Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Tough skin

I have really tough skin. I'm 38 with aging mostly oily skin with some small dry patches, some acne and wrinkles/fine lines. I've tried lots of treatments with little to no results (Drunk Elephant TLC Framboos Glycolic Night Serum, Sunday Riley Good Genes, Dr. Gross Alpha Beta Daily Peel,  Clinique Acne + Line Correcting Serum, Ole Henriksen's Invigorating Night Gel, retinol serums, etc.). I've used these treatments for at least 3+ months each and mostly nothing. I've used a lot of different moisturizers too.

Right now my night routine is:

Cleanse - usually Boscia's Thermal Black Cleanser or MakeUp-BreakUp Cool Cleansing Oil if I'm wearing makeup

Tone - Pixi Glow Tonic

Serums - PTR's AHA/BHA Acne Clearing Gel (just started this) with Sunday Riley's Good Genes on top

Moisturizer - Shiseido Ibuki Refining Moisturizer Enriched with a drop of Lipidol Overnight Face Oil

Eye Cream - whatever sample I have, right now Lancôme Genifique Yeux Youth Activating Eye Cream

My day routine is:

Cleanse - Boscia's Thermal Black Cleanser

Tone - Thayers Witch Hazel Rose Petal Toner

Serums - Oz Naturals Vitamin C Facial Serum, PTR's AHA/BHA Acne Clearing Gel (new) and Hylamide SubQ Anti-Aging Advanced Serum

Moisturizer - Murad's Anti-Aging Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 PA+++ or Paula's Choice Resist Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense Broad Spectrum SPF 30

I wait until each treatment is dry before putting the next one on. My skin is being maintained but I'm looking for something with some real results. I'm not asking for a miracle but it would be nice to find something that actually improves my skin. Any suggestions?

Re: Tough skin

I think your issue may be hydration. I have pretty similar skin and I notice a big improvement if I do a series of exfoliation and then hydration geared masks. Go to a spa and get a hydrating facial. I bet that will give you some relief. It looks like you're using a lot of drying agents to help with the acne, but you could be irritating your skin by accident. It's scary to think of hydrating skin that's oily and a tendency to break out, but it works! Make sure the products you use say hydrating vs moisturizing. 

Also, check your diet. I recently figured out dairy makes me break out almost immediately. I'm talking even a little feta and all my pores are going haywire. 

@catherineu2 It sounds like your problem is tough - which is problem why there aren't a lot of responses.  I found reading Paula Begoun's "Beauty Bible" demystified a lot for me.  Also, I would check beautypedia.com and looks at reviews for the products you are currently using.  The site consults with cosmetic chemists and dermatologists.  I was surprised to see how many products didn't work, were bad for skin, had low levels of ingredients or had packaging that decreased the effectiveness of products.  Good luck!

Sounds like you are using great products, but what results are you looking for? Sounds like you want something for combination skin that addresses antiaging and acne. The products you are using do address those concerns to some degree. Which product works well and which doesn't? Are you not satisfied with the results on acne, wrinkles or want something to make your skin more balanced?

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing