cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

acne treatments

hello! ☺️

i have been getting lots of zits on my forehead, and need a good spot treatment. i am using one right now by face reality  and it is the acne medication... but it’s NOT working. i have seen many pimple patches, so i was wondering if they worked? if they do, do they leave acne scars? 

if you happen to know any of this, please respond and lmk, thank you!

xoxo

Re: acne treatments

I second the Clinique Clearing Gel, @hadleyrosey. It works so well on my pimples and isn't irritating. I do like patches for when you have spots that have come to a head. The CosRx ones are great for those. 

Hydrocolloid pimple patches are great for when you have a pimple that has formed a whitehead and you want to get rid of it quickly. I feel like they work best when you’re sleeping because you don’t move your face as much but you can pretty much throw them on whenever. Replace the patch whenever you feel like it’s drawn out as much of the pimple as it can; you can see all the gunk on the patch that’s been sucked up. Some patches are even formulated with ingredients like benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid to function as a spot treatment too. 

For skincare, whenever I feel like I’m breaking out or about to, I use a cleanser with salicylic acid (CeraVe Renewing SA Cleanser) and then follow with a toner with active ingredients to fight breakouts. Currently I’m usingGlow Recipe Watermelon Glow PHA + BHA Pore-Tight Toner 5.07 oz/ 150 mL which I love because the PHA is gentle on my sensitive skin unlike some AHA. You can then follow up with any kind of hyaluronic acid you like. I'm using Too Faced Hangover Good In Bed Hydrating Serum 0.98 oz / 29 mL which smells amazing! Follow with niacinamide. I use Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Niacinamide Dew Drops Serum 1.35 oz/ 40 mL. The niacinamide and hyaluronic acid will both help to absorb moisture (don’t apply them to dry skin) and protect your skin from the harsh acne treatments. From here I sometimes use The Ordinary Azelaic Acid 10% Suspension Brightening Cream 1 oz/ 30 mL if I think my skin really needs relief, I will focus the product more on the break out areas. Finish off by topping with a moisturizer or sleep mask to lock everything in. LANEIGE Water Sleeping Mask 2.3 oz/ 70 mL or Glow Recipe Watermelon Pink Juice Oil-Free Moisturizer 2 oz/ 60 mL 

You can do this routine during the day too but you MUST use a good sunscreen with high SPF anytime you use actives to fight acne if you’re going to be exposed to sunlight. I find the glow recipe watermelon line is great because you can literally just buy the set, it’s fairly quick and easy to do the routine, and my sensitive skin hasn’t reacted to any of the ingredients in it. But you can pretty much use any brand or product that you like if you follow this format. 

I really hope this helps!

I use pimple patches and have found them to work very well. The trick though is that they won't actually work until the pimple has come to the surface turned into a whitehead. So it won't work on a deep pimple or a cystic pimple. I pop one of those on at night and by morning there is no white head and only a VERY small bump, if any bump at all. Also, as part of my morning and night routine I use Murad Acne Control Outsmart Acne Clarifying Treatment (salicylic acid treatment).... works amazing! And then I also spot treat as needed with a 10% benzoyl peroxide cream. Any cheap one from the drugstore will work. Using a retinol and niacinamide serum definitely is a huge help too. (Sorry...my adolescent Acne turned into adult acne which I got rid of but now have again because of, well, "maskne".... so I've tried sooo many products to perfect my routine). Exfoliating regularly is also super important as well as washing your face morning and night and taking makeup off as soon as you possibly can! I know that's a lot of info but I wish someone had told me all of these details years and years ago because I wouldn't have had to suffer with Acne until I was in my early 30s. I've only got my routine perfected in the last 2/3 years. It takes time to know what exact brands of products work best for you but when sticking with trusted brands, it won't take you long to figure it out. If you don't see any significant difference within 2, 3 weeks top.... try another brand with the same active ingredient. Good luck!! Feel free to comment back with any questions!!

Totally true about the acne dots, the spot has to surface / come to a head in order to work, but yes, they work very well. My favorite ones are the Peace Out brand. When using these patches I never had them leave a mark or take skin with it but if you’re worried you could wash your face and the warm water would loosen it. I forgot them on my face before and they came out in the wash.

One of the best spot treatments for acne that I’ve used is the Dermalogica Overnight Clearing Gel, but it may have been discontinued.

I also love the Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Gel Exfoliant. Specifically the Gel not the liquid. It stays in place and seems to work better, at least for me

Peace Out Salicylic Acid Acne Healing Dots 

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing