeup that I bought off Amazon years ago. I am not good with makeup at all was going to buy again on Amazon but there's so many types, shades, colors, brands..etc And I want to make sure I get the right stuff for my face this time... I'm super afraid to go in in person because I'm still closeted over 30 years live a double life. Any help appreciated anybody know of any local stores with someone there that has experience helping somebody like me ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€โšง๏ธ๐ŸŒˆ thanks so much sorry for the long post but this is a 2023 goal to go out and do this ๐Ÿ˜Š

Re: Hi new here, need help with makeup ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€โšง๏ธ

I don't know your area, some colorado malls are very trans-friendly.

FlatIrons Mall near Denver has a wonderful Sephora and a number of other stores.

The Charlotte-Russe store is great for shopping on a budget!

I wish you luck in your journey

Love

Sissy

Hi @Brooke1973! I saw you posted both here and in Makeup Is Life (Iโ€™m somewhat active there too) but since this is trans specific and others might benefit, I thought it would be best to reply here.

I was in your shoes not too long ago. I realized that the pandemic has actually made it easier to shop around incognito because wearing a face mask is pretty normal these days, even if many areas no longer require it. And being in a big city, itโ€™s pretty easy to shop around in quieter parts of town where youโ€™re less likely to run into a familiar face. As for shopping for foundation, itโ€™s REALLY difficult to shop online. What looks like a good shade on the screen can look very different once itโ€™s on the skin.

I started out by just trying things out on my wrist and finding a shade that matched best. It worked to some degree, but my face and wrist arenโ€™t quite the same shade, so my first few tries werenโ€™t quite right and I looked too pale. I also didnโ€™t realize there were different formulations for different skin types and I picked ones that made me look and feel dry.

I eventually went and sat down with a makeup artist. I too was really nervous the first time, so I booked the first appoint I could get while the mall was still pretty quiet and asked to be seated in a section that wasnโ€™t front and centre in the store. I posted my experience here if you want to read through and get an idea of what to expect. https://community.sephora.com/t5/Trans-is-Beautiful/My-Sephora-Makeup-Service-Experience/td-p/628959...

You donโ€™t have to go through an entire makeover if youโ€™re just after a few products to replace what you currently have. Any Sephora employee can help you shade match foundation pretty quickly. It takes only a few minutes for them to try things out and find the best match. If you want something that just works and isnโ€™t going to break the bank, check SEPHORA COLLECTION Best Skin Ever Liquid Foundation.

If youโ€™re not comfortable with sitting down with a makeup artist yet, see a Sephora employee and ask for a ColourIQ assessment. They basically take a camera to scan your skin and identify your base colour/undertones. They can link it to your Sephora account and the app will start suggesting the shades that will best match you for most brands. Itโ€™s by no means a perfect system, but it will get you pretty close. I would recommend doing it once in the summer and once in the winter as your shade will change when it tans in the sun. I did this once as my male self and they didnโ€™t bat an eye, just super friendly and helpful staff. Once this is done, you can easily shop from home. 
I hope this helps! If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Iโ€™m happy to share my experiences, limited as they may be. 

Sometimes if you go to the brand websites theyโ€™ll have a shade match quiz like Ilmakiage does. I really like ilia makeup and when I went to their site, I was able to do the โ€œquizโ€ and get my shade recommendation. Then if you want to try a different brand, go the Sephora website/app, select the makeup brand - Milk Makeup and Kosas are clean brands with wide shade ranges - select a foundation/concealer then select โ€˜shade finderโ€™ and youโ€™ll get a prompt that asks what your current makeup brand is and what shade use then theyโ€™ll suggest something similar. Itโ€™s a lot of steps but it could be helpful.

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing