Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Vitamin C

I’ve been using The Ordinary Ascorbic Acid 8% + Alpha Arbutin 2%  everyday in the morning. But I’m starting to notice my skin getting really dry and flaky especially around my nose and mouth. Should I cut down on using it everyday and maybe only use it 3 times a week? Or should I get a new one? Any vitamin C recommendations for dry and sensitive skin?

Re: Vitamin C

I use CE Feurlic Vitamin C by SkinCeutials everyday and it has never dried me out.  However, it’s price point is a lot, but it’s been a game changer for me.  

@amonaaa  Cutting back to 3 times a week (or even just twice or once a week) is a good idea. Also, before you apply this serum, try applying a bit of petrolatum-based balm (Aquaphor, CeraVe Healing Ointment, or even plain ol' Vaseline) to the skin around your nose and mouth. This will protect those areas of your face from irritation. 

In fact, if your skin's very dry and flakey right now, I recommend stopping this serum for a while. Your skin barrier's likely damaged and needs repairing. Roll your routine back to basics: gentle cleanser, moisturizer, and daytime sunscreen. Do not exfoliate your skin while it's damaged: that would worsen the flaking and cause very painful irritation. Replace your current moisturizer with a thin layer of one of the petrolatum-based products I mentioned. (If your skin's sensitive to lanolin, skip Aquaphor and try the CeraVe ointment or a petroleum jelly.) Or if your entire face isn't super dry and flakey, use your usual moisturizer on your whole face and then apply a petrolatum balm to just  the damaged areas. Petrolatum will act as a protective moisture barrier while your skin heals. Be sure your skin's damp before you apply moisturizer, so it'll have some hydration to seal in. 

Stick with that simple routine until your skin's no longer flakey. Then you can slowly add other products back to your routine, one by one. 

That The Ordinary vitamin C serum doesn't contain any soothing anti-inflammatory ingredients, unfortunately. You might need to add a product that contains lots of licorice root (usually listed in ingredients as glycyrrhiza glabra root extract): it reduces inflammation and brightens skin. My favorite licorice root product isn't sold at Sephora: It's Skin Power 10 Li Effector. But this ingredient's in many skincare products on the market. 

Thank you!

I found the same in the corner of my eyes.  I starting mixing with my moisturizer.  Take a few days off then try again. Hope this helps. 

Thanks!

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 18 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing