Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Skincare Aware

Will the Clarisonic stimulate unwanted hair growth?

I really want to buy a Clarisonic Mia but I'm afraid that it might stimulate the hair on my face to grow thicker. I really don't want my peach fuzz to become more noticeable. 

I read this online:

Topical hair growth is caused by sustained surface irritation to an area. These methods can stimulate the blood supply to an area, bringing more nourishment to the area. This can stimulate hair growth. 

Has this happened to anyone using the Clarisonic?

Re: Will the Clarisonic stimulate unwanted hair growth?

I can say without a doubt, that it DOES stimulate hair growth. I've always had moderate amounts of facial hair, and have been undergoing electrolysis treatments for months and seeing a great reduction in facial hair . . . almost done . . . facial hair almost 100% gone and not growing back.  Then I purchased the Clarisonic Mia and started using it daily.  For the first time in my life, my skin was gorgeous. Then all of sudden I started to notice hair growth in facial areas where I've never had it before, and getting much thicker.  I thought maybe in some roundabout way, the electrolysis was stimulating hair growth, so I talked to my technician about that and after explaining my daily routine, she suggested that maybe it was the Clarisonic, and sure enough it was.  I cut down the use of my Clarisonic to once or twice a week and ended up having to get laser hair removal to for six months to get rid of the facial hair.  The Clarisonic is an amazing tool and never plan to quit using it, but be advised.  It does stimulate hair growth.

I can say without a doubt, that it DOES stimulate hair growth.  I've always had moderate amounts of facial hair, and have been undergoing electrolysis treatments for months and seeing a great reduction in facial hair . . . almost done . . . facial hair almost 100% gone and not growing back.  Then I purchased the Clarisonic Mia and started using it daily.  For the first time in my life, my skin was gorgeous. Then all of sudden I started to notice hair growth in facial areas where I've never had it before, and getting much thicker.  I thought maybe in some roundabout way, the electrolysis was stimulating hair growth, so I talked to my technician about that and after explaining my daily routine, she suggested that maybe it was the Clarisonic, and sure enough it was.  I cut down the use of my Clarisonic to once or twice a week and ended up having to get laser hair removal to for six months to get rid of the facial hair.  The Clarisonic is an amazing tool and never plan to quit using it, but be advised.  It does stimulate hair growth.

I've had very fine peach fuzz hair on my face my whole life... BUT my brush has definitely caused longer and more fuzz then normal! I have been using my brush for 5 months and 100% have noticed extra peach hairs. On my cheeks, chin and even my eyebrows! I really don't want to have to stop using my brush.... So I think I will just cut down to once a week. I definitely wish I was warned about this early, it's not a pretty look.

Hmm I have a lot of peach fuzz on my face and have not seen an increase or change in growth or quanity of hair.

Yes, I used mine for about a month and now I have longer and thicker hair...Also I used it on my neck and now I am gifted with peach fuzz there too...I returned it!

I have noticed a huge increase in hair growth on my face since getting the Clarisonic. I've had very fine peach fuzz on the sides of my face but it has gotten much worse! I now get hair on my chin!!! ewww and increased growth on the sides of my face. It's really embarrassing and I have to use a depilatory cream frequently. I may stop using the Clarisonic altogether. I don't really think the other positive results were drastic enough to constantly tolerate this annoying facial hair!

I have same issue, can you please please tell me how you get rid of it?

Hi Kellygreene,   We have not heard of such cases of the...

Hi Kellygreene,

We have not heard of such cases of the Clarisonics stimulating excessive or more hair growth.  If anything, I feel like it has actually helped with any peach fuzz I may have had since my face is well cleansed.  I would suggest waxing rather than shaving for problematic areas, or even having it threaded to grab the follicle completely.  The Clarisonic will help keep the pores clearer & may help lighten areas that seem "darker" due to the dark follicle.     I know how hard asking questions like this can be, but you certainly have a valid concern!  Hope that helps Smiley Happy

xo, Mia

I've never come across this issue before while working with the Clarisonic or to any clients that I've recommended it to.

To be honest, your worry isn't irrational, as I can see how you may come across this idea. The Clarisonic provides a deep cleansing effect with micropulses and it's pulsating motions, which in turn brings trapped bacteria or oils in pores to the surface to purify and cleanse, it's natural to wonder if this may also stimulate the rising of hair follicles or strands as well.

As hair growth isn't generated from surface stimulation (if so, combing your hair or massaging your scalp would add extra inches), I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. In terms of hair growing thicker, that would be dependant upon the follicle shape, which determines if hair that grows outward is straight, wavy, curly, or even kinky and it's texture. The idea that hair grows back thicker due to processes like shaving or trimming holds next to no validity as what actually occurs during a shave is that the hair follicle, which has grown to a pointed, conical end, is bluntly cut off at a surface level, leaving the strand with a flat top, so when it grows, hair merely feels thicker or more coarse because time has yet to refine it to it's conical shape which occurs when hair is allowed to grow out for a longer period of time. Think of it as when you get your hair cut, your ends feel blunt and squared off, but months down the line, it's more refined.

If you have issues with facial hair, for example on your chin, along the sides of your face or even around your upper lip, I'm sure the Clarisonic won't stimulate further growth, if you get waxed or deal with ingrowns, it may even help with preventing or lessening that issue.

No problem! Smiley Happy
Welcome to the forum, too! Here, there's never any question you should feel hesitant to ask, we're all here to help!

Thank you so much!
You have assuaged my fears.
11 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors