Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

What skins care products/exfoliates do you recommend

Me I currently use clean and clear morning face wash and night time face wash. I am looking for something more . I feel like these products dry out my face. I am looking for a new skin care product routine as well as masks and scrubs/ exfoliating. My skin is combination type so my t zone is oily but my face can also become dry

Re: What skins care products/exfoliates do you recommend

@Kaity16I have a pretty similar skin type and also used to use clean and clear- it definitely is drying, so you're not wrong there.

I have liked pretty much every cleanser others have mentioned as well with the exception of the purity cleanser. My top picks would be FRESH - Soy Makeup Removing Face Wash or Origins Checks and Balances™ Frothy Face Wash 5 oz/ 150 mL- both of which I used for years. I switched to Biossance Squalane + Tea Tree Cleansing Gel 5.07 oz/ 150 mL because in addition to being a clean skincare brand, they're also cruelty free 😏 Plus, I love the smell of tea tree- definitely chose one of the others if tea tree is not for you

For a scrub, my favorite is still St Ive's apricot scrub- I also use it as a body wash and you can get a store brand dupe from target for $2- highly recommend. An AHA/ chemical exfoliator can sometimes be more gentle though. FIRST AID BEAUTY - Facial Radiance Pads or The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Exfoliating Toner 8 oz/ 240 mL (plus your own cotton pads) are good places to start, though the alpha-beta pads are also nice. KATE SOMERVILLE - ExfoliKate® Intensive Pore Exfoliating Treatment (the mini) was a nice exfoliating mask I would get to treat myself from time to time- you can get away with using a thinner layer and just letting it sit for a little longer than 2 minutes on your skin to get more uses out of it

Otherwise, Biore pore strips and a mud mask. There are lots of good budget mud masks, my favorite at sephora is Caudalie Pore Minimizing Instant Detox Mask 2.5 oz/ 75 mL. The Yes To line and Bliss at target offer some great options too

Finally- get a hydrating toner and a good moisturizer. For myself, the combo of Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz / 59 mL for day and Youth To The People Adaptogen Deep Moisturizing Cream with Ashwagandha + Reishi 2 oz/ 60 mL for night with Youth To The People Adaptogen Soothe + Hydrate Activated Mist with Peptides 4 oz/ 118 mL underneath (day and night) cannot be beat. But at a combined price of almost $150 I admit they are expensive. There's a mini kit of the night cream and the toner you could try and then wait for a 30% sale through the direct site if you decide to go that route. Otherwise, my original lineup that also worked super well for my skin was a toner from aveda (any hydrating toner or essence should get the job done, it's about finding what you like in terms of smell, mist finess, feel, etc) Origins GinZing™ Ultra-Hydrating Energy-Boosting Cream 1.7 oz/ 50 mL and Origins High-Potency Night-a-Mins™ Resurfacing Cream with Fruit-Derived AHAs 1.7 oz/ 50 mL- which also contains an exfoliator so you could skip the glycolic toner or the FAB pads I tagged above

I use Shiseido face razors to shave my face a few times a week. It's really good at exfoliating dead skin cells and removing any peach fuzz.

At night, I alternate between Drunk Elephant Framboos Glycolic Acid and Skinmedica Retinol Complex 1%. Since Skinmedica is not available at Sephora, I purchase it at a clinic in my area. However, when I run out of it, I will be trying out the Drunk Elephant A-passioni Retinol cream.

This routine has made a world of difference for me.  

I swear by the DR. DENNIS GROSS SKINCARE - Alpha Beta® Extra Strength Daily Peel ! They are amazing and really keep the skin clear fresh and glowy. its helps with scaring and any acne marks on the skin. I personally use the extra strength but if your skin is on the sensitive side use the original or you can use then every other day. These are the original.. DR. DENNIS GROSS SKINCARE - Alpha Beta® Universal Daily Peel

Anonymous Insider

I love Kate Somervilles exfoliating wash, and Peter Thomas Roth's is great too

RE: What skins care products/exfoliates do you recommend

Hi I have the same skin type and am a skincare junkie. For cleanser, I love Fresh Soy Face Cleanser. Second choice would be Philosophy Purity Made Simple One Step Facial Cleanser. My favorite drugstore cleanser is Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser. They are all gentle, yet effective, remove most makeup, and rinse clean. My favorite mechanical exfoliant is Lancer The Method Polish for Normal-Combination Skin. They also make a nice chemical exfoliating mask but it’s pricey. Lancer Lime Caviar Peel. If you’re looking for a chemical exfoliant that can be used more frequently and requires less time than a mask, I like Peter Thomas Roth Un-Wrinkle Peel Pads. My drugstore pick would be St. Ives Fresh Skin Apricot Scrub. If you’re on a budget and don’t have any major skincare concerns, add a lightweight moisturizer like Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench, Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel, Belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb, Ole Henriksen Sheer Transformation Perfecting Moisturizer. For a splurge, La Mer The Moisturizing Cool Gel Cream, The Moisturizing Soft Cream, or The Moisturizing Lotion are all excellent. For eye cream, Tatcha The Silk Peony Melting Eye Cream is light-medium weight. It can be used day or night. My favorite eye cream is La Mer The Eye Concentrate. Its very lightweight but very hydrating and plumping. Leaves your under eyes radiant. It’s very expensive though so if you don’t have fine line concerns around your eyes yet, save your money. An nice option in between the Tatcha and La Mer price points is Caudalie Premier Cru The Eye Cream. All three of these choices are highly concentrated and will last you at least a year. Non of them irritate my sensitive eyes. Make sure to add sunscreen and/or antioxidants to your routine to keep your skin looking youthful! I like Clarins UV Plus HP SPF 40, but there are many new products on the market that might be better and/or cheaper. If you have skincare concerns to address, see a dermatologist who may recommend something like a retinol product or laser or chemical peel treatment. For less serious concerns, I would add a daily serum and/or a weekly mask to your routine. A serum is applied after you cleanse and tone (if you use a toner) but before your moisturizer and sunscreen. This is where I spend the most money because the ingredients are more concentrated and can really target any skin concerns. For breakouts or uneven skin texture, iS Clinical Active Serum is incredible. For uneven skintone and brightening, I prefer SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic. For anti-aging, fine lines and wrinkles, SkinMedica TNS Essential Serum is worth every penny. If you don’t need something medical grade / clinical strength just yet, Summer Friday’s CC Me is a nice choice for a Vitamin C brightening serum - it also gives you that glass skin look. Algenist Liquid Collagen is fantastic for hydration and gives you bouncy plump skin. Sunday Riley Good Genes has lactic acid in it and is good for daily exfoliation, mild brightening and mild evening of skin tone and texture. For purifying masks, Glamglow Supermud Clearing Treatment works wonders on dull or congested skin. If you’re dealing with breakouts and oiliness on your t-zone, Fresh Umbrian Clay Purifying Mask works in just 3-5 minutes and can double as a face cleanser. Kiehl’s Rare Earth Mask is more heavy duty and cheaper for the amount that you receive. Also great for oiliness or acne. Peter Thomas Roth and Fresh are my two favorite brands when it comes to hydrating, anti-aging, and exfoliating masks. So many to pick from based on your needs! Sheet masks are another cheap and easy option, especially if you need extra hydration. I like the Korean ones and buy mine from Koreatown, but there are tons on Amazon. I’ve heard good things about Dr. Jart’s and Sephora also makes their own line of sheet masks. I keep my lip-care cheap and simple. I buy Chapstick in my favorite flavor/fragrance Cake Batter. I exfoliate with my toothbrush, a washcloth, and/or my facial exfoliant like Lancer’s The Method Polish, although you can make your own lip scrub at home - YouTube it! I would opt for trial sizes or samples first and only introduce one product at a time to your routine so that your skin has time to adjust. If you have an adverse reaction to anything you will be able to identify which product doesn’t work for you. If you have any serious skin concerns or reactions see a dermatologist! Be patient and know that it can take a month to see a difference in your skin. Also, some products like those with retinol or Vitamin A will make your skin go through a purging process, meaning that breakouts, flakiness, peeling, and the appearance of your skin will get worse before it gets better. If you experience burning or a rash you should rinse with cool water and discontinue use and consider seeing a professional. And finally, keep your cellphone screen clean and change your pillowcase often! Hope this helps!

Re: RE: What skins care products/exfoliates do you recommend

Could you tag your favorite products used that you mentioned in this post please 🙂

I like PHILOSOPHY - The Microdelivery Exfoliating Facial Wash
GLAMGLOW - YOUTHMUD® Glow Stimulating & Exfoliating Treatment Mask
GLAMGLOW - THIRSTYMUD™ Hydrating Treatment Mask

8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 13 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing