Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

where in my routine should i use benzoyl peroxide + advice on my routine?

so i’m making a new routine after a few years of being on a clinique only binge (three step plus prescribed benzoyl peroxide), and am looking to keep using benzoyl peroxide just once a day. whereabouts in my new routine should i be applying? plus any general input on my routine is appreciated!

background: extremely oily skin w acne and rosacea, caucasian, age 21, canadian

AM:

cleanse w clarisonic mia 2 and clinique oily skin liquid soap

apply the ordinary niacinamide/zinc

apply clinique dramatically different gel

PM:

cleanse w clarisonic mia 2 and clinique oily skin liquid soap

apply glossier solution

apply the ordinary niacinamide/zinc

apply the ordinary moisturising factors/ha

Re: where in my routine should i use benzoyl peroxide + advice on my routine?

@sphp My experience with Clinique made me more oily. Switched to philosophy purity and my skin rebalanced greatly. 

I would not use the Clarisonic 2x a day, most skin doesn't need all that exfoliation. It may be contributing to the excess oil, since it's not being able to balance.

I wasn't using mine daily, rather every so often. You're skin barrier is compromised with rosacea, gentler the better.

Which brush are you using?

What form of BP is it? Wash, leave on, cream, moisturizer etc. Product name helpful.

A standalone spf daily you need to add. BP can cause sun sensitivity. The sun can be a rosacea trigger. The comprised skin barrier needs protected.

@sphp

The normal rule of thumb is thinnest to thickest in terms of consistency, but...benzoyl peroxide is the outlier here. It works best when applied as your first step after cleansing/toning, and then giving it a minute or two to sink in. Once it's dry, you can move on to the rest of your routine. 

As for general feedback, the Clinique Oily Skin soap is a bit harsh. It's not the worst on the market, but I might recommend finding something a little gentler. The more you dry your skin out, the worse the oil becomes, and the more the acne comes back. FAB cleanser, Philosophy Purity, Fresh Soy Cleanser to name a very few...there are tons of options here. Avoiding oily/acne formulas is actually the best thing an oily, acne-prone person can do.

For oily skin, I'd also recommend adding a facial oil...oily skin tends to be dehydrated (which your cleanser is likely exacerbating) and produces more oil to compensate for the dryness. Adding oil to your routine can really help balance it out. 2-3 drops mixed with your facial moisturizer can do wonders (it did for me).

Kudos for dropping the Clinique toner though...it's high in drying alcohol and that wasn't helping you skin one bit. Definitely watch for alcohol (the bad ones...there are good ones too, which makes it confusing) in anything else you decide to add to your routine.  

I second the advice in this post! Ditch the foaming/soapy cleansers and try gentler cream ones.

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing