Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

YTTP Air Whip Moisturizer vs. Tatcha Water Cream vs. Farmacy Daily Greens

I'm at the end of a container of OH C Rush moisturizer and thinking of trying something new. Looking at Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz / 59 m...  and Tatcha The Water Cream Oil-Free Pore Minimizing Moisturizer # I'm oily and acne-prone.

I could use some BIC reviews and advice.

ETA: adding the Farmacy Daily Greens Oil-Free Gel Moisturizer with Moringa and Papaya 1.7 oz/ 50 mL  to this. After hearing a couple people with dry skin tell me they love the YTTP I am thinking it might be too heavy.

Re: YTTP Air Whip Moisturizer vs. Tatcha Water Cream vs. Farmacy Daily Greens

@sprocketta - I have combo/oily skin.  I tried the YTTP moisturizer and did not like it.  It was lightweight, felt great going on, and the scent was not noticeable.  Once it absorbed, though, it dried out my skin.  I used the entire jar and it was consistently like that.  I was disappointed.

On the other hand, I've been using Tatcha The Water Cream for years.  It has a nice texture, is lightweight, feels great going on and under makeup, and has minimal scent.  I've been trying different moisturizers over the past several months and every time I'm reminded how much I love the Tatcha!

I have not tried the Farmacy Daily Greens yet.  It's on my Loves list.

Re: YTTP Air Whip Moisturizer vs. Tatcha Water Cream

@sprocketta  The YTTP Superfood Moisturizer used to be my favorite moisturizer. I have mostly-dry combo skin, though. Your oily skin might prefer the Tatcha Water Cream: looks like its main moisturizing (water-loss preventing) ingredient is dimethicone, vs. YTTP Superfood's sunflower oil. Sunflower oil's good for all skin types and doesn't clog pores, and my very oily zone never felt swamped by the original version of Superfood Moisturizer. But it seems folks with oily skin generally do well with a dimethicone-based moisturizer. 

Quick note about YTTP Superfood Moisturizer: don't expect the ascorbic acid to do much for your skin over time. That's because this product's housed in a traditional transparent glass jar. The more times you open the jar, the more often the ascorbic acid (and any other sensitive antioxidants) gets exposed to light and air. And since ascorbic acid is infamously unstable, I'm not convinced it's worth much in this moisturizer unless you transfer the product to a reusable airless vacuum pump jar, which is what I always did with it. And even then, you have to be very quick about the transfer to reduce air exposure. I'm kinda glad I don't have to do that dance anymore. 😄 (My current moisturizer is sold in an opaque tube.) 

Full disclosure about my experiences with these moisturizers: 

Spoiler
Last year, YTTP reformulated the Superfood moisturizer: they added a bunch of crappy fragrance components my skin won't tolerate. I didn't know about this change til I was about 1/3 through a jar of the new version. (YTTP hadn't updated their site with the new ingredients when I repurchased, and I don't think Sephora had either, so of course I didn't read the INCI list on the box because hey, the formula should be the same as always, right? Sigh.) The new version was still moisturizing for me, but I was getting inflammation flares and couldn't figure out why—until I learned about the YTTP INCI updates. So I had to stop using this moisturizer and hunt for a new one. If your skin's not sensitive to fragrance components like hexyl cinnamal, citronellol, limonene, and linalool, and can handle all 4 of those in the same product, then you may have far better results than I did. 

I've tried Tatcha Water Cream a couple times (tried it for a few days in a row, then tried again months later for another couple days) and my skin threw a red bumpy tantrum both times, so I can't use it. That doesn't mean your skin won't like it, of course. But I can't really say how effectively moisturizing Water Cream was for me since my skin reacted badly to it. My skin hates Tatcha products in general, so it might just be me. 

@sprocketta I have tried them both and they are both fantastic moisturizers. The Tatcha has a strong scent, the YTTP has a very light scent. The YTTP feels more moisturizing to me, but the Tatcha performs better under makeup. I like the YTTP a little bit better and it’s a little bit more affordable than the Tatcha. 

I haven’t tried that one @sprocketta 

Thanks @faeriegirl your YTTP haul got me looking at the brand. If I can't get samples, I'll try YTTP. Don't know if they're doing samples from jars now.

@sprocketta  The last time I asked for samples in store they weren’t doing them from the jars. They had lots of sample packets though.

@faeriegirl that sounds about right. Still need to go to the store to exchange the GR niacinamide. As soon as the full size arrived it started giving me pimples left and right (I was still using the DS). I hadn't even started the full size. I was very disappointed. 

That sucks @sprocketta, I hope you can find a niacinamide that works for you. I’m still kinda on the fence with them and don’t think I will repurchase.

@sprocketta Sorry haven't tried that YTTP, but I sure do love my Tatcha. I think @faeriegirl might have done the YTTP. 

Thanks @Samtian I'm hoping to get samples Saturday but last I checked they were only doing samples from pump containers.

@sprocketta I didn't know they were doing samples at all.  What is your store doing exactly?

@greeneyedgirl107 I've only been to a store once in the last year. It was at some point around September. They said things have been relaxed and you could swatch stuff that was out and if it's in a pump you could get a sample. They had broken the wands out of the gloss tester I opened to look at. 

@sprocketta I had no idea.  I thought everything was hands-off.  As soon as I get a chance, I will go to my local store and see what they're up to.  I'd like to start out with maybe samples of hair oils.  I really haven't thought of what I might like of any sort of beauty product since I thought the whole swatching/testers thing was done for.

@greeneyedgirl107 i have no idea if that's corporate or handled by each individual store. I was really surprised. 

@sprocketta I was wondering the same thing.

@greeneyedgirl107 honestly my gut says individual store.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 25 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing