Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

skin care

what’s an good skin care routine that works for oily skin? 

Re: skin care

@lovemakeup2020 people have already given some great advice the non stripping cleanser is important! I also recommend Youth To The People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser it's been very good on my oily tzone without stripping the dryer areas of my face. And The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum  is great for oil control and it also helps with pore size ! You may find using niacinamide products are drying when mixed with sacylic acid. I'm a huge fan of Clinique's acne toner. I would use the niacinamin and zinc products in the am and the acne toner with sacylic acid in the pm. Use a more gentle balancing toner with the niacimine and zinc toner like Kiehl's Since 1851 Calendula Herbal Extract Alcohol Free Toner. and again I agree look for an oil free gel moisturizer. My favourite gel moisturizers I have tried are CLINIQUE Moisture Surge™ 100H Auto-Replenishing Hydrator Moisturizer and belif The True Cream Moisturizing Bomb Limited Edition 3.38 oz/ 100 mL and IT Cosmetics Confidence in a Gel Lotion 2.5 oz/ 75 mL ! I would also use a mask to decongest pores from built up oil 2x a week. GLAMGLOW SUPERMUD� Charcoal Instant Treatment Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 g is my favourite mask for decongesting pores! Good luck 

Dermatologically/Dermatologist-Tested: really means nothing, you don't even know if the derm approved/liked it or not, you only know that they did test it.

Non-Comedogenic vs. Comedogenic: non-comedogenic means that something will not clog your pores, and comedogenic means it will/can. Blackheads are actually called comedones, and since blackheads are just clogged pores and the lack of oxygen turns them black, that's why it's called comedogenic.

"Clean/Natural/Chemical-Free": these terms piss me off when I see them bc they all mean absolutely nothing. They're BS. If you'd like to know more, see my tiktok account (@selfcaresensational) or watch Cassandra Bankson (not me!), a medical esthetician and nutritionist on YouTube. She is very educational. Bottom line is everything is a chemical and the dose decides the poison with everything on Earth. These terms also fear-monger people to the max, especially pregnant women. 😨

Can't think of a bunch new terms rn, please comment your own if you'd like! 😄 

for your serum(s), look for one's with Niacinamide or Salicylic Acid to help with pore appearance, acne, and oil control. Put all your serums on before your moisturizer. The moisturizer locks all of the other products into your skin to make sure they work well and penetrate. My last reply will be some skin terms and scams to look out for! 🙂

for moisturizer, try to pick ones that are lightweight and more on the thin side, that's what most people with oily skin prefer, while dry-skinned folks will likely prefer thicker and more protective moisturizers. I recommend the Versed Dew-Point Moisturizing Gel Cream, which is the same one I use for my combo skin. Try to look for moisturizers labeled as oil-free and non-comedogenic (this means the product won't clog your pores!)

do not use a very stripping cleanser, it will make your skin produce excess oils to compensate for the dryness, instead just use ones without many oils but also without many sulfates, so you feel clean but not stripped of moisture at the end. I recommend the Cerave Foaming Facial Cleanser, or the Salicylic Acid Cleanser from Cerave too. Salicylic Acid helps with acne, clogged pores, and sometimes blackheads. Also look for Niacinamide in products, it helps regulate your oil.

@lovemakeup2020What specific products are you currently using or are you looking to start a routine from scratch?

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing