Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

What have you given up?

What have you given up in your search for clear skin? I am trying to give up:

- dairy

- eggs

- starches

When I donโ€™t eat those foods, I have such clear skin. If I eat them, I have a big time break out including hormonal break outs along my jawline! 

Re: What have you given up?

I actually stopped drinking cow milk (I usually drink non-fat milk everyday with my coffee) the past week or so and my breakouts have gone down..

I thought it was a hoax when I first read about it tbh.

I have given up all meat (except seafood), dairy, and egg...

I have given up all meat (except seafood), dairy, and eggs as well. I eat pretty plant based and as minimally processed as I can.

As far as food I gave up bacon & potato chips in hopes of...

As far as food I gave up bacon & potato chips in hopes of a less oily t zone ๐Ÿ˜’

Food-wise, I haven't given anything up with getting clear skin as a primary reason.

Breakouts in my t-zone (easy to manage pustules) have pretty much stopped since I revamped my skincare routine 2 years ago, and I tend to only get hormonal breakouts (nasty red papules) now. I've accepted that hormonal breakouts will happen no matter what , so I manage them with additional skincare as they show up and I've had decent success.

I've gone 95% dairy-free in my diet since an IgG test showed that I was highly intolerant/sensitive (not allergic) to all dairy. I still eat it if it is a minor component of the food, but have switched to coconut milk yogurt and almond milk for cereal.

I've cut down on processed foods since 2015 and avoid added sugars whenever possible. Can't say it has done anything to improve my skin, however!

I noticed a difference in the radiance of my skin ever since I stopped wearing foundation in March of this year. It took me awhile to work up the courage to give it up, but I just found that my skin would have tiny red bumps shortly after wearing certain foundations (Armani Luminous Silk was the worst). I haven't touched a bottle of foundation since the day I gave it up and don't plan to ever again.

Love that you are natural faced! I don't wear foundation either, although I get why people love makeup, it still blows my mind how some people can load it on & then wonder why their skin is the way it is!

I think if you find the right foundation for your skin, it wouldn't make your skin worse ๐Ÿ™‚ I don't buy that whole "foundation doesn't let your skin breath" myth. I just didn't find what worked well with my skin, so I'm better off without it. @Anniehox

And "natural faced" is a bit of a stretch and too much credit for me ;), I still wear powder which helps even things out ๐Ÿ™‚

I agree! If you find something that works for you that's great! 

I've mostly given up wearing makeup on my fire department nights.  I normally take a shower at night to remove my makeup, but when I'm spending the night at the fire station I just wash my face at the sink, and I don't feel like it cleans as thoroughly as when I take a shower.  So my solution was to just show up fresh-faced.  God knows everyone on the crew has already seen me au natural, given how many calls we get in the middle of the night!

you should keep a supply of sheet masks there! Thank you for your service!!

Is it weird if I say I've given up being lazy? There were just way too many nights when I would come back from work or a night out and be like it won't hurt to sleep in my makeup this once or I don't feel like doing my skin care routine tonight and so many times I was going weeks without cleaning my makeup brushes. My skin has changed so much for the better since I stopped doing those things. 

YES!!! Does it still surprise you every time you wake up how much of a good idea it was to wash the night before?? I def have lazy moments, but when I wake up with my face plump and smooth, I can't help but give myself a high five hahaha  

Don't forget to change your pillow case if you're sleeping with makeup on

I've given up meat and dairy for health reasons. My skin strongly benefited from the change. 

RE: What have you given up?

Gave up diary and it has significantly improved my complexion. Also increased drinking water no more sugar-type drinks / candy. Anyone who is prone to breakouts take out the diary and sugar and you will definitely see flawless skin results.

Giving up dairy can be helpful, but I wouldn't eliminate yogurt from your diet cause they have probiotics that help with the gut and further your skin. The most common culprit for breakouts is sugar (which unfortunately a lot of so called "healthy" foods have a ton of to compensate for the lack of taste we are used to). Probiotics are helpful which is why a lot of them are being added to skincare now. I even take a probiotic and a hum supplement for clear skin. I try to get plenty of omega fatty acids and collagen. I switched a ton of my products (even expensive ones that hurt to get rid of) and switched to more natural products (they have less additives). My skin has thanked me for it. I gave up a lot of things to obtain my clear skin. I drink almond milk instead of regular milk. The reason people have issues with most dairy products is the hormones so that is probably why you get hormonal breakouts from that. I only drink water, green tea, or coffee now. I try to avoid gluten or anything that may further disturb my skin like too much alcohol. Having a diet for clear skin is very tough but rewarding I think not only for skin but for the body. I also make sure to get plenty of greens and fruit

I am pretty close to the same diet as you! I take a daily all natural probiotic and I also have switched to natural products. I cringe when I hear about people using Rodan & Fields. 

I am always drinking water and green tea! I also throw some ginger/tumeric tea in there too.

Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 30 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing