cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Vitamin C serum beginner

Hi! 

I've never used vitamin c serums before, but I really want to start adding it underneath my sunscreen for the summer. do you guys have any reccomendations of beginner friendly vitamin c serums that won't break the bank? from what I've heard this product is good, but I just wanted to get more opinions. The Ordinary Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate Solution 20% in Vitamin F 1 oz/ 30 mL

also is it okay to use a vitamin c serum in the morning if I used a chemical exfoliator at night? 

Re: Vitamin C serum beginner

@kunfa I’m on a similar hunt right now. Totally fine to use Vitamin C and exfoliators (AHA) as you’re describing. In fact, you may notice several Vitamin C formulations at Sephora which incorporate AHAs in them! So even in the same regimen can be fine, if your skin will tolerate it. 

As for The Ordinary product you’d mentioned, you’d have to order it to see... That brand is not available in stores for sampling. They have several Vitamin C products to choose from, and the super-affordable price point makes them an attractive place to start.

My skin is combination/oily, so I recently ordered their Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12%, which initially looked promising as it absorbed quickly and didn’t leave a greasy residue. Unfortunately, I experienced pretty bad pilling issues with it, so I had to return. I’m considering these now:

VOLITION BEAUTY - Strawberry-C Brightening Serum

TARTE - Youth or Dare Multi-Acid & C-Serum

SEPHORA COLLECTION - Ultra Glow Serum: Glow + Strengthen Vitamin C Serum

If your skin is more on the dry side and you don’t mind silicones, The Ordinary’s Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone gets some good reviews as a daytime primer. There is also a new kid in town, The Inkey List, that has their Vitamin C cream – also in silicone. I believe those 2 products are comparable, and both under $10!

The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone 1 oz/ 30 mL

The INKEY List Vitamin C Brightening Cream 1 oz/ 30 mL

Hope this helps. Let me know what Vitamin C serum ends up working out for you!

Definitely ok to use chemical exfoliators in the evening if you use vitamin C in the morning. 

I've never used the Ordinary but I would suggest going to the store and just trying each of them texture. I've really liked their other products and really like their no frills ethos.

I tried and hated the Ole because of texture and smell. I'm currently using C-Firma, which I really like, but it's quite expensive ($80), and when I run out I'm probably going to switch back to Skinceuticals C E Ferulic, which the one derms typically recommend but it's so darn expensive!

I love Vitamin C, @kunfa . I use C-Firma both day and night. If you live by a Target, I definitely recommend checking out Pixi’s new Vitamin C line. They have a serum and Pixi has always been a stellar brand. It’s not as affordable as The Ordinary, but they offer Vitamin C in different consistencies such as a facial spray, serum, oil and moisturizer. Depending on your skin type, you can choose which is best for you. 

@kunfa A few have mentioned the Ole and I think that’s probably the best for a “beginner” since it’s straight forward, doesn’t contain other active ingredients, and it’s more affordable than some other options. It will be really easy to add to whatever other products you are currently using, and it’s actually the vit-c serum I’m using. I went back to it after trying another one. I apply it after my essence/toner, then layer moisturizer/SPF over. 

@kunfa The type of vitamin C serum you want depends on what issues you're using it for. Most people do like to use their vitamin C serum in the morning since it helps boost the effectiveness of sunscreen. 🙂

@kunfa  I really like DRUNK ELEPHANT - Rise + Glow™ Duo

it gives my skin a nice glow when I use it. What kind of chemical exfoliate are you going to use? I use c-firma in the morning and DRUNK ELEPHANT - NightBright™ Duo

at night. 

RE: Re: Vitamin C serum beginner

I’m just using the glowtonic by pixi!

@kunfa 

I also recommend the OLEHENRIKSEN - Truth Serum®

It is the first vitamin c serum I used and it worked great.

I second @belabela8@kunfa  though it won’t let me tag the Ole Henriksen Truth Serum. Gentle and has a deliciously citrusy-scent!

RE: Vitamin C serum beginner

Ole Henriksen truth serum is a game changer!
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 13 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing