Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Treatment for Irritated Bumpy Skin

Hey All!  I'm looking for some kind of treatment for irritation and bumpiness on my skin.  I had a terrible breakout on my neck (still not sure what caused that) and was treating with BHA and AHA.  I usually use BHA on my neck, but broke out the AHA for this.  Most of the acne is gone, but I have a few raised bumps that I'm guessing are some sort of irritation.  I was looking at Algenist GENIUS Collagen Calming Relief 1.35 oz/ 40 mL and it looks like a good option, but it is expensive.  Anyone have thoughts on that for this kind of thing?  Or a product at a lower price point?  I don't have irritation like this often, so I don't want to buy a big tube of something.  I may just get a sample and see if that does it.

Or maybe I'm overthinking this and just need some cortisone cream?

As always, the BIC crowd gives great advice.  Thanks in advance.

Re: Treatment for Irritated Bumpy Skin

@sprocketta I'm pretty sure @WinglessOne has been trying this out, hopefully she can lead you on the best path 

@lmaster  @sprocketta  Yep, Algenist GENIUS Collagen Calming Relief 1.35 oz/ 40 mL was in the gratis package I recently received from Sephora, and it’s the first thing in that package I tested. I love it, but it’s mostly for soothing redness and dryness (according to Algenist), not bumpy irritation. For bumpiness, I’d stick with BHA and/or AHA—but don’t overuse the AHA or you’ll further irritate your skin. 

When my skin’s in red bumpy reaction mode, I take an antihistamine, wash the irritated skin with a mild cleanser, and apply a cold compress for a while. Sometimes I apply either a BHA or AHA, though I won’t do AHA if I used it within the last 2 days or if my bumps are itchy. For itchiness, I apply a hydrocortisone cream (my skin likes Aveeno’s). No matter what I apply, I usually top it with a moisturizer containing colloidal oatmeal. 

I hope your bad reaction calms down soon! Also hope you can figure out what caused it. 

Thanks @WinglessOne and @lmaster I decided to try cortisone cream first. I'll see what happens. Thank for the helpful info 

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing