Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

What to use on a sunburn?

I started camp today and even though I applied a lot (IMO) of sunscreen, my cheeks, nose, and most of my forehead are now super sunburned (It's an all day outdoor watersport camp). What can I do to prevent this and furthermore to treat it? Thank you!

I'm lucky, I never got a sunburn!! (Actually, it's not th...

I'm lucky, I never got a sunburn!! (Actually, it's not that true anymore, I got my 1st one last week!!). I do put sunscreen on, but the best trick for me is using an after-sun lotion (I love Vichy's). I also put an good amount of moisturizer the next morning. I never got a sunburn with this routine. I didn't have my after-sun lotion with me last week (I was away, and forgot it at home) and it showed: I burned!!! But I put Aloes gel on it, and it didn't hurt the next day.

I hope it helped a little, have a great summer!

get water proof sun screen from now on....apply it 30 min...

get water proof sun screen from now on....apply it 30 mins before getting wet,  and if needed apply throughout the day... for now put aloe on your sunburn to help the pain

Sorry to hear about your sunburn!  Sunburns can be very p...

Sorry to hear about your sunburn!  Sunburns can be very painful.  Here are some tips from the Mayo Clinic regarding how to treat sunburns:

• Keep it cool. Apply cold compresses — such as a towel dampened with cool water — to the affected skin. Or take a cool bath.
  • Keep it moist. Apply aloe or moisturizing cream to the affected skin. Avoid products containing alcohol, which can further dry out skin. Beware of sunburn treatment products containing anesthetics, such as benzocaine. There's little evidence that these products are effective. In some cases, they may even irritate the skin. Benzocaine has been linked to a rare but serious, sometimes deadly, condition that decreases the amount of oxygen that the blood can carry. Don't use benzocaine in children younger than age 2 without supervision from a health care professional, as this age group has been the most affected. If you're an adult, never use more than the recommended dose of benzocaine and consider talking with your doctor.
  • Leave blisters intact. If blisters form, don't break them. You'll only slow the healing process and increase the risk of infection. If needed, lightly cover blisters with gauze.
  • Take an over-the-counter pain reliever. If needed, take anti-inflammatory medication — such as aspirin or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others) — according to the label instructions until redness and soreness subside. Don't give children or teenagers aspirin. It may cause Reye's syndrome, a rare but potentially fatal disease.
  • Treat peeling skin gently. Within a few days, the affected area may begin to peel. This is simply your body's way of getting rid of the top layer of damaged skin. While your skin is peeling, continue to use moisturizing cream.

I hope you feel better soon!
    Hope this helps!
    Have a great day!
    tenngal 🙂

Oh, how unfortuate! Soak some oatmeal in cool water and a...

Oh, how unfortuate! Soak some oatmeal in cool water and apply compresses of the cool liquid on your burned skin, that will cool and lessen the burny feeling.

Tomorrow, use a waterproof sunscreen with a high SPF and reapply every 2 hours or each time you towel off, no skipping. And use enough sunscreen, you should apply a shot glass full for your whole body, a tube of sunscreen should only last you about a week. Think icing a cake, not putting on a thin layer like moisturizer or regular makeup. And cover up with a big wide brimmed hat, a rashguard for your body and pants. Try to stay in the shade as much as possible when you aren't doing watersports and if you can avoid being out in the hottest part of the day. I know it's a bummer, but you don't want to end up in the hospital with sun poisoning. When I used to windsurf in the Caribbean I always was kidded that I looked like the Mummy all bundled up against the sun, but then I am really pale and burn super easily.

Hope you feel better.

Re: Oh, how unfortuate! Soak some oatmeal in cool water and a...

Thank you so much! Wow - I haven't tried windsurfing but it sounds really fun! At camp today, I actually saw someone windsurfing and thought of this post! I am reapplying just like you said and trying to use a lot of sunscreen!
5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing