Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

sunday riley routine / general advice?!

hello!! i've always been into skincare, but have recently leveled up and love the support & dialogue in these discussions..hoping to learn something here!!  

i'd love advice on my current routine - feel like i could accidentally be causing long-term damage with the ingredient combination / if i should integrate additional products in or take out any of these....

current day routine: double cleanse with Tatcha The Camellia Oil 2-in-1 Makeup Remover & Cleanser 5.1 oz/ 150 mL and Drunk Elephant Beste™ No. 9 Jelly Cleanser 5 oz/ 150 mLuse p50 1970 if things are really dire but usually SON & PARK - Beauty Water + glossier solution. Sunday Riley Good Genes All-In-One AHA Lactic Acid Treatment 1.7 oz / 50 ml (which is a DREAM of a product) and then SUNDAY RILEY - Tidal Brightening Enzyme Water Cream.

i just received Sunday Riley C.E.O. 15% Vitamin C Brightening Serum 1 oz/ 30 mLin a subscription box - where's the best place to add it in? 

current night routine: double cleanse with the above, son & park beauty water, glossier solution, Sunday Riley A+ High-Dose Retinol Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL then Sunday Riley Luna Sleeping Retinoid Night Oil 1.18 oz/ 35 mL; tidal water; and then just integrated sunday riley CEO vitamin C oil (got an early sample in the allure beauty box) and then squalane oil from the ordinary over everything 

in rotation, depending on what skin wants: Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial™ AHA + BHA Mask 1.69 oz/ 50 mLSUMMER FRIDAYS - Jet Lag Mask (feel like it could be drying me out tbh) DR. JART+ - Lover Rubber Masksand the  hanacure mask (one of the weirdest experiences of my life but so incredible for skin) 

+ LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask Intense Hydration with Vitamin C Original

THANK YOU! 

Re: sunday riley routine / general advice?!

AHAs, like lactic acid in your Good Genes, and retinol increases photosensitivity, so sunscreen is very important!

Seems like you already have a lot of exfoliating products in your daily routine (Good Genes, Tidal Brightening Enzyme Water cream, retinol serum, retinol oil). If your skin is feeling irritated, definitely cut back on those. Some products are repetitive too, like Good Genes vs Tidal Cream or retinol serum vs retinol oil, in terms of active ingredients. 

And I also agree with @quspork  that double cleansing in the morning isn't necessary...unless you wear sunscreen or makeup to bed?

@JKFNYC  That's A LOT of exfolation that you're using currently. Most people don't need daily exfolation, so I'd be cautious about over-exfoliation. You don't mention your skin type or specific concerns, but a few general comments...

1. Most people don't need to double cleanse in the morning. Oil cleansers are really for removing sunscreen and makeup, so generally just used at night.

2. Sunday Riley's Good Genes can make your skin over-sensitive to sun damage. I'd highly recommend using that at night instead of in the a.m.

3. Vitamin C however is great for morning routines! So, you could incorporate the C serum there.

4. You don't mention sunscreen, unless I missed it  Everyone should use sunscreen, but *especially* when using retinols and acids, it becomes so important to help prevent skin damage.

5. Your p.m. routine says you're using 2 retinol products? That's so much... I would think about rotating those rather than using them every night.

Again, knowing your skin type and concerns can help with suggestions, but I hope this helps and bit! 💜

and you're right about the double cleansing but i honestly really love the smell of the tatcha oil cleanser and how it feels so view it as a small treat in the morning hahahhaah 

thank you - so so appreciated! my skin type is combination/veers slightly oily and is SUPER sensitive to weather changes (or maybe it's just because i grew up in san francisco and the east coast still shocks me..). i think of skincare / makeup as two different steps and put on sunscreen pre-makeup but you're so right, especially with all the retinol..i saw on sunday riley's instagram that they recommended layering the two products (A+ and luna) but it seems a little extreme. it sounds kind of dumb but i've always had ~decent skin but started to see tiny wrinkles (which i am way too young to have) but now have gotten really into skincare as a hobby and love the ritualistic aspect of it and it's fun to experiment - so my concerns are mostly keeping it hydrated and plump and healthy and to age gracefully. 

my problem is that my skin feels great right now and is responding really well to all these products but i don't want to be causing long-term damage accidentally. 

again, thank you SO much for the response, so helpful, you're amazing. 

You stated that you're worried about wrinkles?

Genetics and environment aside, the important "anti-aging" products are sunscreen, retinoids (also great for combating acne), and moisturizing. Tretinoin has been the most-studied and effective retinoid; however, prescription is required. The ones that are OTC or used in skincare products are more gentle.

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing