Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|
Anonymous Insider

how often do you apply sunscreen to your face?

i only apply sunscreen in the morning, then put on makeup. i'm afraid the sunscreen isn't working any more when i go out at lunch or after work.

I don't want to redo my whole face, any suggestions or tips out there?

how often do you apply sunscreen to your face?

I usually do a chemical sunscreen in the morning and then Tarte's mineral spf powder as the day goes on.

RE: how often do you apply sunscreen to your face?

I use Coola sun silk drops as the final step in my skincare routine, it blocks damage from phone/computer screens as well as sun. I then use a primer and tinted moisturizer, both containing physical and chemical spf. I reapply anytime I go outside and every hour while outside. My favorite products for this are Supergoop’s setting powder with physical sunscreen and Supergoop setting mist. The mist nozzle is a little unpredictable on that product- often hits my hair or eyes instead of where I was aiming. I just put it on my cheek or hands, then pat it on my face. Hope this helps!

Re: how often do you apply sunscreen to your face?

I just want to point out that if you use any kind of sunscreen, make sure it is full spectrum! Many sunscreens block out the UV rays that cause you to burn, but not the ones that cause cancer. A full spectrum spf will block both UVA and UVB so that you are actually protected. I know Shiseido products are full spectrum, not sure what else but make sure you check if cancer is your concern!

kate sommerville has an spf setting spray 🙌🙌🙌

kate sommerville has an spf setting spray 🙌🙌🙌

RE: kate sommerville has an spf setting spray 🙌🙌🙌

I loooove spf setting spray and have been missing the old formulation of coola’s setting spray. Their new formula doesn’t get great reviews. I’m definitely going to try the Kate Somerville!

Re: kate sommerville has an spf setting spray 🙌🙌🙌

I have been trying this out and so far I love it! I love the aerosol and it doesn't seem as heavy as previous ones I've tried, like SuperGoop! 

I apply COOLA Cucumber SPF 30 Classic Sunscreen every morning on my face and neck before I put on makeup. For me this is enough to block out the harmful rays during my drive to and from work. If I'm outside I've very vigilant about staying in the shade whenever possible. On warmer days I also apply a baby mineral sunscreen to my arms since I know I won't be wearing a jacket. When I know I'll be outside, I overkill it by pretty much covering myself head to toes with SPF 50 sunscreen and reapply every 2 hour. To me it's worth it to reduce the risk of skin cancer or looking like a leather bag later on down the road! 😄

I put on sunscreen every morning no matter what. So when you buy sunscreen, look at the SPF (Sun Protection Factor). The higher SPF, the longer the sunscreen will protect you from redness from sunburn. If it takes 1 hour to make your skin turn red without sunscreen, then after apply a sunscreen with SPF 4 it will take 4 hours to do the same damage. '

Well technically most sunscreens lose their effectiveness after two hours.  The spf is just an indicator of how much protection is going on during that time.  @AmorAmorAmor

This is why sunscreens tell you to reapply after a couple hours.  

I apply a liquid sunscreen in the morning under my makeup and use either a spray or a powder sunscreen throughout the day over top my makeup. 

I do the same using liquid sunscreen under makeup. But I'm wondering what type of sunscreen spray you like to use?

heartsmyface wrote:

Well technically most sunscreens lose their effectiveness after two hours.  The spf is just an indicator of how much protection is going on during that time.  @AmorAmorAmor

This is why sunscreens tell you to reapply after a couple hours.  

I apply a liquid sunscreen in the morning under my makeup and use either a spray or a powder sunscreen throughout the day over top my makeup. 

@AmorAmorAmor This is a bit late but i use biderma or vichy sunscreen sprays.  You just spray and pat. 

I don't do it myself (I usually try to avoid the sun exposure as much as possible), but I know a number of people who are more persistent with sun protection care especially my cousins and friends in Korea. 

They use a sunscreen, use a makeup base/primer that contains SPF and use cushion foundations that have high SPF rating (because not many people can wear the "suggested" amount of sunscreen under makeup). 

They also touch up with their cushion (one of the reasons why most Korean cushion foundation products are super moist) for sun protection purposes. 

It depends on what kind of sunscreen you are using. Chemical sunscreens need to be re-applied every 2 hours, while physical sunscreens are more durable. 

Check out this video, it teaches you how to make a DIY sunscreen cushion for re-application! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFWKrQAQ2GI  

I have heard good things about the Colorscience Loose Mineral Sunscreen that you brush on. It may be a good choice for reapplying during the day since it's a powder. Hope that helps! 🙂

@Anonymous I use this powder sunscreen to reapply over makeup during the day, I just keep it in my purse or car

http://www.sephora.com/sunforgettable-loose-mineral-sunscreen-brush-broad-spectrum-spf-50-P402576?skuId=1770015&icid2=colorscience_lp_bestsellers_carousel%3Ap402576

@suzyo I was wondering about this product actually-- my dermatologist recommended at my last visit. Have you found it to be convenient for you? Also, what shade do you wear? I was worried I would not have a good shade match and I couldn't find any good swatches from Google.

@blueviolet21 It's really convenient! It's the only way for me to reapply on the go actually, it mostly lives in my car. I use the shade fair and it looks fine on me. It kinda stinks there's only 4 shades though...when it comes to foundation I'm usually the lightest shade or the palest is too dark for me.

Anonymous Insider

great product idea - thanks!

I never reapply after the morning because I don't  touch up my makeup, ever 😞

I have heard of sunscreen cushions though, where there is sunscreen instead of the typical BB/foundation in the cushion. It's probably great for reapplication!

imellyn wrote:

i only apply sunscreen in the morning, then put on makeup. i'm afraid the sunscreen isn't working any more when i go out at lunch or after work.

I don't want to redo my whole face, any suggestions or tips out there?

1.  I don't wear sunscreen daily

2. If I wear sunscreen for a day when I want "some" protection - I have it in my foundation, applied just once.

3.  When I am anticipating high exposure (skiing, on water, hiking etc), I will adjust up.  But not more than twice.

*I will run now.*

Conversation Stats
testing