Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Very Sensitive Skin

I need help, now. I have VERY sensitive skin. One wrong product and my face looks like a tomato and is all bumpy :(. I just want some skincare to use daily, please help! 

Re: Very Sensitive Skin

Hey @NatBrat2000  sorry you're going through this! You have some great reccs already but when this happened to me I took my routine right back to basics, I used the CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser and the Drunk Elephant Protini™ Polypeptide Firming Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL If you are suffering with acne spots and sensitive skin I would definitely try a spot treatment, it's possible on all over acne treatment is too much for your whole face 

@NatBrat2000 try google the brand "la roche posay" and take a look at their products. My skin is combination, but reacts in a bad way to many products. I always found la roche posay products effective and gentle on my skin.

@NatBrat2000 I've found that products from Ren and First Aid Beauty work well for my sensitive skin--I especially love REN Clean Skincare Evercalm™ Overnight Recovery Balm 1.02 oz/ 30 mL

Also, I saw others have mentioned Cerave, and that works well for me, too--and it was recommended by my dermatologist. 

Hey girl! I would definitely recommend Dermalogica’s UltraCalming line, I’ll link some products in the associated products section, but all UltraCalming products are distinguishable by the purple color on the packaging! 

Ceela Naturals whole line is allergen free and preservative free, which are your pore clogging ingredients found in 99.9% of other products. Me myself, I’m soooo tired of finding allergens and preservatives. 

Can definitely relate! I recommend Avene brand. The products are so soothing. My dermatologist recommended one of the lotions to me, and since then I have tried most of their products. Unfortunately Sephora doesn’t carry their products. I purchase them at Ulta, but have seen them in different drug stores. The Avene mask is amazing how it instantly soothes my sensitive skin. 

I also recommend seeing a dermatologist. They can prescribe something to get that reaction under control. 

first aid beauty for sure!!! very good for sensitive skin, i’ve been using the brand for years and will always go back to it. 

Thank you!

@NatBrat2000 if you're on a budget I'd look into the drugstore brand Cerave and if slightly higher-end is your speed you might check out First Aid Beauty. 

Thank you 🙂 this is a huge help! 

@NatBrat2000  I'm in total agreement with @meganban.  Can you access very basic, minimal-ingredients products, ie a very plain Aloe Vera or Oatmeal soap, a very basic moisturizer (ie Cerave), to just keep things as simple as possible, as to rule-out other potential internal and /or external factors?

I will get some Cerave thank you so much! 

Happy to help in the quest for calm skin.

I should've mentioned before:

It's a very good idea to Wait some Minutes after washing the face before applying Toner, Moisturizer, Treatment, etc. Let the skin adjust. I notice if I don't wait ~10 mins. after washing, & just apply 2% b.p. to a spot - kabam! Red area.  Some 'Actives' just do that regardless though. 

Another thing, (if you aren't already doing so) Patch-test any/all new Product, on a small area. Maybe just lower L jaw, or L corner above temple, or upper chest. Perhaps make a note of the time, product & site.

In the 80's, I'd read about Patch-testing on 'inner elbow'. But epidermis there is totally different from t-zone.

hth!

@MvLL @NatBrat2000  It's better to apply moisturizer right after washing your face, while your skin's still damp. Then wait a few minutes, and apply the rest of your skincare products over moisturizer. (Yes, your skincare products will still work that way.) That way, you'll seal in hydration rather than let your skin dry out. Also, moisturizer can buffer some side effects of active ingredients. That's why some folks apply tretinoin and other retinoids over moisturizer, with their dermatologists' blessings. Eh, if your dermatologist instructed you to wash, wait 10 minutes, and then apply your skincare products (including moisturizer), then continue following your derm's directions. 

If "2% b.p." is benzoyl peroxide, then I'm not surprised you get instantly red after applying. It seems many people are sensitive to benzoyl peroxide, and a few folks—like me—are truly allergic to it. The sensitivity (not allergic) reaction is usually redness and/or a field of little skin-colored bumps. Neither the allergic nor the sensitivity reaction are fun, though, especially since benzoyl peroxide is such an effective ingredient. 😞 

And YES, patch testing is a great idea. Patch test all of the things! 👍 My usual test areas are my lower jaw and neck. I have to do this for any skincare product that lists the vague "fragrance" as an ingredient, because it could be a combo of the many fragrance components/essential oils my face hates. 

Heartily agree with your points. Indeed, locking-in moisture is so helpful when humidity % are low., etc. 

If only skincare was simpler for people to figure-out. All the mis-steps made over the years...arrgh.

B.P. and S.A. work nicely for me, but treatments with Sulfur or Squalane have not.

Plus, the new-ish trend of micronized / nano ingredients gives me pause. So many considerations to take into account. But at least we have options!

@NatBrat2000 What are you skincare concerns or goals?

Some brands that are known to be gentle are CeraVe and FAB.

I have a sensitive skin too, and perfume on my cause a lot of cystic acne. So i propose to you to search product without perfume/fragrance, alchool, strong ingredient etc. 🙂

Thank You So Much!!

Do you know what ingredients you're sensitive to, @NatBrat2000? Or what products have and haven't worked out for you in the past? Also, what's your skin type?

My skin type is Normal. But it does get dry incredibly quick 

Conversation Stats
testing