Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Under Eye Bumps, NOT milia

For as long as I can remember, I've had these tiny bumps that gather around the inner corner of my eye and along my dark circles. I really, really hate them! They kind of look like chicken skin, but they don't really feel bumpy or anything. I've seen pictures of milia, and that is definitely not what I have. These little bumps don't ever go away and they never move. Some people say that they've started to notice this chicken skin under their eyes as they aged, but I'm a Sophomore and I've had this problem my whole life! I've done a little research, and so far all of the fixes have been really complicated and confusing. Please give me a solution! I like to take good care of my skin, but I'd much rather just buy a lotion or something than see a dermatologist. Thanks for all your help!

Re: Under Eye Bumps, NOT milia

eliza007, ooh very interesting! were there any side effects from the procedure? did you only have to do it once?
Anonymous Insider

I have these and I just found a product that actually flattened the bumps! Im over the moon about it since these bumps have bothered me for years. Its called GLAMGLOW Brightmud eye treatment. I got a sample of it last time I ordered stuff from Sephora. I cant believe I found something that works besides surgery! 

Anonymous Insider

Hi, I read your comment regarding milia and the GLAMGLOW under eye mud...Did the milia disappear completely?! do you still use the mud? you disnt notice any side effect for the mud under eye area. thanks

I was just looking for the same information and came upon three potential explanations from different dermatologists (some mentioning more than one possibility), and then I finally found Dr. Cynthia Bailey, who mentioned all three, so I'm going to hope that her's is the most complete and thus accurate. An excerpt from her website states...

"The solution to treating bumps under the eyes needs to start with an accurate diagnosis, which means a trip to a dermatologist! The reason is that there are several other alternative causes of “bumps” under the eyes, and they are more common than clogged pores in this area.

Common causes of bumps on the lower eyelid skin:

#1 - Prominent sebaceous glands. There are many sebaceous glands in this area and they become visible when the eyelid skin thins with age or becomes dark due to circles under the eye.

#2 - Syringomas. These are actually benign tumors of the sweat glands. To remove or reduce these in size requires surgical or laser treatment.

#3 - Milia. These are tiny white cysts that can form anywhere, including the eyelids. They can easily be lanced by someone trained in blood-born precautions (e.g. medical personnel)."

As for the difference between a serum and cream, it’s actually not a hard and fast difference. In fact, the term is often randomly selected by the product company for market niche purposes! To really evaluate the pore-clogging capacity of a product, you have to read the label. Look for oils and, if you want something less apt to block pores, skip the oils. An interesting option would be to try a pure hyaluronic acid serum [product name omitted to avoid outside advertising]. It is very light and the hyaluronic acid hydrates skin to plump it, possibly diminishing the appearance of sebaceous glands. It will not lighten dark circles though. [A different product] has ingredients that can lighten dark under-eye circles. It contains retinol, hyaluronic acid, and no oils. It is an opaque product that looks creamy, hence the term “cream.” 

Finally, it’s important to know that retinol can irritate skin. That’s why you need to figure out the right strength for your eyelid skin. Avoid using a retinol product that’s too strong for your delicate eye area because it can lead to irritation, which unfortunately can lead to milia formation. I’ve found that the retinol level in [the product she uses] is right for most people’s skin, which is another reason that it’s the eye cream that I use in my practice, and that I use for my own sensitive skin."

Long story short, my own non-professional, but suffering the same condition, advice is to remember that your skin is the largest organ of your body. Seeing a dermatologist is not a luxury like a spa appointment. It is a doctor visit. And many (if not most) healthcare plans with cover at least an initial visitation (especially if you haven't had a cancer screening) to access the nature of "unidentified bumps." So do the right thing for your very real health condition and save yourself from missing something dangerous and the potential of making it worse.

I hope this information helps you as much as it helped me.

I forgot to add one other possibility that I found from Dr. Jessica Wu, who stated on her website...

"Another possibility is xanthelasma, which are localized deposits of fats that collect in the skin of the upper and lower eyelids. They can be skin-colored to yellowish and are associated about half the time with elevated blood lipids (fats), including cholesterol and triglycerides, which may be a sign of diabetes. Removal usually requires electric cautery or surgery.

I suggest a visit to a dermatologist or an oculoplastic surgeon (a plastic surgeon who specializes in the eye area), who can examine your skin to diagnose your condition and recommend the best treatment for you. "

An old thread, I know, but I have the same thing so I was happy to find this -- even though I just learned it's probably genetic and nothing I can do about it hehe.

I too have found most concealer doesn't help with this.

No, they aren't terrible looking, just that they make my skin look less even and "perfect" and lately I've been on a mission to have more even skin and take great care of it.

I've tried gentle chemical exfoliation (with no ill effects), but not much improvement either.  Maybe a little.

I am going to ask the derm next time I go in!

Anonymous Insider

I have the same issue, but it doesn't bother me. It's genetic, there's not much you can do about it but keep up a healthy diet/exercise/skincare routine.

The best advice I can give you is this: you are the only one who cares about the tiny bumps under your eyes. You are the only one who notices they exist. Try to remember this and take steps to overlook these tiny imperfections that only you care about. You're stressing yourself out! I'm sure you look lovely.

I do realize it's not that easy, but hey, I can at least try to give you a pep talk! 🙂

I have these too! 😞 I just recently got them when I entered my 20's. It's really frustrating. I don't have a lot, & they're not ON my eye lid, more around it. I have a few basically right on my temples, & a few that are underneath my eyes. I haven't talked to anyone about this, but I have noticed that my mom has them, too. So I guess they are genetic. They aren't really all that noticeable, just annoying knowing that they are there. I did some research & found out that exfoliating might help. Obviously, if it's on or around your eyes, exfoliating the delicate eye skin wouldn't be the best bet, so exfoliate VERY lightly, maybe with a wash cloth & some cleanser. Hope this helps. 

Hey I have those too!  I disagree that concealers make it worse.  Yes..it is frustrating to find the right product, or combination of them.  I recently have been having a bit of luck using an eyeshadow primer under the eye before concealing.  It helps smooth the surface.  Hope this helps.

Anonymous Insider

It is NOT Milia, you are correct. I have the same thing....

It is NOT Milia, you are correct. I have the same thing. I am in my 30s now, but I've had them since as long as I can remember, before I was even a teenager. 

My dermatologist said it's genetic and nothing, including plastic surgery, will ever fully fix it.  We just have thinner skin under our eyes and these bumps are the glands under your skin showing through (empty glands, not clogged like in milia). 

It has been my experience concealers just make it look worse. 

However, I have noticed it's not as bad if I get a good night's sleep, drink lots of water, eat lots of fruits and veggies and cut down on sugars and salt. 

I also feel better if I don't call it chicken skin (even if that's the best description), ignore it, and concentrate on highlighting the other parts of my eyes.

Hi Gnatalie97,    It could be a really mild form of milia...

Hi Gnatalie97, 

It could be a really mild form of milia, an allergic reaction to a product (I get bumps from irritation of makeup or removers I use) so I really can't suggest the best thing for you especially since it is SO close to the eyes, you want to be safe! I would honestly recommend you ask your doctor for what you can use/do and ask to see a dermatologist which can hopefully determine the cause and a solution for you! 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
testing