Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

What's a great sunscreen to wear underneath makeup?

Re: What's a great sunscreen to wear underneath makeup?

I'm also a fan of the Shiseido Urban Environment (white bottle) one.  I also recently tried the Armani primer which has SPF 50 and liked the texture a lot.

COVER FX "Clear Cover Sunscreen" its a primer and a sunscreen

RE: What's a great sunscreen to wear underneath makeup?

I have 3 favorites, that I use depending on the season. For summer I use Tatcha sunscreen, it's very mattifying and smoothing works great as a primer. For winter- Cane+Austin Prime and Protect, its both primer and sunscreen in one. And for any season- Shisedo Urban Environment Oil Free UV Protector (in white packaging) it's very thin and lightweight, great for underneath makeup. BTW I have combination skin with oily T-zone.

Tarte is my fave, its the most lightweight, non-greasy and fast absorbing physical sunscreen I've tried.  I tried the Josie Maran one in store and its more greasy so this would probably good if you have drier skin.  Stay far away from the First aid beauty sunscreen. its the exact opposite from what you want and very thick and chalky. 

I don't know any brands off hand but a lot have sunscreen in them if you're open to that option. Instead of a base 🙂

My personal favorite is Supergoop City Sunscreen Serum. Not at all greasy.

MDSolarSciences Mineral Creme dries down matte and wears very well under makeup. 

try Shiseido, the white little bottle, the $33 one. I’m combination skin, some sensitive area around Tzone and this one works perfectly fine.

I have generally dry skin and really like to use my sunscreen product as a moisturizer as well. I USED to use the Tarteguard 30 Vegan Sunscreen SPF 30 and it was perfectly light and absorbed quickly if it was the first application after cleansing. I liked that it COULD double as a moisturizer but was not meant for this purpose.

I switched to Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisturizer SPF 47 and it is SOOO luxurious. I didn't like it at first because it felt really thick, but for dry skin gals, I think I'm in love.

Aiming to find a product that moisturizes, absorbs quickly, and provides SPF coverage will really help in the application of face makeup.

Personally, it is because of my dry skin that I don't wear face makeup as it looks pretty terrible if my skin is not properly moisturized.

Good luck.

I love Kiehl's super fluid sunscreen! It's literally light as water and has 0 flashback! 

I really enjoy the Shiseido Urban Environment sunscreen! (The white bottle not the blue) It's very light weight! I'm a person who doesn't like the thickness or smell of sunscreen in general and this one does it for me 🙂

I really like the Clinque Pep-Start hydrorush moisturizer w/ SPF 20. I have normal/combo skin and it does a great, but not too heavy job moisturizing. It has a good enough SPF to wear throughout the day if you in the sun to long. Though I have just used it for a pretty sunny day at Disney and i didnt get red (Im very pale too so the sun loves my skin) Its my fav morning moisturizer / sunscreen duo !!
Anonymous Insider

I'm partial to physical sunscreens though I can wear some sunscreens that contain both chemical and mineral UVA/UVB filters.  In terms of sunscreens that doesn't pill and does well under makeup, I've found the following to work best for my combination-dry, dehydrated, and sensitive skin:

All physical/mineral sunscreen

• IT Cosmetics Anti-Aging Armour SPF 50+ - this is the sunblock I'm currently using. It's tinted - it says it has a universal tint but I do not believe that to be case at all.  If your complexion is fair to light to light-to-medium, I can see that this tinted SPF could blend well with your skintone.  It's lightweight, buildable, not greasy and provides a satiny, demi-matte finish.  On most days, I just wear this some concealer and maybe a setting powder for my base makeup.  Other days, I'll use it as a primer and wear it under foundation for more coverage.
  • Etude House Sunprise Mild Airy Finish Sun Milk SPF 50+++ - this sunscreen has a milky text; it has more of a runny, liquid-y consistency compared to other sunscreen products. It does leave a little bit of a white cast if you pat it onto your skin with your fingers - the white cast disappears - my preference is to pat it on my skin with a cushion puff.  Dries down nicely with no sticky residue and leaves a matte finish.  The matte finish was fine on the dry parts of my face, but I can see how it might be too matte for those with severely dry skin.  For oily or oily combination skins, or in warm weather, it is is an amazing sunscreen.  I've gifted several to a couple of friends, each of whom have raved about it.

For sunblock with chemical and mineral filters

• Elta MD UV Daily Broad Spectrum sunscreen - there are two different kinds, the "clear" version with SPF 46 and a tinted version with SPF 40.  Both versions have zinc oxide as its mineral filter and octinoxate as the chemical filter.  Both versions contain hyaluronic acid which helps the skin to retain moisture and  antioxidants (Vitamin E).  The clear version also contains niacinamide which is a brightening agent. My skin prefers the tinted version as the clear one caused me to break out a little - I now wonder if it is because of the niacinamide since that ingredient is not found in the tinted version of this sunscreen.  

It depends on your preferences (physical sunscreen or chemical sunscreen), the SPF value you desire and your skin type.  Without this info, it's hard to make recommendations.

Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 18 Hearts Given
  • 15 Contributors
Photos1
testing