Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life

Make up recycling program?

Don't you guys think Sephora should have a recycling program, kinda like Mac? bring in a certain amount of containers and get a full size lipstick free or even base the free item depending how much containers they bring it or the brands.

Re: Make up recycling program?

@Lightskinqueen wrote:
Don't you guys think Sephora should have a recycling program, kinda like Mac? bring in a certain amount of containers and get a full size lipstick free or even base the free item depending how much containers they bring it or the brand.

The well loved but empty containers are something that it makes me cringe to consider throwing out. In thinking about it maybe if you recycle 5 items from a specific brand you can get something from that line. For example 5 Marc Jacobs containers could get you a free eye marker or 5 or 6 Kat Von D containers gets you a free studded kiss lipstick. Something along those lines would be incentive to hold on to the empty containers for returning to Sephora as opposed to ending up in a landfill.

@Lightskinqueen wrote:
Don't you guys think Sephora should have a recycling program, kinda like Mac? bring in a certain amount of containers and get a full size lipstick free or even base the free item depending how much containers they bring it or the brands.

@Lightskinqueen We apprecaite this feedback. I will forward this feedback to the appropriate Team for review and consideration. Thank you!

Best,

Rebecca 

The Marketing Team?

Anonymous Insider

Would love to see Sephora start a recycling program! Just because so many of their containers go to the landfill. 😞

Bareminerals just started a recycling program as well. I'm not familiar with their points system or what 5 points is worth, but it's another option if you have one of their stores nearby!Screenshot_20180919-145311.png

Screenshot_20180919-145400.png

I love this idea so much! I also agree with some of the r...

I love this idea so much! I also agree with some of the responses that maybe they can give us some points in exchange? A good topic to bring up to them.

@Lightskinqueen @greeneyedgirl107 I know MAC isn't the only one to recycle. At L'Occitane you can bring any makeup/skincare brand empty to their store to get 10% off a L'Occitane purchase.  At Kiehl's, if you bring 10 full size empties they will give you a free travel product of your choice.  At Origins they will recycle any empty beauty product(s) you have.

Good to know @SportyGirly125

Image result for hearts gif

@Lightskinqueen I would love to see Sephora have something like this, especially in light of their promotion of "clean" products.  I recycle a lot, but my town recently announced that it will be decreasing what can be recycled (no glass, no plastic tops, and only plastics 1-2).  SO, if Sephora offered recycling I would love it because I think it would allow me to recycle more given that I am now becoming limited.

I think it kinda comes part and parcel with the territory - like how you can recycle light bulbs and batteries at Home Depot.

I think that's an awesome Idea! Mac's program is great because they also give a full sized lipstick, lipgloss or eyeshadow. I hope Sephora has a recycling program soon! That would be amazing for the planet and for the customers!

I had no idea MAC did this @RiniVe!  

@greeneyedgirl107 they've been doing it for years!! You b...

@Anonymous7 they've been doing it for years!! You bring in 6 empty mac containers like lipsticks and powder compacts and you can choose either a full size lipstick, lipgloss or eyeshadow. My sister has been doing it for years. I think it's awesome! 🙂

Re: @greeneyedgirl107 they've been doing it for years!! You b...

@RiniVe Now that my Ulta is getting MAC, I hope to start falling in love with the brand and buying things.  🙂

This is a great idea. Pure + Simple gives you a dollar for every empty you bring back. I think giving people points for returning Sephora empties to be recycled would be a great option and relatively easy to implement.

I’d take advantage of a Sephora recycling program even if they didn’t offer me anything in return. But offering points for a certain number of Sephora branded empties would be a nice incentive. 🙂 

I keep saying Sephora’s missing out on some customer appreciation and loyalty opportunities by not doing more with their own branded product line. There may be contractual restrictions with other brands, but Sephora could do more with their own brand. 

FYI, Origins (in the US and Canada) still accepts cosmetics empties from any brand as part of their recycling program. You don’t get any discounts or free product in return, but it’s nice to have someone willing to take all those empties off your hands. I plan to give Origins a bunch of empty lipstick tubes when I’m done decluttering. 

@WinglessOne  This is great to know!! I just searched up Origins locations in Canada and the only one near me is Pearson airport (prbly a duty free store). Now I know where to dispose of my empties! I'll call ahead of time ofc, but thanks for the info!!

I couldnt agree more! I was shocked to find out urban decay doesnt recycle their containers especially seeing how popular their eye pallets are. 

I think points would be the most feasible incentive for them to use. Its a great idea though, cosmetics and skin care items contain chemicals that can be harmful to the environment, and many times the plastic can be recycled. Not only should Sephora look into this but their parent company. They can easily pull up a years worth of beauty information so they could have someone look up and verify they were sold at Sephora, or people could just take a pic of their receipt and save it, so Sephora makes an effort and so does the customer.

OoOo this is a great idea! Points would be a good incentive.

Love this! I'm curious to know what else everyone would be interested in receiving for empty containers. Would you be interested in Beauty Insider Points? Or discounts? How would Sephora differinciate if the product was purchased at Sephora vs other retailers who also carry the product?
Conversation Stats
Photos2
  • Screenshot_20180919-145311.png
  • Screenshot_20180919-145400.png
testing