Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Unexplained Redness

Back in January or February I got a terrible windburn on my skin. I treated it with OTC skincare products and life went on. I had a cancer scare and was put on a steroid that made my face flush red, and happened to go red in the exact areas where the windburn happened - almost to an outline. I’m off the steroid now however the redness still remains. Did I randomly get Rosacea? Is it the windburn? Is it because of the meds? 
I’m so confused. I can’t consult with a dermatologist because covid is very much on the rise where I live. Does anyone have any products they recommend to help with redness? I don’t want to conceal it, I want to make it go away. 

Re: Unexplained Redness

@GG84 I'm so sorry you had a negative reaction to the steroids. I'm not trying to replace professional advice, but did you use a corticosteroid? This "rosacea" could be a side effect. Sources say that this should subside with disuse though so maybe if it hasn't been too long, just keep babying your skin? I'd paste the links but since I can't, my sources are

• National Rosacea Society, a charitable US organization
  • New Zealand Medicines and Medical Devices Safety Authority. This is a government site and it advises against applying steroids topically to the facial area.
  • JAMA Network, a medical journal published by the American Medical Association. The article also advises against applying to the face.

Also, have you considered calling Telehealth Ontario? Perhaps they could advise you. I know a lot of doctors are taking remote appointments now. My sister is seeing her patients on some kind of provincial tech platform that's like Zoom but obviously hopefully (!!!!) with more security than Zoom.

@GG84 First: I hope the cancer scare did end up being just a scare. ❤️ 

Next: these anti-inflammatory ingredients usually calm my redness down. (Don't know how much of this is readily available in Canada.) 

• Licorice root - it's already in, what, 95% of skincare products? 😂 But you can also get boosters/serums/"ampoules" that feature it in large amounts. I use It's Skin Power 10 Formula LI Effector daily now. It contains just 9 ingredients, including the humectant polyglutamic acid. 
  • Centella asiatica (cica) - my favorite product is COSRX Pure Fit Cica Serum (contains 7 forms/components of cica plus sodium hyaluronate, glycerin, and panthenol), but I also have lots of cica sheet masks by various brands. 
  • CBD oil - my favorite is still Herbivore Emerald CBD + Adaptogens Deep Moisture Glow Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL , but I also like Flora + Bast Age Adapting CBD Serum . CBD oil doesn't work for everyone's inflammation, and I wish there were mini bottles/vials of both these products folks could buy for testing. Then there's the smell... I hate the smell of weed but these 2 oils aren't that bad. The Herbivore oil is stinky for 10 seconds during/after application, and then I can't smell it anymore. 

Avoid using AHA and BHA on and directly around the red parts of your face. Also avoid using fragranced products on that area, including fragranced makeup. I know everyone's skin is different, but some fragrances make my redness flare like crazy. And of course, products with high amounts of alcohol might cause more inflammation. 

I hope you can see a derm in the near future. I haven't been able to see mine, either. 😞 

@GG84 I'm sorry you can't visit a derm as that would be the best resource. Products with centella asiatica and I believe mugwort also tend to help with relieving redness.

Medication or treatments can as a side effect get the skin to become sensitive. 

You have to wait to get an official diagnosis, but in the meantime i would suggest for you to use products that are friendly to sensitive skin.

Idk how long youve been having this redness, but if it is roseaca, know that there is no products thats been proven to cure it.

Certain products can calm it, and even make it seem like its gone, but its not cured. 

Use gentle products for sensitive and reactive skin. Good luck 🙂

Note: i got this information from dermatologist.

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing