Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Toners!

Recently I was told to avoid toners with alcohol in them. I have always used Clinique toners which have alcohol. Does anyone know if the new glamglow super toner has alcohol in it? Or any good alcohol free toners?

RE: Toners!

Okay can some explain the difference between a toner and an essence?

Re: RE: Toners!

@lustylips  This varies a bit depending on the type of toner and type of essence as there are multiple types of each that function differently within routines. But basically, toners are preparing your skin for the rest of your routine while essences are more light-weight, less-concentrated versions of serums. 

RE: Toners!

Thanks everyone! I had been using the Clinique clarifying lotion as a toner..which I think is the problem. I have been trying to follow the k beauty skin care routine to help with some adult acne and it’s been working fairly well. I know toner comes before essence and I do use the tatcha essence (which I love). So I guess I’m trying to figure out the best product to use before the essence which is toner. So clarifying lotion is not toner...gah my life has been a lieee!!!

Re: RE: Toners!

@lustylips If you are looking for a K-beauty, @darlyndar raves about Pyunkang Yul Essence Toner.  I haven't had a chance to try it, but will in the future.  She says Gothamista has a video on it; I watched part of it and I was definitely intrigued.

You can check out this thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Korean-Beauty-East-Meets-West-Skincare-Edition/m-p/3...

RE: Re: RE: Toners!

Oh thank you!! So if it’s an “essence toner” would I still use an essence? I guess I’m really confused on the difference

Re: Toners!

@lustylips 

What are you looking for in a toner? Some sort of clarifying/acid/exfoliating benefit? Or simple moisture? I lean towards acid toners, so here's a list of ones I like:

Exuviance Soothing Toning Lotion

Andalou Naturals Clementine + C Illuminating Toner

Derma E Radiance Toner 

Kate Somerville Liquid Exfolikate

A few non-acid toners I like too:

Kiehl's Calendula toner

Andalou Quenching Coconut Milk Firming Toner

Elemis Soothing Apricot Toner

@lustylips  Clinique's Even Better Essence Lotions are quite superior to their Clarifying Lotions that have caused so many people issues.  They are supposed to be more like toners than essences, so you could try one of them - get the one that is made for your skin type.  I also read that  CLINIQUE Moisture Surge Face Spray

is a good basic toner.

Personally, I starting using Paula's Choice Brightening Essence (the lines between toners and essences can be blurry) and loved it so much from the sample that I bought the full size.  

Good luck!  🙂

@greeneyedgirl107 

Do you have a good source for the Even Better Essences? Clinique direct has one (Brighter), but the rest are extremely hard to find...there are a few 3rd party sellers on Amazon, but nothing super confidence-inspiring as for a source.

Beautypedia says the packaging for these claims "formulated for Asian skin" and I get the feeling these are/were made more for the Asian market, not necessarily the US. Would love to try one at some point, but I'm also opposed to $60 for a bottle of toner (which is the price for the one Clinique direct carries).

And never mind...just noticed that the 'Brighter' version has alcohol as the 3rd ingredient as well. Nope nope nope. 

@RGbrown  Hey there!  I should have been more specific - the Brighter version isn't ranked highly, but the Combo to Oily, and Very Dry to Dry Combination are.

I didn't search for sites that sold the Essences b/c I just figured they were readily available.  Now that I look into it, you are right that they seem to be MIA on US sites.  I find that strange since they were reviewed on beautypedia, and I always got the sense they were geared toward an American market.  You were smart of surmise that these products were made for the overseas market!  I was thinking of trying them myself as I've been wanting to try a toner.  But I guess I'm out of luck as well.  THANKS for the heads-up.  We can always count on you to read between the lines!  You have such a good eye!

@greeneyedgirl107 

I really wish Beautypedia would date their reviews (and also date any updates or changes to reviews). But, looking at the customer reviews, there are ones that date back 5 years, so I'm guessing it was available at least for a while (but a couple also mention having a hard time finding the product, so I dunno if it was ever widely available here or not).

The only reason I already knew this was a HTF item was I had looked at the Beautypedia best of list before and never could find a good source for it...I had also been wanting to try one or the other 😕

@RGbrown  You are always such a good beauty detective!  I have never checked the community reviews before, so I usually check those on Sephora or Ulta. 

You are also right that beautypedia needs to organize things better.  I remember when you could search by ingredients, and I miss that.  I do appreciate that they started reviewing some new brands though.

Related image

Hi @lustylips The Glamglow SUPERTONER is not alcohol free. I love the fresh Rose & Hyaluronic Acid Deep Hydration Toner 8.4 oz/ 250 mLwhich is alcohol free and very hydrating and soothing.

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 18 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing