cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

New BeautyTalk Is Confusing: Hints, Tips, Information

New BeautyTalk Is Confusing: Hints, Tips, Information

This new BeautyTalk is shocking. With BeautyTalk being a {many, many times} daily landing page for loads of us, we'll need to figure everything out- and what better way than together?!

czxzxZX.jpg

Anything you figure out as far as navigating this new platform, please share. 

Update 7/12/17 8:33 EST:

I sat down, and read every reply posted that is available for me to read. It's been quite a day! If you have any tips, please PM me, and I'll add them here.

I wrote down some of us posted, today:

Manage notifications- click on the bell at the top right of the screen. A bar will fall down, and there will be a grey gear. Click the gear.  This will bring you to 'Settings'. Click on 'Subscriptions and Notifications'. Click on 'Notification Settings'. Edit as you wish.

BT friends lost? Privacy settings- click the bell. Click the gear. Click 'Preferences'. Select 'All' for 'Show private information in profile to'. Beneath that, you may also choose to show your email address to 'No one', 'Anyone', 'All', or 'Friends.

Follow someone- one of you wrote to click on the person's profile you wish to follow. Click to follow. It's not working for me... yet, it seems to have worked for some of us... UPDATE 7/12/17 8:49 EST I was able to follow @greeneyedgirl107, though I reach a blank page if U attempt to follow @veronika23. Thus, this option may be selectively functioning at current.

Hashtagging- hashtagging products and words creates threads based around those tags making it easier to find similar threads.

Re: New BeautyTalk Is Confusing: Hints, Tips, Information

So, how is everyone feeling about this new board so far? I haven't been that active, but I have been trying to be more so than I have been in the past year. That being said, I really dislike the new layout STILL. It's not intuitive, the groups are redundant, there's a lot of dead space, navigating is not ideal. I know we're not going to get the answers to these, but it does make me wonder WHO DESIGNED THIS? I work in digital creative, and trust me, this would have never flown in company as a redesign due to lack of user experience. Anyways. Anyone actually feel comfortable the layout yet? Content with any of the changes?

@kbmatthews I'm sure lots of effort went into this redesign, yet it does feel perfunctory to me. It's more challenging to navigate on mobile, though I'm glad I can upload larger mb photos, lol. I do hope they'll adapt it. I feel that much could be streamlined. What would you like to see?

I just wanted to repost my reply to @Samtian over here for anyone else not able to resize their avatar photos (it is super unintuitive because of the 'edit' button on your cover and profile pics on your profile page).
Hot tip for avatar resizing! If you do it this way, you can adjust the image:
Click the bell and go to the settings gear (bottom left). In setting, go to 'Avatars' and upload there. If you do it through the 'edit' button on your actual profile, you aren't able to resize.

Hopefully helpful photos because I know this has been a problem for many! 
Step1.JPGstep2.JPGYay.JPG

i miss being able to read through conversations and them making sense.  Now I have to hop around and hope I'm connecting the commentary on correct order.  

And is it just me or are Groups really annoying?  I just feel like before, the most relèvent conversations would naturally gravitate to the top of the feed.  I didn't have to enter door number three and get lost trying to find my way to something interesting. 

Eggghhh I don't think I can get used to the layout. It's just too much work. The posts are out of order, I can't easily find the threads I normally view. 

IA, the new interface is totally unintuitive. The old one wasn't very modern but it was narrowly more user friendly than what we have now. I have no interest in participating in discussion on such a headache inducing forum! I will remain a rookie, I think 🙂 

Can we ask as to why this new board was implemented ??

im sorry but I feel it was really disreepecful to just dump this board onto us and expect us to be like "oh hey yeah thanks for removing my status and figure out this mess".

Sephora these types of move offend and frustrate your current loyal fans , not that you need my $1000 + a year personally but I would suggest you try to do things like be more transparent.

also why do we have this "followers" bs?

im sorry but I have Instagram and Twitter for that , not some stupid forum to show how popular or not I am.

"Can we ask as to why this new board was implemented ??"

Sure, we can ask. The better question at this point seems to be "will we ever get a response?". They dumped this mess on us last Wednesday and haven't been heard from since...this whole fiasco would have been a lot more palatable if we had some guidance and updates instead of being left to fend for ourselves.

I used to wander the board frequently and find all sorts of new stuff. Now I simply seek out my top favorite threads, and occasionally a new thread on the first page of the Conversation feed catches my eye. 

I guess we should just consider this an opportunity to catch up on real life stuff instead of hanging out online all day.

😤

@RGbrown exactly what I've been doing lol

RGbrown wrote:

"Can we ask as to why this new board was implemented ??"

Sure, we can ask. The better question at this point seems to be "will we ever get a response?". They dumped this mess on us last Wednesday and haven't been heard from since...this whole fiasco would have been a lot more palatable if we had some guidance and updates instead of being left to fend for ourselves.

I used to wander the board frequently and find all sorts of new stuff. Now I simply seek out my top favorite threads, and occasionally a new thread on the first page of the Conversation feed catches my eye. 

I guess we should just consider this an opportunity to catch up on real life stuff instead of hanging out online all day.

😤

@themusefactory  I hope you haven't abandoned us for good, girl!   We've only just met!  

pleasedontgo.jpg

I'm still feeling frustrated trying to navigate the New BT, but hopeful that things will be fixed shortly since it is a beta version of the site. 

@phantompenguinx Thanks for mentioning this. This was driving me nuts, because I couldn't figure out why it kept defaulting to old to new regardless of how I had it sorted. Now I need to remember to be sure I am logged in.

@phantompenguinx Wow- that makes sense! So glad you mentioned this.

Anonymous Insider

I feel a little silly asking this, but does anyone have an image of where to click to make the posts appear from newest to oldest? I read a couple people say there's a button on the right but I just can't seem to find it. Thank you 🙂 

FYI in case this is an issue for anyone else, but I can't sort threads at all. When I click on the button, it jumps to the top of the page but nothing else happens.
Anonymous Insider

Thank you @SalBing and @KatieJiang !!!

I've found that the "Sort By:" only appears when I'm logged into BT. When the page times out or if I haven't actively logged in yet, it doesn't show up for me...which is not very good UX because the default is Old to New, but I like the New to Old so it literally keeps going back and forth as my session times out

@Anonymous  look for 'Sort By:' in the thread.  It is at the end of the original posting on the right.  if you click on the arrow, you can choose the option

a.png

@Anonymous  Here you go!

Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 1.36.58 PM.png

I wish that the name of the person who created a thread was still displayed next to the thread title on the main feed. Currently it only shows the name of who is replying to the thread.

I have a question - what is the point of following others and why can you not see who is following you? I'm just not sure what this function is for - TBH it kinda makes me feel like we're in high school again and it's a popularity contest to see who can get the most followers (I hated high school for this reason bleh). IDK this is probably steam from this current situation being a hot mess. I also don't like the fact that it feels like we were just "dumped" into this new board with really no guidance and had to rely on one another to figure all this mess out (thanks to everyone that helped  - you made life easier 🙂 ). At this point I'm just annoyed and sad. Also I feel like when we were told there would be more transparency about how to move up in rank that this has not been addressed. I'm not throwing shade at any of the mods as I'm sure this is a HUGE undertaking - I just feel like maybe this should have been held off a bit and launched when better organized.

Photos40
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 10.48.53 PM.png
  • err9r.JPG
  • tumblr_inline_oq6nyeieuT1r7t0r6_540.jpg
  • IMG_2855.JPG
  • czxzxZX.jpg
  • untitled.png
  • czxzxZX.jpg
  • czxzxZX.jpg
  • czxzxZX.jpg
  • czxzxZX.jpg
  • tumblr_nrnoo03aWU1sgx25jo1_400.gif