Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Introducing me to the makeup world!

Hello everyone! So I just got out of basic training and along with a better personality and some gained confidence, I wanted to present myself better. Since I’ve never put makeup on myself before I been watching videos for hours trying to take notes and I’m still super lost and confused about where to start. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with basically a shopping list of things to start with? I have sensitive and combination oily skin. Im more looking for products that are lightweight, that help stay put, but also have a little coverage as well. I dont know where to start, everything from brushes and tools like eyelash curlers to foundation, highlighter, mascara, primer, concealer and like whatever else you need. I wanted to start off with one palette or whatever that could work with a soft everyday look but also give a little glam look if i need it to. These pictures are basically the spectrum I’m looking for as far as simple and glam looks, I didn’t know what palettes or brands/specific products to go for that would be able to get the spectrum of looks I want and work with my skin and my specific wants/needs. And the last one is me. I would really appreciate the ideas! Thank you!

Re: Introducing me to the makeup world!

I'd start off with some neutral basics. Sephora sometimes has kits for certain brands so that you can get several products at the same time, often smaller in size so you don't have to fully commit.

I'm assuming you're East Asian from your photos - I will say that for certain products, especially eye products, I have better luck with E Asian brands and find even cheaper drugstore brands perform better for me than Western ones.

To achieve the looks below, I would start off with the following:

• eyebrow product (you can start off with a simple pencil to fill in brows - I think this is a must for E Asians because our brows tend to be sparse)
  • a neutral eyeshadow palette with some matte tones + eyeshadow brush (ideally you have at least two types, a fluffy one for applying colour and blending and a precise one for lining - eyeshadow looks are the hardest to apply with just fingers, I can't see how one could line the eyes)
  • eyelash curler (Shiseido is a classic - E Asians tend to have straight eyelashes so I'd def invest in this tool)
  • foundation, bb/cc cream, tinted moisturizer (unless you don't feel the need to even out your skintone! Finding the right foundation for your skin and lifestyle requires patience and experimentation, ideally you go into a store and get samples to test)
  • neutral lip product (I love BITE)
  • blush optional

With this to start you off, you could keep things low key and polished or build up to a more glam smoky look.

Re: Introducing me to the makeup world!

One important thing is mascara! My fav is Rollerlash mascara from Benefit. It lasts forever, lifts and separates the lashes, and just works amazingly for me. I would also recommend a brush kit that has a variety of things, as those typically have better value and allow for experimentation.

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
Photos3
testing