cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Thoughts on supergoop unseen sunscreen?

Hi guys!

I have combination skin that leans more towards the oily side around my T-zone. I’m interested in looking at Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40 2.5 oz / 73.9 mL  and was wondering if anyone would share their thoughts? I like the idea that it’s a silicone consistency, but I’m wondering if it’s worth it with the price tag?

Thanks! 🙂

Tags:

Re: Thoughts on supergoop unseen sunscreen?

Hi @slimcedes ! I have mostly-dry combo skin: my oily zone's just on and around my nose. Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen is one of several sunscreens I rotate through on a weekly basis. It's also my primary travel sunscreen. 

This non-tinted chemical sunscreen definitely has a silicone consistency, so it can feel kinda greasy when first applied. But after 10-15 minutes (the time you should give ANY sunscreen to set up its protective barrier before you apply anything over it or go outside), it settles into a soft natural radiant finish; not matte at all, but not super glowy/shiny either. It can act as a makeup primer. 

Other pros (for me, anyway): 

• 100% invisible on all skin tones. 
  • Contains shea butter and dimethicone, 2 good moisturizing ingredients. In hot weather, I often use this sunscreen as a daytime moisturizer (instead of layering my usual moisturizer beneath it). 
  • Never gets in my eyes, thanks to its texture. My fairly sensitive eyes greatly appreciate it. 
  • Requires very little rubbing to apply. That's important for my reactive/inflammation-prone skin, especially my eye area. I often use Unseen Sunscreen around my eyes even if I use a different sunscreen on the rest of my face. 

Cons might be 2 of its ingredients, depending on your skin sensitivities: 

• Olibanum - aka frankincense, a perfuming extract. This sunscreen doesn't smell like frankincense at all. But if you're sensitive to fragrance components or olibanum in particular, Unseen Sunscreen might not be a good fit for you. 

• Diatomaceous earth - listing this only because a few folks have asked me why it's in this sunscreen. I'm not a cosmetic chemist and I don't work for Supergoop, so I can't confidently answer that question 😂—but I'm guessing it's not meant to be an abrasive exfoliant in this product. It does have some beneficial properties for skin, and it can keep products from caking up in their jars/tubes, so maybe that's why it's included. It's pretty far down Unseen Sunscreen's INCI list... not that you can tell everything about a product from its ingredient list, but it does give a high-level idea of what to expect. Anyway, this sunscreen never feels gritty at all on my skin. But if you know your skin's very sensitive to physical exfoliation, keep that in mind when considering this sunscreen. 

I always say if you can splurge on just one skincare product, make it sunscreen. Of course I like to spend the least amount of money possible, and there are some good cheaper sunscreens out there—but they may have different textures, UV blockers, tints, finishes, etc. than Unseen Sunscreen. It does come in a $20 USD mini size; you don't have to spend $44 on the biggest size (or $36 on the standard size) just to see if you like this sunscreen. Remember to check Sephora's Beauty Offers page to see if a free Unseen Sunscreen sample's available to add to your purchase. Sometimes other Supergoop samples are available there. 

Thank you! This is really informative 🙂

I dislike the silicone consistency (and also have normal to dry skin) but if you like that kind of texture, I think it’s a great sunscreen. The texture is almost like a pore filling primer. My fiancé has oily skin and he loves it. Doesn’t have any weird smells, and goes on totally clear.

Same. Combo here /dry in the winter. The texture reminded me of the original smashbox primer and kinda pore clogging. I’m not into pore filling primers so I’m probably not the right candidate for it anyway ha 

@slimcedes I have combo skin with a oily t zone and love Supergoop Unseen.  If you are hesitant I would try the mini size or get the suncare kit that's coming out that has it in it.

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 13 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing