Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Trouble with Luna Sleeping Night Oil and breakouts?

Hi,

I have dry-combo, sensitive skin and have struggled with persistent acne since my teens, but now just mainly have scarring and no breakouts. I wanted to start incorporating retinoids, as I'm about to turn 30, and thought I'd try Luna, as it's less strong than retinols. I've been using for about a week now. 

However, I'm now experiencing a bad breakout, with whiteheads and several cystic pimples forming on one side of my face, on my cheek by my nose. I've gone down from using nightly, to using every other night, alternating with Indie Lee squalane oil. I'm using plenty of SPF, as well as hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, and moisturizer. Skin doesn't feel dry, actually is feeling well-hydrated, but irritated. I do think Luna is helping with texture in general. 

Should I stop using Luna or see how my skin responds to less usage?? Help! 

Tags:

Re: Trouble with Luna Sleeping Night Oil and breakouts?

I use Luna and have no issues. I also have super bad cystic acne and after birth control and TO niacinamide serum and it’s a non issue. How often do you wash your bedding? 

Hello Heather,

Maybe you should also take a look at the sunscreen you are using. Some specific ingredients can irritate the skin. Mineral Sunscreens are good for your skin type. Also Kiehls makes a beautiful Oil, Midnight Recovery Concentrate, Lavender and Primrose Oil, it actually helps balance the PH of your skin and is great for people who suffer from acne prone skin. Apply a few drops in the evening whilst you sleep. They also have a great Amazonian Clay Mask. Great for your skin type. Maybe think of adding these into your skin routine so you can continue with your Luna Oil 

Hi SusanLUK,

I am using SuperGoop Matte Screen for my SPF, which seems to be working well for me so far, as many other sunscreens will clog my pores and may lead to breakouts. 

I wanted to be patient with Luna, as I've heard of "retinol purging" and that sometimes skin gets worse before it gets better? Thank you so much for your product suggestions! I've heard good things about evening primrose oil. 

Hello Heather,

Yes Super Goop is a wonderful Sunscreen and your using the mineral, perfect for your skin. Go ahead and try the Midnight Recovery. At Sephora you can purchase the small size 15ml it's great for first time purchase. Also the Kiehl's Deep Pore Cleansing Mask is magic for breakouts and preventing breakouts. it detoxifies the skin.

Thank you for those suggestions! I will definitely check out the Kiehls deep pore cleansing mask you recommended! Love a good mask. 

I am now seeing improvements to my skin and the breakout I had is much improved, now that I have reduced my usage of Luna. I haven't taken it out of my PM routine completely, but I definitely think I was doing too much and my skin reacted...

@heatherd28  I agree with @cgagnon you’ve given it enough time. My skin sounds similar to yours, combination and struggled with acne since my teens. I just turned 30 a month ago. I had the same reaction to Luna when I tried it, cystic acne showed up. I find most retinols to be quite strong too, but what has helped my skin the most in the past year (dramatically improved texture, fading of acne scars, less breakouts) are the below products. I recommend the Bakuchiol serum instead of Luna. 

The INKEY List Niacinamide Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL 

First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads with Glycolic + Lactic Acids  

OLEHENRIKSEN Truth Serum® 
Herbivore Bakuchiol Retinol Alternative Smoothing Serum 

Herbivore Prism AHA + BHA Exfoliating Glow Facial 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 

Hi lnum,

Wow thank you for this detailed post! I am actually currently using Niacinamide from the Inkey in my routine like you suggested and I love it! Do you use day/night, or just once a day? I also use their Hyaluronic Acid. 

I've tried Ole Henriksen Banana Bright moisturizer as a free sample and loved it, so I'm glad to hear your recommendation for Truth Serum. I'm currently using Sunday Riley CEO moisturizer as a Vitamin C in my routine, but I don't love the consistency and feel of the product. 

I've always wanted to try Herbivore products, as I prefer clean skincare and beauty brands in general as my skin is just so sensitive, and the Bakuchiol looks really promising! 

Thank you again!! So helpful!

It sounds like you have given it enough time it probably isn’t for you I would completely stop using see if you clear up then you will know if it was responsible. If it is responsible then exchange for a different brand. Drunk elephant and biossance has retinol formulas... that are not oil based.

Thank you for your feedback!

I used a bit of Luna tonight, sandwiched between moisturizer applications, but think I might stop for a bit, like you said and see if its indeed the culprit for this bad breakout.

Many thanks for the other retinol suggestions! I strongly prefer clean skincare brands like Drunk Elephant and Biossance anyways...

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing