From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware

Which facial cleanser should I switch to?

So to give you some background info, I have combination (oily, dry) acne prone skin. My acne is mild and I am on strong medication for it. I use .05% erythromycin-benzoyl peroxide in the morning and .1% tretinoin (retinal) at night before bed. My moisturizer is thick, but it's noncomedogenic and actually works well on my skin with the benzoyl peroxide- so that's not really the issue. My skin is also relatively sensitive because of the skin medication I am on. I like a cleanser with some acne fighting properties, like salicylic acid, but not super strong that it will dry out my skin. I am currently using Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser (.5% salicylic acid) and I like it, but it is a little too drying for my skin. I expected this when I started using it about 6 months ago because that's what I read from all the reviews on it. I find this frustrating because even though I exfoliate 3-4 times a week, I still get dry flakey skin; this is especially frustrating when I am trying to apply makeup. So I guess I'm looking for a cleanser that will help prevent acne, but I'm not looking for anything super strong because I am already on strong acne medication. Thank you for reading!

I also use some of those same acne treatments. They are v...

I also use some of those same acne treatments. They are very strong yoo need a cleanser without acne fighting ingredients. So that you are not over drying and cleasing your fave which just leads to more break outs and more oil. I swear by the ole oil control line, the green ones. its cleanser is gentle yet effective. using those i have cut back on the harsh benzo perioxides and antibiotics. and just use those plus my retinol and my face is super clear.
Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing