cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|
Anonymous Insider

oily skin, but as soon as i apply makeup it looks dry and patchy

I was recently on accutane which decreased my skin's oiliness to an extent, but I would say my skin is still oily because when I wake up it feels sticky. I only use Maybelline BB cream to even out my skin texture and cover up acne scars lightly, but I have noticed that my skin looks very dull, dry, and patchy underneath any sort of makeup. Around my mouth I can sometimes peel off dead skin because I think my skin just eats away the makeup. Does anyone have any advice on what I should be doing to prevent this?

I only use CeraVe moisturizing lotion at night, Cerave am lotion under makeup, and the Cerave foaming facial cleanser for both morning and night.

Re: oily skin, but as soon as i apply makeup it looks dry and patchy

Hi! The side effects, although highly effective, of accutane is dry skin. As for the dullness, your skin lacks hydration. 

The most important step your need to change in your current routine is using the CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser. Sodium Lauryl is the main ingredient used that makes the cleanser foam up, however, it does dry out skin. Since you accutane does that on its own, I'd avoid using this cleanser until you're off accutane. (On the other hand, this cleanser is amazing for oily skin). I would recommend the Krave Beauty Matcha Hemp Hydrating Cleanser. It's packed with antioxidants, vitamin water, and green tea which works synergistically with dry skin. 

As for your dullness, drinking water helps. It's not this holy grail of a substance, but the benefits do show in a brighter complexion. Another great ingredient is niacinamide. It's in most skin care products these days, but I would recommend the Neogen Real Ferment Micro Essence. It has 93% micro bio ferment complex that makes the skin appear brighter, feel softer, and deeply nourishes dehydrated skin. 

As you are using accutane, I would avoid using chemical (& physical) exfoliants like BHA, AHA, or PHA. Your accutane already does what those acids claim to do at stronger percentages. Also investing in green tea products can aid in soothing your skin. 

Re: oily skin, but as soon as i apply makeup it looks dry and patchy

@Anonymous 

Sounds like your skin is a bit dehydrated. It is possible even tho it's oily, because dry skin lacks oil and dehydrated skin lacks water. 

Do you use any chemical exfoliation? You should use BHA such as the inkey list beta hydroxy acid, and the ordinary niacinamide.

You might be better off using the cerave moisturizing cream instead of the lotion. The cream is oil free and it does wonders on dry patches. 

Hope this helps!

The INKEY List Beta Hydroxy Acid 1 oz/ 30 mL  The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum  

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing